Ally McCoist meets Sir Alex

It is crazy how availability is almost impossible in 2024. Teams seem to be focusing on quickness over durability in youth ranks

He was apart of that malaise though. He recommended we bring in Moyes. Constantly talked about no value in the market to protect our new owners. He left an aging team. It would've won under a Jose type I believe, but it needed serious help long term.

I'll always love him but I don't love what and how he left it.
It wasn’t half as bad as how Sir Matt left it for Wilf though, Christ it was so bad poor Wilfs hair fell out almost overnight.

First, appreciate sharing the video. Second, the key was setting the right expectations - the great man was clear on this one. Our expectations are our club has fallen.
Expectation and aspiration, equally. He talked about going up against Real and Bayern as underdog without an ounce of fear and core belief that they can be beaten. No cowing, no hesitancy; it's that kind of belief that makes everyone around you believe, and particularly, not be afraid to fail, instead, using defeats to fuel victory and legacy. He spoke about us always avenging a 2nd place with a league title the next season. The standards set were just incredible. Funnily enough, he also talks about how he grew the club, in a roundabouts way, and I'd say that's not just about the football we played, but what we represented: a fire it was extremely easy to buy into and be absorbed by.
He was apart of that malaise though. He recommended we bring in Moyes. Constantly talked about no value in the market to protect our new owners. He left an aging team. It would've won under a Jose type I believe, but it needed serious help long term.

He made lemonade from manky lemons, for the most part, post-Glazers and their rinsing of the club. I am of the opinion he left the squad as it was so the new man could bring in his own players with the money saved, unfortunately, he made a terrible call with Moyes. That's an honest mistake, though - the bigger failing was Gill not handing the keys to a competent team who would oversee operations and pull the plug on managers in good time.

When you hear him talk, even now, you see how far our standards as a club have fallen. Nothing to do with ability in and of itself, but the burning fire to better yourself and be the absolute best you can be. On top of that, we have lost our vengeance, and that's something I have known nothing but from us since a child, that you fight with everything until the very end.

The way we are has made so many fans passive and docile, accepting of the dross served up, not taking onboard what drove us was an indomitable energy that made every player and member of the playing staff ceaseless in their desire to improve, lest they be turfed out.

We don't aspire to anything anymore, nothing genuine anyway. Empty words and saying what people want to hear is not at all the same as the spirit we used to carry.
TBH it's a society thing, not just a United or even a football thing

Kids used to aspire to be a train driver, a doctor, a footballer and so on, , it started out as being the star in a reality tv show and now it's a Tik-ToK or YouTuber, being 'famous' is the only aspiration for a lot of them, nothing else matters

TBH it's a society thing, not just a United or even a football thing

Kids used to aspire to be a train driver, a doctor, a footballer and so on, , it started out as being the star in a reality tv show and now it's a Tik-ToK or YouTuber, being 'famous' is the only aspiration for a lot of them, nothing else matters

If Rashford would just stop blowing all his money on avocado toast and takeaway coffees he'd be scoring 30 a season.

He left a team that cantered to the title.

That squad he left us had just won the league

RvP won us the title that year.

Maybe 2 or 3 others had decent seasons.
You don't win the league with 89 points and scoring 86 goals by relying on one player. He was obviously a massive part of our success but it's worth remembering that he also had a dry spell in that season when he went two months without a goal. We had more than two or three decent players in that team.

You don't win the league with 89 points and scoring 86 goals by relying on one player. He was obviously a massive part of our success but it's worth remembering that he also had a dry spell in that season when he went two months without a goal. We had more than two or three decent players in that team.

I didn't say we only had two or three decent players. I said only 2 or 3 had decent seasons. Seasons you expect of title winners. It was far from vintage. No way we are winning that league without the signing of RvP.

Moyes never got that version of RvP. Nobody did from that point on. Was his last top season.

Look what happened to all those players shortly after. Retired or dropped levels or never fulfilled what we'd hoped they'd become.

Buy players that are available every week.

Simple but great advice.
My first thought was about Mount when he said that. But then I also thought... well Sir Alex did go out and buy Owen Hargreaves who was a known crock