Adidas x Stone Roses to release Manchester United collection (Entrance music discussion at OT also)

Gary Neville got it banned because Balboa wasn't from Manchester. No one had the heart to tell Gary, Rocky was a fictional character.

I'm sure Gary Nev said he felt it wasn't particularly relevant to Manchester. I like This is the One...it's Manchester United. Fanfare is great and all.

They had certain distribution rights with MGM.

Can't find anything on it but you could be right. But I don't think that would stop United using it as an entrance song. The club I imagine would just have to pay a fee or something.

Last edited:
I'm sure Gary Nev said he felt it wasn't particularly relevant to Manchester. I like This is the One...it's Manchester United. Fanfare is great and all.

No doubt but he actually said Rocky was from Philadelphia not Manchester. :lol:

“When I changed it all those years ago, we were listening to [the theme from the film] Rocky. I mean, I love Rocky, don't get me wrong, what a hero Rocky is, but he's from Philadelphia. He isn't from Manchester. We have to have something here that's authentic.

It’s now getting on for two decades that United have been walking out to This is the One and naturally Neville wants the connection to remain for years and years to come.

“That song should never, ever be moved from that position of being the song that Manchester United walk out to, you know?” he added.

“For me, Manchester United is the one. That's it. Simple as that.

“The bond between the song This Is the One and Manchester United cannot be broken. You cannot change that anymore.

“It's part of what Manchester United is and I'm all for thinking forward, being modern. But there are some things that you have to respect. This is the One is one of those things.”

From the same interview. Gary Neville ok with knocking Old Trafford down after more than 100 years of being the clubs home but you can't change the entrance song he picked while captain 18 years ago. Because ''there are some things that you have to respect.'' :confused:

Like I said think they allowed the deal to lapse, I used to enjoy it especially in the big games.

Me too mate. I'm sure they could play it again if they want, don't think you need any sort of formal contract. But to be fair I wouldn't have a clue.

From the same interview. Gary Neville ok with knocking Old Trafford down after more than 100 years of being the clubs home but you can't change the entrance song he picked while captain 18 years ago. Because ''there are some things that you have to respect.'' :confused:
Is this true ?

Pretty sure that This Is The One was not the entrance music when Nev was captain, but became the last song played before the Rocky Fanfare instead. Ian Brown did sing it for the entrance at his testimonial, but I believe that was the first time.

Barcelona 2008

Fulham 2010