Television Aaron Sorkin's The Newsroom on HBO

Brophs

The One and Only
Suits is good, popcorn-y fun, sort of like Prison Break (early seasons) but it's not going to go down as great or classic tv in the way The West Wing did, for example.

Cina

Obviously it's never going down as a classic, but for sheer entertainment, there aren't many that beat it.

I find it far more enjoyable than say, Boardwalk Empire or The Walking Dead, both of which constantly get critical acclaim.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Have not watched BE yet... The Walking Dead got panned by plenty of critics for its second season. Take a look at the caf thread even and you will see plenty complaining about it.

There is also a difference between enjoying something and rating it.

Brophs

The One and Only
Obviously it's never going down as a classic, but for sheer entertainment, there aren't many that beat it.

I find it far more enjoyable than say, Boardwalk Empire or The Walking Dead, both of which constantly get critical acclaim.
Yeah, definitely. Sometimes watching the likes of Breaking Bad can be a slog, too, as it's pretty heavy, whereas Suits is just balls-to-the-wall fun.

That said I haven't watched The Walking Dead because zombies are for benders*.

*Don't whine, you know I'm right.

Cina

The Walking Dead is shit, I cannot understand the acclaim it gets, in fact I only really watch it cause everyone else does and if I've feck all else to watch.

Agree about the BB thing, I mean, it and Mad Men are probably two of the greatest shows ever made, but at times they can be slow and very depressing, so in a way not that enjoyable. Suits on the other hand, you know what you're getting every week and it's generally always a good watch.

crappycraperson

Scout
Well I actually enjoy watching almost any episode of MM or BB more than Suits so it is different for me.

Lastwolf

The relationship tetrahedron continues...

The Sloan bit was way out of left field and unnecessary, almost out of character if she wasn't so out there already.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Oh great. MORE relationship stuff. I've been saying all along that's what this show needs.

Why does Olivia Munn keep saying she's socially inept? You can't just make a character trait a trait just by someone saying it!

What character is Emily Mortimer playing now?

LARulz

Absolute crap. Will still probably watch the second season.

Noticed that when playing clips they were playing it on a Apple desktop but on a Dell. Was that just stupidity from them?

crappycraperson

Scout
This episode could easily have been good. They were some good bits there and the structure was not that bad. In mean in the context of this show, they could have produced a belting season finale.

Instead they decided to poop in as much as romantic drama they could. The sloan-Don stuff? Why? I was hoping they decided to blow all their load on such crap last week but noooooooooooo..... more pain.

And that Fat ellen page rant.. urrrghhhhh.. They have also more or less butchered Mortimier's character now for me. Her sole goal in life now seems to be to get back with Will rather than do anything else it seems.

Finally all that Dev Patel and internet stuff... what the feck was the point of that all?

Brophs

The One and Only
Oh right, so McKenzie is whacking a guy with internal bleeding. That would definitely happen.

Brophs

The One and Only
Oh, feck off. The Sex and the City tour scene was the worst thing I've ever seen.

Brophs

The One and Only
feck me, how many payoffs did they think they needed?

Brophs

The One and Only
I love the way they have made Will a "Republican" to give the illusion of balance, this is left-wing propaganda and nothing more.
I love the way they made Rupert Murdoch a woman so as to blur the lines between real life. It took me 9 episodes but I eventually figured out what they were driving at. Crafty bastards.

Leg-End

So they saddled next season with a five way romance instead of killing off the four way romance when it was perfectly all ready to wrap up, why why why.

I don't know if its writing or acting but the revelation that Sloan likes Don was just total bullshit. I mean there hasn't been a single scene (unless I've not noticed it) that gave any indication of that coming and it wasn't a "oh shit, thats quite a turn of events" in a good way, it was "what the feck?" in a bad way.

The Sex and the City bit was hacky as feck.

Still enjoyed the season though, they could quite easily remedy this show with a couple more interesting characters and less of the relationship shite.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
So they saddled next season with a five way romance instead of killing off the four way romance when it was perfectly all ready to wrap up, why why why.

I don't know if its writing or acting but the revelation that Sloan likes Don was just total bullshit. I mean there hasn't been a single scene (unless I've not noticed it) that gave any indication of that coming and it wasn't a "oh shit, thats quite a turn of events" in a good way, it was "what the feck?" in a bad way.

The Sex and the City bit was hacky as feck.

Still enjoyed the season though, they could quite easily remedy this show with a couple more interesting characters and less of the relationship shite.
Five-way? More like a sexagonal. Slumdog is in love with Sloan.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Also the two black characters speaking after one another thing happened again this week and made me laugh.
Was it Mockney who said this?

Since I saw the post I cannot stop noticing it. Except I think he said the woman always follows the man. I dont think there is an order.

crappycraperson

Scout
I enjoyed it. It's not the West Wing but I'd rate it as least as good as Studio 60 (which deserved a 2nd season).
I have no idea why Studio 60 gets rated by some, I thought it started well and turned into crap. It was not quite the wreck this one is but suffered from some similar problems

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Studio 60 was much better IMO. But I'm going mainly off memory here. It's opening few episodes were certainly much stronger. It did have similar relationship problems (especially in Bradley Whitford & Amanda Peet's romance) but it suited them better, as unlike the WW and this, there wasn't a consistent string of outside events impacting storylines. So it was slightly less of an intrusion.

I also thought the Matthew Perry drug addicted jewish atheist Sorkin proxy and his bible belt all american Christian Kristin Chenoweth proxy worked quite well. Their arguments were actually quite interesting. Probably because it was apparently just recycling their actual relationship into better prose. None of these people are even an iota as interesting on their own as those two, let along together.

Alek M

Da manic one
Finally saw one episode, the final one. Not impressed. That bus tour scene was a joke. Perhaps if I start watching it from the beginning the plot would grab my attention more. But probably will not give it another shot.

Suits is a great entertaining show.

Political Animals has become a show I look forward to. Really good, with Sigourney Weaver playing the Secretary of State.

Studio 60 deserved at least a full season. Sorkin should have taken that to HBO. I used to turn the caption on for that show to catch all the dialogue, which was immense.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Suits isn't that great, tries to be witty but isn't really that witty, it's shallow and I hate everything the show stands for.

Still, I'd rather watch it ahead of most of the crap that's on air at the moment.

Cina

Yeah, this will probably happen.

Also the two black characters speaking after one another thing happened again this week and made me laugh.
:lol: feck sake, hadn't noticed that before.

A very disappointing show, but still watchable, I guess.

I mean the bus bit was just ridiculous.

Maajid

Formerly Mad
Why have they been putting in more and more relationship stuff in it? What's the purpose? Can't be ratings, can it? I've just looked at rough figures but they've been around the 2M mark for the whole 10 episodes.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
This shit is just vomit-inducing. So many things annoy me. That girl with the weird face that everyone seems to fancy, doing that long speech to the Sex in the City tour has to be the most contrived piece of shite in an entire series filled with contrived situations. This show has had no new ideas, just dragging cliche after cliche through a hedge backwards and being holier-than-thou at every opportunity.

I disagree with people who say The West Wing took time to get good. I watched it from the start and it started great and got better. This shit isn't getting a second series viewing from me.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Apparently you can see Ellen Page-allergic-reaction-girl's norks on the internet. If anyone is interested.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
I bet one of her tits looks really downbeat and saggy and the other is really pert and perky and up for some fun.