6.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZDwyr

Really good to watch. Obviously still has to work on decision making and end product but he is a gem. Blind pipped him for MOTM IMO though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Imagine if we had him and ADM on the wings. . Or Martial, ADM and Shaw linking down the left.
Really pisses me off that Di Maria quit so early and didn't give it 1 more season. With a player like martial he could have had a good target to pass too.

I know he never really had his heart in it but it's a shame what could have been

Sylar

Were going to burn him out if were not careful. Right now he wont feel the effects of it but long term I think it may hurt him. Cant remember the last time he had a good rest.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Signing a proper winger (s) in the summer should be TOP priority o we can play him up top more often. He's outrageously good

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Surprised he's only got 5 assists this season.

Off the top of my head I remember the one where put it in off Rooney's thigh, won the penalty for a goal (WB?) and two last night.

Treble

It's sad that we can't afford to rest him even against Derby County. He can't play every game till the end of the season, surely?

InfiniteBoredom

I don't think he needs a break actually, maybe one after the Euro and that's it. The lad is young, strong and raring to go. He needs as much game time as possible, as long as he doesn't get injured. What fecked up the career of players like Owen and fat Ronaldo was injuries, you can argue it's partly due to them being burn out but I think a modern footballer should be able to play every week barring injuries across the season.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
His dribbling & close control of the ball in tight spaces is just amazing :drool:

I don't think he needs a break - we know how LVG is regarding his "red zone" and close monitoring of the condition of players, if him or his staff felt Martial was burnt out we would have seen some rotation.

Acole9

Outstanding
This lad is just special, I just hope we can build an excellent team around him for him to thrive in.

Varun

Staff
As long as he's playing out wide, we should work at isolating him vs the full back. Will always have the beat of him.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Him and Shaw would be a crazy good left flank. With that being said, what's Martials best position anyway?

Walters_19_MuFc

Him and Shaw would be a crazy good left flank. With that being said, what's Martials best position anyway?
For now, I'd say on the wing. Sees a lot more of the ball, very rarely has his back to goal and has more room to use pace and dribbling skills.

If we get a Martial type player on the right wing next season, we'll be very dangerous, in my opinion.

Owngoalscorer

Before his injury, Shaw was developing an excellent relationship with Memphis and we have seen how Shaw's absence has negatively affected Memphis' performances. I can see a great relationship developing between Martial & CBJ - they seem to really understand each-other position and passing wise and this bodes very well for the future.. will be interesting to see where this leaves us when Shaw eventually comes back.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Has to be left wing for me. He can beat players from wide in a way none of our other players can. We have players who can finish if Martial can get the crosses in, but we don't have players who can do what Martial does.

Tyrion

We haven't had a player as good at taking on full backs as him in years. He should be given more freedom to run at the opposition than he has so far.

Manny

Grammar Police
Were going to burn him out if were not careful. Right now he wont feel the effects of it but long term I think it may /hurt him. Cant remember the last time he had a good rest.
Not disagreeing but I'm starting to wonder how much this actually has an effect.

We've protected the likes of Jones, Welbeck, Cleverley somewhat early in their careers and it never paid off. We protected Smalling too yet he's had the least injuries under LvG where he's been the mainstay of our defence, although granted he may have just grown out of all the injuries.

I wonder if there's a case for modern young footballers needing to be played often to put an expectation on them to deliver performances, maintain focus and protect them from distractions outside of football. I think there might be a conditioning angle too, in that at the age of 19/20, its a good age to get a player's body comfortable playing 40-50 games a season.

Burnouts are a risk but it could be offset somewhat by the points above. I think Rio, Rooney and Lampard were examples of young players given responsibility at a 19/20 which has worked out well.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think it'll do Januzaj a world of good having a new star pupil in the class. Right now Martial is two levels above him. Quicker, stronger and more polished.

Sylar

We've protected the likes of Jones, Welbeck, Cleverley somewhat early in their careers and it never paid off.
Are we talking about injuries or ability? In terms of ability, the problem I have with those players is the number of positions theyve had (eg Jones as played CB, RB, DM) so I dont know if hes excelled at one or just been ok at all. Welbeck another example of somebody who has swapped between striker and LM. And in terms of injuries, Ithink somebody like Cleveley was unlucky (dont think he fully recovered from that Davies foul).

The argument obviously is our handling of Giggs and ronaldo (didnt Ronaldo get Xmas time off and then he would come back stronger second half of the season).
Then I look at people like Owen and Fowler who suffered later in their career.

