Alphonso Davies | Verbally agreed to join Real Madrid

They don’t want to pay for anybody lately. The amount of talent they get for free just by being Real Madrid…
Dumping €120m on Hazard, 60m on Jovic and handing out €20m per year contracts to Alaba et al. will make you a bit cautious...

Besides, they do still spend: 50m on Endrick, 110m on Bellingham, 80m on Tchouameni.
Had they not sold Theo they wouldn't even need a LB, but...

Dumping €120m on Hazard, 60m on Jovic and handing out €20m per year contracts to Alaba et al. will make you a bit cautious...

Besides, they do still spend: 50m on Endrick, 110m on Bellingham, 80m on Tchouameni.
Had they not sold Theo they wouldn't even need a LB, but...

I think people need to get this right. Real dont want to pay clubs big amounts maybe but like you said, big contracts to Alaba, 100m signing bonus to Mbappe, all throws out the narrative that players sign for them for free because they are Madrid.. They still pay alot.

If that - but that is unrelated to what that poster was saying. :)
It was admittedly tongue in cheek ;) But realistically Davies' market is smaller than he and his advisor think. That's why I see a good chance that he stays. Real have extended Mendy and won't pay Davies the €20m he's seeking.

City have Gvardiol, Arsenal Zinchenko, Chelsae has Cucurella and Chilwell, Barca has Balde, PSG has Mendes.

Realistically it should be between Bayern and Real since Mendy isn't all that and Bayern has no real alternative on the market. I would swap DAvis for Theo in a heartbeat but who else is there? Dimarco? Udogie?

It was admittedly tongue in cheek ;) But realistically Davies' market is smaller than he and his advisor think. That's why I see a good chance that he stays. Real have extended Mendy and won't pay Davies the €20m he's seeking.

City have Gvardiol, Arsenal Zinchenko, Chelsae has Cucurella and Chilwell, Barca has Balde, PSG has Mendes.

Realistically it should be between Bayern and Real since Mendy isn't all that and Bayern has no real alternative on the market. I would swap DAvis for Theo in a heartbeat but who else is there? Dimarco? Udogie?

Udogie is genuinely fantastic. I don’t think he’s gettable to be honest, unless Bayern are willing to massively overpay, we’re talking crazy money in the region of £90-100m. It’s Tottenham. No one ever signs a top talent from them for a reasonable fee (aside from Modric).

I don’t see why United would be such an unrealistic potential landing spot for Davies, if United are willing to meet his salary demands. I imagine Ten Hag won’t be their manager next season, so whoever replaces him could be somebody Davies fancies working with. Staying put is probably his best option, but if he really wants a new challenge away from the German league, then …

Yeah apart from Hernandez, there's no real top talent in that position currently.
Udogie is genuinely fantastic. I don’t think he’s gettable to be honest, unless Bayern are willing to massively overpay, we’re talking crazy money in the region of £90-100m. It’s Tottenham. No one ever signs a top talent from them for a reasonable fee (aside from Modric).

I don’t see why United would be such an unrealistic potential landing spot for Davies, if United are willing to meet his salary demands. I imagine Ten Hag won’t be their manager next season, so whoever replaces him could be somebody Davies fancies working with. Staying put is probably his best option, but if he really wants a new challenge away from the German league, then …
I don't think Utd are going to be that kind of club anymore, the sounds coming from the new regime are that we're going to be much more disciplined when it comes to salaries.

Zinchenko is pretty poor these days, I'd say Calafiori is our starting LB now. I think Davies is better than both of them but I can't see him signing for us without huge wages, which I don't think we'd give.

I don't think Utd are going to be that kind of club anymore, the sounds coming from the new regime are that we're going to be much more disciplined when it comes to salaries.

Fair enough. That's good for United. Finding players and building a team that fits in with Yoro, Mainoo, Garnacho, Hojlund, Zirkzee, Diallo is a good road to go down.

I would assume that Davies wants a "guarantee" to challenge in the CL. And United haven't done that for almost 15 years.

Unless we blow everyone out of the water (which we won't), he isn't coming here. We are a Europa level club.

Surprised that we’re even being linked to Davies. He seems dead set on joining Madrid. I think we’ll ride it out this season with Shaw, Dalot and Malacia at LB and may bring in a cost effective option next summer or hope that Amass is able to make it into the first team.

