Aaron Connolly

To be fair, that first dive was a really good one as there was body contact with Pogba. I was surprised they walked back on it but it was a dive. The second one was pretty pathetic and obvious though.

He's kind of set up for the nickname 'The Con Man'

Loads of players dive, Timo Werner is brilliant at it.
Players have been diving for decades and not just cheating 'Johnny Foreigner' types.
I can recall Roy Keane being booked and sent off against Blackburn at Ewood. One of his yellows was for diving that day. We won 4~2 by the way!
I've seen Scholes, Giggs, Ronaldo, Becks, Rooney dive in their time.

Players have been diving for decades and not just cheating 'Johnny Foreigner' types.
I can recall Roy Keane being booked and sent off against Blackburn at Ewood. One of his yellows was for diving that day. We won 4~2 by the way!

I don't disagree. Francis Lee scored 15 penalties in 1972, which is a record. He was a notorious diver.

Pogba clattered into the back of him, knocking him over in other words.
:lol: you wish he did.

Being the "brown bull" you think you'd know a thing or too about clattering into something, and that certainly wasn't what pogba did. They were running together at the same speed and Connolly stopped on purpose instead of trying to score.

The cheater was rightly caught out :smirk:

:lol: you wish he did.

Being the "brown bull" you think you'd know a thing or too about clattering into something, and that certainly wasn't what pogba did. They were running together at the same speed and Connolly stopped on purpose instead of trying to score.

The cheater was rightly caught out :smirk:
And he flung his right leg back to initiate contact.

From what i've seen he has the potential to be the next Shane Long, that's about it. A nuisance off the ball, will win penalties through gamesmanship, but generally pretty limited technical ability. With the right work he might make an asset to lower half teams in his career, that's about the limits of his potential I reckon.

Fantastic comparison. He reminds me a bit of a much lower standard younger Rooney as well with his tenacity.

Fantastic comparison. He reminds me a bit of a much lower standard younger Rooney as well with his tenacity.

More like Paul Dickov than Wayne Rooney. He’s rubbish.

we didn't we won 2-1, Keane wasn't sent off in the 4-2 win

A bit of a bump, but worth it. I always wondered why Connolly faded so fast after such a promising breakthrough at Brighton.

He’s just done an interview with The Athletic talking about alcoholism. He spent some time in rehab and is now clean trying to rebuild his life and career at Sunderland. It’s a really brave interview.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/58...on-hull-interview/?source=user_shared_article

Good on Sunderland for giving him the chance, he talks about how he was open with the club and how they supported him.

A couple of quotes from the article.

Sunderland got the full story of Connolly’s summer before a 12-month deal was agreed with the free agent.

“When we sat down in the meeting, I said, ‘Open and honest’ because that’s what I wanted to be,” Connolly says. “I told them what I’d been doing in the summer, that I’d been to rehab. They were brilliant with me. I’m going to be grateful to them for a long time and hopefully, I can repay that.

“I wouldn’t know when to stop so I know I can’t drink alcohol again,” he says. “I go to AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) meetings now. I have to. That’s what I need to do. It might be three, four times a week, might even be one every day, it depends how you’re feeling.

“But the meetings are going to keep me sober. The day I stop doing them, that’s the day I’m not sober. I know that. I know I need to be there.”

What knickers? Im arguing against downplaying being excellent at forward pressure as running about a bit.
Hes 20. He can improve. He has got the tools to be a very good player. Not many 20 year olds leading the line in EPL sides
Lo and behold he never improved and was never as good as Shane Long.

He was great in a 3-0 win over Spurs about five years back, reminded me of Vardy how he played that day.

Then he faded from first team picture at Brighton and went on endless loans so this article explains why that happened.

Given the years of inactivity Sunderland is actually a great move as they're on the up again with many exciting young players and I can see them being back in the prem within next two years so hopefully he can be part of that.