Ally McCoist meets Sir Alex

Great watch - and Ally McCoist is the perfect guy to have a conversation with him.

Buy players that are available every week.

Simple but great advice.

Simple but great advice.

That part was what interested me most - recruitment. A lot of pieces regarding that are a true reflection of some of the problems you've had with recruitment recently.

That part was what interested me most - recruitment. A lot of pieces regarding that are a true reflection of some of the problems you've had with recruitment recently.

Basically you're better off with a Phil Neville than a Luke Shaw.

Simple but great advice.

Feels like a dig at our past recruitment policies, whether it’s players constantly injured or worse, players who are unavailable through indiscipline and/or not giving a feck.

Feels like a dig at our past recruitment policies, whether it’s players constantly injured or worse, players who are unavailable through indiscipline and/or not giving a feck.

Could be, but I don't think so, it's more just a recollection on how he went about building his teams. A player who can be a 6 out of 10 every week is better than someone who might 8 or 9 out 10 every other week if they're available. If you look back through his teams, he very rarely kept players who he felt couldn't be relied on to contribute when needed.

No matter how many times I listen to the Master, there always seems to be something interesting that I've not heard before.

100%. The best ability is availability.

I remember when LvG spent a summer going after Thomas Vermaelen, who might've have been the most perennially injured player at that time. It seemed brainless, and thankfully didn't come to fruition.

1 minute in and he's asked SAF whether he's on good form 3 times :lol:

How Ironic that we have people clamouring to get rid of Erik and I'm just watching Fergie talk about how he went the whole of December of 89/90 having won 0 games out of 8. He also lost a Derby 5-1 a few months beforehand. Food for thought.

How Ironic that we have people clamouring to get rid of Erik and I'm just watching Fergie talk about how he went the whole of December of 89/90 having won 0 games out of 8. He also lost a Derby 5-1 a few months beforehand. Food for thought.
No it’s not.

Dick Donald is an Aberdeen legend. Man Utd owe him a huge debt also.

Never really thought of it that way. Imagine how great Erik will be after having a shit 18 months instead of just a shit month.

The best ability is availability.

Sounds simple, but it’s true. What’s the point in having a great player if he isn’t on the pitch?

Never really thought of it that way. Imagine how great Erik will be after having a shit 18 months instead of just a shit month.
To be fair Fergie had a terrible season in the league that year they won the FA cup

The best ability is availability.

Sounds simple, but it’s true. What’s the point in having a great player if he isn’t on the pitch?
No idea.

I cannot stand the "on his day " or "when he's fit" players we've seen in a Utd shirt over the last 10 years.

Whose bright idea was it to get two Scot’s talking on camera together?!

“Och ach aye wee och wee aye och!”

Can we get subtitles? Not a fecking word!! :lol:

Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!

Last edited:

Simple but great advice.
That is something I'll remember most from the interview.

Such a basic thing but golden advice. And he remembered that for over 3 decades of managing. Buy players that work and want to play every week!

Had to put subtitles on. Brilliant though!

Nice, short interview with some insight into Sir Alex's early career.
Amazing what he achieved with Aberdeen, alone.

Whose bright idea was it to get two Scot’s talking on camera together?!

“Och ach aye wee och wee aye och!”

Can we get subtitles? Not a fecking word!! :lol:

Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!
I've not watched it yet but this is what I suspect it to be.

I'd like to see Pat Nevin involved as well. Three Glaswegians* "talking" together. How long until one replies with ".......eh?!"

*Yes, yes, McCoist isn't really Glaswegian but who cares.

Loved that, though in fairness I’ve gotten to the stage where I love to see any footage of Sir Alex.

Maybe there’s a realisation that I didn’t appreciate him quite as much as I could have when he was manager. Don’t get me wrong, I knew he was great and adored him, but when you’re that good, and winning so much, it’s easy to take it all for granted.

Maybe it’s also a bit of acknowledgement that what he did will never happen again. That era, that style of play, those players, and the game as a whole during the 90s and 00s, was a joy to behold. Could just be nostalgia speaking, but the heart aches when you remember some of the great triumphs during his reign. Absolute magic.

My favourite comment was “Your job is to get footballers who send fans home happy”

Safe to say our managers since have left us down.

My favourite comment was “Your job is to get footballers who send fans home happy”

Safe to say our managers since have left us down.
It goes back to Sir Matt Busby. He lived by the "we must entertain the fans who have had a hards week work" attitude.

But some fans call others spoilt when they criticise our awful football.

When you hear him talk, even now, you see how far our standards as a club have fallen. Nothing to do with ability in and of itself, but the burning fire to better yourself and be the absolute best you can be. On top of that, we have lost our vengeance, and that's something I have known nothing but from us since a child, that you fight with everything until the very end.

The way we are has made so many fans passive and docile, accepting of the dross served up, not taking onboard what drove us was an indomitable energy that made every player and member of the playing staff ceaseless in their desire to improve, lest they be turfed out.

We don't aspire to anything anymore, nothing genuine anyway. Empty words and saying what people want to hear is not at all the same as the spirit we used to carry.

When you hear him talk, even now, you see how far our standards as a club have fallen. Nothing to do with ability in and of itself, but the burning fire to better yourself and be the absolute best you can be. On top of that, we have lost our vengeance, and that's something I have known nothing but from us since a child, that you fight with everything until the very end.

The way we are has made so many fans passive and docile, accepting of the dross served up, not taking onboard what drove us was an indomitable energy that made every player and member of the playing staff ceaseless in their desire to improve, lest they be turfed out.

We don't aspire to anything anymore, nothing genuine anyway. Empty words and saying what people want to hear is not at all the same as the spirit we used to carry.
First, appreciate sharing the video. Second, the key was setting the right expectations - the great man was clear on this one. Our expectations are our club has fallen.

He was apart of that malaise though. He recommended we bring in Moyes. Constantly talked about no value in the market to protect our new owners. He left an aging team. It would've won under a Jose type I believe, but it needed serious help long term.

I'll always love him but I don't love what and how he left it.