2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

So, when you posted this was it through the lens of:

A) Holy shit the Biden Harris administration doesn't care about kids.
B) Holy shit the economy is tanking, even for kids.
C) Holy shit, the reason this is happening is that the GOP refused to make the expanded child tax credit permanent and it expired and Trump should have been nailed for that.

If C is the answer harris should've brought it up.

I guess he’s just a hard read lads. Against Biden I thought he coasted as he was up against a barely cogent pensioner.

He seemed to quote global politics and leaders with far higher accuracy than I have seen before.

Maybe I don’t watch enough of him tbf.
The smart way to be

If C is the answer harris should've brought it up.
Was Harris asked “why did child poverty rise during you administration?” If so, I missed it and you are right, she should have led with that in her answer.

And besides, my question was to ask what the point of that post was. Was it a commentary on the depravity of the GOP when it comes to children once they leave a woman’s body or was it an uninformed shot at Harris for “allowing” child poverty to rise.

I mean, he thinks that the answer to rising sea-levels is for people to simply sell their homes and move elsewhere. So he is hardly evidence of high-level logic.
I mean, the irony of someone making a living off telling people how to vote deriding people for following a celebrity endorsement is pretty self evident.

USA is one of the most fecked up and brainwashed countries in the world.

This is pure pantomime. They are probably all in it together to make it look like a democracy.

Why is there only two parties? It’s like ordering a drink and being offered Pepsi or Coca Cola - slight difference but deep down it’s basically the same shit.

Excellent journalism. We would be so mutch better off if the major US cable networks were this persistent.

Every electoral system has flaws, but the electoral college is the one which probably has the best trade off for the country as a whole.
In the 19th century.

Mollifying rich Southern slave owners to keep the Union intact isn’t on the agenda anymore. Time for a little update at least, if we stick with ‘wisdom of the founders’ then only white males can vote, state legislatures appoint Senators and Presidential candidates are decided by smoke filled room wheeling dealing instead of popular election.

Every electoral system has flaws, but the electoral college is the one which probably has the best trade off for the country as a whole.
How so? It results in citizens in different states have different vote share than each other, it creates swing states that means that candidates need to tailor their policies to a small subset of voters in a small subset of states, and it has resulted all to often in the president elect being the candidate who lost the popular vote.

Can Harris win without Pennsylvania? Seems like that’s a crucial state for her.

How so? It results in citizens in different states have different vote share than each other, it creates swing states that means that candidates need to tailor their policies to a small subset of voters in a small subset of states, and it has resulted all to often in the president elect being the candidate who lost the popular vote.
Because if it was decided solely by the popular vote, then the break up of the union itself becomes much more likely…and I’m assuming that’s something the majority of Americans don’t want to happen.

Can Harris win without Pennsylvania? Seems like that’s a crucial state for her.

Not impossible, but her chances of winning according to most models fall into the single digits if she loses PA, since weakness in one rust belt state will likely not be confined to one rust belt state. Therefore she has to focus on the most plausible path to victory first by winning PA. States like GA and NC would be aspirational insurance policies in case something goes wrong in the north.

Because if it was decided solely by the popular vote, then the break up of the union itself becomes much more likely…and I’m assuming that’s something the majority of Americans don’t want to happen.
No it would not. Every other office in the country is decided by a popular vote and you don't see states breaking up when the vote is close. Instead what you see is candidates who are forced to craft platforms that are widely popular. And besides, if changing the election of the president to a popular vote is all that it takes to break up the Union, well then it was going to break up anyways.

All that being said, the reason for the EC was so that slave owning states could get to count their slaves as property but also get them included (well, 3/5's of them) in their vote share. The persistence of the EC is a stain.

In the 19th century.

Mollifying rich Southern slave owners to keep the Union intact isn’t on the agenda anymore. Time for a little update at least, if we stick with ‘wisdom of the founders’ then only white males can vote, state legislatures appoint Senators and Presidential candidates are decided by smoke filled room wheeling dealing instead of popular election.
At least winning the presidency closely aligns with winning the popular vote. Prior to the 2016 election, there were only four times in US history when a candidate won the presidency despite losing the popular vote.

By way of comparison…in Britain only one government (outside of the National government around WW2) has achieved a majority of the vote since universal suffrage in 1928.

Also structurally it theoretically incentives investment and effort in "lesser" states so they don't get left behind. In the UK for example London gets all the investment because London has always had all the investment. It becomes self fulfilling unless you deliberately bias interest towards the more peripheral areas.

