Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
:lol: Funny on paper, but they're not necessarilly contradictory statements.

A manager can go into a club with his preferred style of play and choose to implement it regardless of the players he has at his disposal. Others may take the view that they should adapt more to the players they have.

If they choose to imrpint their style on the club, then of course they're going to attempt to sign players that fit it better when it comes to transfers. It's not like they're going to purposefully buy players who don't, or keep ones who haven't performed well within the preffered tactical framework.

Two different stages. One talking about what to do at first, the other when it comes to shaping the squad.

He seemingly did play his preferred way and still wants to going off the later quotes, so nothing really changed there.
The point is it’s a bit stupid to play a style of play that doesn’t suit the players and it was obvious it didn’t suit some of the players. Being incapable of adapting your style of play to get the best out of the players at your disposal isn’t something to celebrate.

mu4c_20le

Finally decided to show up in the second half but it was too late. Still miles better football than ours though.

Rojofiam

I really don’t think it’s a question of running out of steam. They have played fewer games than almost anyone else in the league.

The issue is the tactics are naive and easily counteracted by top teams. The signs were there when Celtic played in Europe.
Celtic didn't play the way Spurs do under Ange.

Atheist

He’s clearly not good enough for a club aspiring to be in the top 4. Their football is a bit too naive. That said, they’ve done ok considering they lost Kane. Our brilliant manager who many can’t stop defending couldn’t manage a win against them.

Chipper

Adulterer.
The point is it’s a bit stupid to play a style of play that doesn’t suit the players and it was obvious it didn’t suit some of the players. Being incapable of adapting your style of play to get the best out of the players at your disposal isn’t something to celebrate.
I'd agree with that actually. It would certainly be my logic too, that compromise and pragmatism is necessary.

But then what do I know? I've seen managers lauded for sticking to their style no matter what. Bielsa comes to mind or Brendan Rogers when he was at Swansea. Even Guardiola and Klopp when they both first came to the Premier League to an extent. Results weren't fantastic at first. Others have been criticised for saying they can't play how they want to, or abandoning it to a degree like LVG after we lost away 5-3 to Leicester and Ten Hag now for saying we can't play like his Ajax side.

I can see some drawbacks in compromising, or at least compromising too much. Getting caught up in some sort of hodgepodge of an approach, where everything looks incoherent and never playing the way that got you the job in the first place. If results aren't great then people could question why you're even there. We often see comments along the lines of "at least if we could see signs of his system being implemented then that would be encouraging" when fans and pundits are talking about managers.

Last edited:

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Celtic didn't play the way Spurs do under Ange.
Does that really matter? Their are similarities in how he wants to set up, and the naivety is there and is being exposed constantly.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Same reservations I had when he was Celtic, if we were to come to the prem. I will reserve judgement to next season to see if he becomes more pragmatic, if he stays the same he's toast.

Rojofiam

Does that really matter? Their are similarities in how he wants to set up, and the naivety is there and is being exposed constantly.
I think he's a good manager but agree that he can be very naive. The suicidal high line vs Chelsea was the first big indicator of that and I got slated on here for saying it was idiotic from him.

He was very quickly overrated at the start of the season, but feel like now it's gone the opposite way as usual, due to results. Same happened with De Zerbi, even ten Hag, etc. The fickleness of football fans in full force.

He's a good manager and more than capable of delivering top 4 next season, which is the next step for their project, if they strengthen the team properly.

Marwood

I think he's a good manager but agree that he can be very naive. The suicidal high line vs Chelsea was the first big indicator of that and I got slated on here for saying it was idiotic from him.

He was very quickly overrated at the start of the season, but feel like now it's gone the opposite way as usual, due to results. Same happened with De Zerbi, even ten Hag, etc. The fickleness of football fans in full force.

He's a good manager and more than capable of delivering top 4 next season, which is the next step for their project, if they strengthen the team properly.
More than fans I think it's the pundits and media.

Guys who've been in the game, most at the top level, consistently get overexcited by a few months of good football. You'd think of all people they'd know to at least give it a season before declaring manager is a genius.

JogaBonitoRooney

Will still finish above United, Chelsea and Newcastle in his first season with a weaker squad. He's done well.

Someone

Something
They aren't having a bad season, since 5th is an improvement on their previous one, but it's obvious that he's one dimensional and naive for this level. This could cost him the dressing room easily. He'll be sacked midway through next season.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Will still finish above United, Chelsea and Newcastle in his first season with a weaker squad. He's done well.
That's fair. League position-wise, 5th was about as good as it was going to be.

Obviously Chelsea and Man United absolutely shitting the bed didn't have much to do with Spurs but regardless, he's done well.