Alternative midfield targets

A player I really rate is Danilo at Nottingham Forest. Whenever I’ve seen him play he’s looked like their best player. He’s only 23, got great energy, two footed, reads the game really well, got Brazilian flare and should be obtainable for 30ish million.

A player I really rate is Danilo at Nottingham Forest. Whenever I’ve seen him play he’s looked like their best player. He’s only 23, got great energy, two footed, reads the game really well, got Brazilian flare and should be obtainable for 30ish million.

I take this Danilo guy any day over players like Berge, Danilo can be very good B2B midfielder with good ball progressing skills, not sure how much Forrest will want him though.

Ugarte/Fofana/Danilo/Rabiot, I am happy to get one or 2 from this list if we can clear Scott/Eriksen/Hannibal.

Athletic article says we are looking at low cost irrelevant of sales, that says Amrabat or Rabiot. Maybe we then go back for Ugarte/Berge/Fofana if we can sell McTominay, Hannibal and Pellistri

Athletic article says we are looking at low cost irrelevant of sales, that says Amrabat or Rabiot. Maybe we then go back for Ugarte/Berge/Fofana if we can sell McTominay, Hannibal and Pellistri

I think Fofana and Berge fall into the low-cost category as well. I have a hunch it's going to be Fofana and I'd be satisfied with that.

And then it depends on his demands but I can see us getting Rabiot too. Bear in mind though that he probably won't want to sit out a whole season at 29, so the closer we are to Sept 1 the higher the pressure is going to be on him. Or maybe as a free agent he can sign after the deadline too?

Overall Fofana+Rabiot would be great IMO.

Last edited:
I think Fofana and Berge fall into the low-cost category as well. I have a hunch it's going to be Fofana and I'd be satisfied with that.

And then it depends on his demands but I can see us getting Rabiot too. Bear in mind though that he probably won't want to sit out a whole season at 29, so the closer we are to Sept 1 the higher the pressure is going to be on him. Or maybe as a free agent he can sign after the deadline too?

Overall Fofana+Rabiot would be great IMO.

There just isn't noise about Rabiot from the usual Utd sources, still think Ugarte isn't dead in the water if we can manage to sell a couple of midfielders.

Last edited:
If we were actually interested in João Neves, then I'd probably say the best alternatives would be Mateus Fernandes and Exequiel Palacios. Neither would be cheap and probably not doable this summer though. Palacios is also injured currently.

Another potentially good option could be Rodrigo Zalazar, playing for Braga. I think his passing is solid, he's quite good technically, he's creative and he just turned 25. Defensively he could be better, although I am not sure, since I haven't seen enough of him yet, but he seems busy enough. If we are actually looking at Fofana, I think he could be a decent alternative, depending on the fee.

Last edited:
If we were actually interested in João Neves, then I'd probably say the best alternatives would be Mateus Fernandes and Exequiel Palacios. Neither would be cheap and probably not doable this summer though. Palacios is also injured currently.

Another potentially good option could be Rodrigo Zalazar, playing for Braga. I think his passing is solid, he's quite good technically, he's creative and he just turned 25. Defensively he could be better, althought I am not sure, since I haven't seen enough of him yet, but he seems busy enough. If we are actually looking at Fofana, I think he could be a decent alternative, depending on the fee.

Who do Palacios and Fernandes play for?

It’s been quiet on the Rios front

When was the last time we got any news about him?

Mangala worth a look?

Not based on what I've seen for Forest or Belgium. He's not bad, but not a top 6 player.

Nuamah's dribbling stats are up there with the best in Europe, so I could definitely see him being signed for a surprisingly huge fee by someone who wants a Doku of their own.

What's Andre been up to for Fluminese these past few months? I saw him get linked to Fulham a week or so ago and on the basis of his Copa Libertadores tournament I'd say he'd be a great signing for them or anyone else.