I do think youre right cos you also look at somebody like Messi and think, this guy keeps going. Would love to see a study on this, but i would still lean towards people who have long careers would be managed better early in their career

Classical Mechanic

It is the combination of pace, power and ability on the ball. You don't see many players with that blend of attributes. The two Ronaldos are the only two that I can think of right now.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It is the combination of pace, power and ability on the ball. You don't see many players with that blend of attributes. The two Ronaldos are the only two that I can think of right now.
Yeah, quick players are rarely agile dribblers. People like Walcott/Bale etc never need to learn how to slalom or keep the ball close at a young age as their pace just makes it too easy for them. Only when they come up against proper athletes does this become more important. He's such an exciting player, you really do wonder how good he could be. I just hope we can get some other better players around him to bring out his full potential.

AttackingFlair

He's going to be scarily good when he improves his end product even more. Not sure which position I prefer him in but we certainly need performances like that from wide areas!

Polite Poster

Supports
Manchester City
Martial looks like a fantastic prospect.

Even playing in this underwhelming United team he oozes quality

Treble

I think that the praise Martial gets about a good performance against a shit defence is a bit over the top.

The real test is against teams from the top half of the PL and he is very inconsistent against them.

Against Southampton (at OT) he was very poor. His decision making hasn't been particularly good recently, the end product of his dribbles against quality defenders is often zero.

Of course, he's an exciting talent and I have praised him a lot on here. I was surprised how good he was in the first month or so. The money seem to be well spent. But as things stand right now he has a long way to go before becoming a genuine world class forward.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think that the praise Martial gets about a good performance against a shit defence is a bit over the top.

The real test is against teams from the top half of the PL and he is very inconsistent against them.

Against Southampton (at OT) he was very poor. His decision making hasn't been particularly good recently, the end product of his dribbles against quality defenders is often zero.

Of course, he's an exciting talent and I have praised him a lot on here. I was surprised how good he was in the first month or so. The money seem to be well spent. But as things stand right now he has a long way to go before becoming a genuine world class forward.
He's already a really really good player.

As for the big games this season:

Was easily the best player on the park when we played City.

Was the best attacker on the park against Chelsea.

Was our most useful attacking outlet vs Liverpool away from home albeit it was in a poor attacking display from us,

Destroyed Liverpool's defence scoring THAT goal at home.

Didn't play against Spurs.

In what was billed as our biggest game of the season and one that could have taken us into the knockout phase of the CL, scored the opening goal against Wolfsburg after which we sadly did lose.

We aren't a great attacking side so naturally his statistics aren't as good as they'd have been if he was playing this well for a team like Bayern or even City. Once we develop our attack and add some better players around him you'll see similar performances rewarded with more wins and assists rather than simply being one of the best in dull games.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Martial looks like a fantastic prospect.

Even playing in this underwhelming United team he oozes quality
Yep. His output is only decent right now, but when you look at it like his first season in the prem, playing on the wing mostly, and having just turned 20, it looks a lot better. Especially in this united side. Put him in a free flowing attacking side, like arsenal, city or even Leicester, or united teams of old, and I reckon he would have at least double the goals he has now.

Ignoring the goals and assists, his all around game is so good, can't wait to see how he is when he gets more quality around him and more freedom.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Ignoring the goals and assists, his all around game is so good, can't wait to see how he is when he gets more quality around him and more freedom.
If/when he adds more conviction and experience to his finishing, aerial game and movement we could have our own Weah-Eto'o hybrid. :drool:

Treble

He's already a really really good player.

As for the big games this season:

Was easily the best player on the park when we played City.

Was the best attacker on the park against Chelsea.

Was our most useful attacking outlet vs Liverpool away from home albeit it was in a poor attacking display from us,

Destroyed Liverpool's defence scoring THAT goal at home.

Didn't play against Spurs.

In what was billed as our biggest game of the season and one that could have taken us into the knockout phase of the CL, scored the opening goal against Wolfsburg after which we sadly did lose.

We aren't a great attacking side so naturally his statistics aren't as good as they'd have been if he was playing this well for a team like Bayern or even City. Once we develop our attack and add some better players around him you'll see similar performances rewarded with more wins and assists rather than simply being one of the best in dull games.
Maybe I'm being a bit harsh because I don't want to excuse some of his not so good performances and low productivity only with Rooney, Mata and the other being crap for most of the season. He has been fantastic in the first month or so and had some brilliant games since then as well. Maybe LVG has relied too much on him and failed to give him some rest, apart from changing his position on the pitch. I'm afraid he won't be fresh enough till the end of the season. The most difficult games are ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.