Surprised that we’re even being linked to Davies. He seems dead set on joining Madrid. I think we’ll ride it out this season with Shaw, Dalot and Malacia at LB and may bring in a cost effective option next summer or hope that Amass is able to make it into the first team.
I missed that. Was that a concrete source or some BS?

I missed that. Was that a concrete source or some BS?
It's from Florian Plettenberg. He keeps reporting that we're monitoring Davies's situation at this time. It makes sense as United tend to closely monitor players who will soon become free agents. They did the same with Frimpong until he signed a new contract with Bayer Leverkusen.

Doubt he'd want to come here under Ten Hag. Him and Trent will be at Real Madrid next season.

We have a long-standing issue at LB, he’s one of the most renowned LBs in the game, on an outgoing contract aswell. As unlikely a signing he might seem at this point in time, you’d still expect the club to be keeping tabs on his situation.

It's from Florian Plettenberg. He keeps reporting that we're monitoring Davies's situation at this time. It makes sense as United tend to closely monitor players who will soon become free agents. They did the same with Frimpong until he signed a new contract with Bayer Leverkusen.
Well, I have been monitoring Adriana Lima for about 10 years, so...

I think he's very overrated to be honest. The sort of player who you don't watch much of but just assume is good due to past performances and hype.
Who is the "you" in your statement? I've followed his career since July 2016, from the moment he stepped onto the field aged fifteen at BC Place stadium for the Vancouver Whitecaps against Orlando. I've never seen a fifteen-year-old have an impact like that, so immediately head and shoulders above everyone else. Yes, it was the Whitecaps, and yes, it was MLS, but nothing I've seen since, with him playing for the Canadian national team fifty-six times (and he's still only 23) and one of the top club sides in world football in Bayern Munich, has changed my opinion that he's an immense talent. Absolutely nothing to do with hype. You might not have watched him much, and that's clear, but trust me, this player has earned all the accolades he's received, especially given the rough hand he was dealt from birth.

Who is the "you" in your statement? I've followed his career since July 2016, from the moment he stepped onto the field aged fifteen at BC Place stadium for the Vancouver Whitecaps against Orlando. I've never seen a fifteen-year-old have an impact like that, so immediately head and shoulders above everyone else. Yes, it was the Whitecaps, and yes, it was MLS, but nothing I've seen since, with him playing for the Canadian national team fifty-six times (and he's still only 23) and one of the top club sides in world football in Bayern Munich, has changed my opinion that he's an immense talent. Absolutely nothing to do with hype. You might not have watched him much, and that's clear, but trust me, this player has earned all the accolades he's received, especially given the rough hand he was dealt from birth.
He is/was a huge talent and in his first few seasons he was outstanding. But it's also true that he hasn't developed in the last three years. He sometimes makes horrendous decisions (especially in his defensive behaviour), whether due to nonchalance or poor positioning. He can often compensate with his insane athleticism, but that's not development. In my opinion, he's better again this season. Maybe because he has realised that neither Bayern nor Real will pay him 20m a year. He's a great guy and if he finds his form again I'd love to have him in the team. Otherwise, I hope Bayern at least give Theo a call.

The "you" wasn't specific to that individual poster. It was generic. I agree in terms of natural talent, Davies isn't lacking. I'm speaking from the point of view of a consistent performance level. He's one of those players who casual observers just assume is brilliant week after week because he's great on FIFA or has wonderful stats on Football Manager. He comes with a Galactico type of platform. To give another example from Bayern, the error prone Upamecano is similar. Though perhaps his hype has died down a little in the last year or so.

As you say, Davies is still a young player and I'm not stating that he can't/won't go on to be a top player. Indeed he has shown a very high level at various points in the past. My point was more that he doesn't display that level as consistently as you would think. Generic "you" once more.

Fulham's Robinson fits us far better anyway:
  • Need someone who's defensively sound because we aren't dominating most teams these days, so we can't have somone like Davies who's far more attacking than defensive
  • Need a workhorse because we aren't controlling games and we need someone who can play in chaos ball
  • Need someone who has a history of being injury-free because we're all tired of long-term injuries to defenders
  • Need someone who can hit the ground running and arguably Robinson is the most consistent Premier League LB for two years running
  • Need someone who won't come on a fat paycheck we'll regret for years, Davies would only come if we completely over spent on him