Music Albums with great sound

Are you talking vinyl?

Too much of a generalisation to say certain albums have “great sound” in many cases as the variation in pressing quality is ridiculous.

Yeah, APP is mostly excellent throughout. I just highlighted Silence and I because I always thought it's quite amazing how 'transparent' the orchestral section is (many parts playing simulaneously yet all still distinguishable), but that applies to pretty much any of their albums. Genesis 1.32 (from I Robot) is another standout in that regard.

It's not always easy to recognize which albums really stand up in a high-quality sound environment. I love the sound of Pure Reason Revolution's The Dark Third, but play it loud and it just gets annoyingly loud; it doesn't become this sort of immersive sound experience that you get from really well produced albums. In that sense, I love Gabriel's III (very unique with its total lack of cymbals, too), but I have no idea how it will stand up. And I'm not sure about the Bloc Party and Oceansize albums I mentioned in that regard either, to be honest. Marillion's Brave is supposed to be like that though, although it never really did it for me.

Come to think of it, Elbow's Leaders of the Free World might also be good. And probably XTC's Skylarking and Nonsuch. I would also think Steely Dan probably has good albums for this, but I don't follow them myself.

Oh, since you mention Pink Floyd, have you tried Roger Waters's Amused To Death?
Not yet. Don't think I will, if I am being honest. Not the biggest fan of his solo work. But Steely Dan is a good shout. Gonna have to try them out. Would be surprised if they didn't sound well.

Tried quite a bit of stuff the last few days. One that blew me away was Alabama 3 - Exile On Coldharbour Lane, especially Mao Tse Tung said. So beautiful, so violent, so driven and clean. Works really well.
And I tried Brian Eno's Music for Airports and it was even better than expected.

Gotta thank the people in this thread for their recommendations. I have put quite a bit of the stuff mentioned in my list and will give lots of it a try.

Not yet. Don't think I will, if I am being honest. Not the biggest fan of his solo work. But Steely Dan is a good shout. Gonna have to try them out. Would be surprised if they didn't sound well.
Hitchhiking is like an (even) poorer version of The Final Cut and Radio KAOS is terrible, but I think Amused To Death is genuinely great (just about three songs too long at the end) and really worth the effort if you don't know it yet. I'll stop there though, this isn't the Pink Floyd thread. :)

Dark Side of the Moon - Floyd -Allan Parsons genius engineer
Morrison Hotel-Doors
Highway to Hell - AC DC - crystal clear guitar notes
Any Led Zeppelin Album - nothing sounds like a Zep album
Rumours - Fleetwood Mac

In terms of production CLAs work on Paramore's album Riot is right up there. Amazingly balanced.

Don't like the band and the album is kinda meh but the production blew me away at the time.

Close 2nd would be Boston's album Boston, production holds up today. Simply amazing.

Dark Side of the Moon - Floyd -Allan Parsons genius engineer
Morrison Hotel-Doors
Highway to Hell - AC DC - crystal clear guitar notes
Any Led Zeppelin Album - nothing sounds like a Zep album
Rumours - Fleetwood Mac
Good choices, Highway to Hell is AC DC at their best, Bon Scott, powerful, smooth sound but still a rawness to it, great album.
Also ,
LA Woman - The Doors
Joes Garage - Zappa
Abbey Rd - The Beatles
Ziggy Stardust - Bowie