I'm not saying the electoral college is the right system, but letting people in (more populous) cities decide what should happen in rural areas has never seemed all that logical to me. Weighting by both population and geographical location is ostensibly a decent compromise if done well.

No it would not. Every other office in the country is decided by a popular vote and you don't see states breaking up when the vote is close. Instead what you see is candidates who are forced to craft platforms that are widely popular. And besides, if changing the election of the president to a popular vote is all that it takes to break up the Union, well then it was going to break up anyways.

All that being said, the reason for the EC was so that slave owning states could get to count their slaves as property but also get them included (well, 3/5's of them) in their vote share. The persistence of the EC is a stain.
The Presidency is effectively and symbolically different to every other office in the country though. Significantly different!

That aside however, what’s the public appetite on the issue? Ultimately it could be tested by referendum.

Also structurally it theoretically incentives investment and effort in "lesser" states so they don't get left behind. In the UK for example London gets all the investment because London has always had all the investment. It becomes self fulfilling unless you deliberately bias interest towards the more peripheral areas.

I'm not saying the electoral college is the right system, but letting people in (more populous) cities decide what should happen in rural areas has never seemed all that logical to me. Weighting by both population and geographical location is ostensibly a decent compromise if done well.
Agreed. I think it’s the compromise or trade off that fits that particular country, given both its unique size and diversity of population.

The Presidency is effectively and symbolically different to every other office in the country though. Significantly different!

That aside however, what’s the public appetite on the issue? Ultimately it could be tested by referendum.
Unfortunately we do not have national referendums here, so that is not going to happen. According to Pew, 65% of Americans favor the move to a popular vote. Unfortunately, this would require a Constitutional amendment which is highly unlikely.

Another route is the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact which is where states pass legislation stating that, should the Compact ever achieve enough electoral votes to be in the majority (currently 270) then the Compact would trigger and all the EV's from the states in the Compact would go to the winner of the national popular vote, regardless of who one each State. The Compact has 209 committed votes and 50 pending. Now, would the Compact survive legal challenge? It should, but with the current SCOTUS there is no way it would (unless a Rep won of course).

But that is not how it works, not even close. None of those "lesser" states are swing states and so receive no extra investment whatsoever.

Edit: Actually, I would argue it is worse for the country and the planet the way things work. You think the Dems would be supporting fracking if Pennsylvania wasn't a pivotal swing state?

At least winning the presidency closely aligns with winning the popular vote. Prior to the 2016 election, there were only four times in US history when a candidate won the presidency despite losing the popular vote.
1 time is 1 time too many, let alone 5, it went directly against the principle of ‘one person, one vote’, which the Supreme Court supported, btw, when they ordered districts to be roughly similar in population in reapportionment.

By way of comparison…in Britain only one government (outside of the National government around WW2) has achieved a majority of the vote since universal suffrage in 1928.

They won by a plurality, the party with the most votes won, pretty reasonable.

But that is not how it works, not even close. None of those "lesser" states are swing states and so receive no extra investment whatsoever.

Edit: Actually, I would argue it is worse for the country and the planet the way things work. You think the Dems would be supporting fracking if Pennsylvania wasn't a pivotal swing state?
And the extra investment they do receive doesn’t help, red states that are a net drain on fiscal contribution consistently rank in the bottom tier for education, wage, life expectancy etc. The residents of Louisiana or Mississippi really got a good deal from the EC when no candidate for president will visit their state and push for policies that will benefit them.

How about the number of electoral votes per state is standardised against census population data and all of each states votes is assigned to each candidate as it is now (stop it Maine and Nebraska) fisrts past the post style. You then double the number of electoral votes and assign these votes proportionally to the popular vote. If you want to slightly increase the power of each states result you could assign these new proportionally representative votes within states so that (say) California's popular vote wasn't too dominant.

1 time is 1 time too many, let alone 5, it went directly against the principle of ‘one person, one vote’, which the Supreme Court supported, btw, when they ordered districts to be roughly similar in population in reapportionment.
I’ve no dog in the fight here but it seems obvious to me that changing the electoral system increases (significantly) the chances that the United States in its current form would no longer exist at some point. The choice therefore involves a decision on whether that’s an acceptable trade off.

They won by a plurality, the party with the most votes won, pretty reasonable.
The current British government won 33.7% of the vote. Is that more reasonable?

I think InfiniteBoredom has it right, Kelly was never respected by anyone. She was one of an assembly line of semi-attractive mannequins who were instructed to wear short skirts and to smile more (among other, more sinister things).
Let’s be fair, Megyn Kelly was by no means “semi-attractive”.

Easy solution. Turn the UK system to a Presidential one and allow only 2 choices.

That may have been the case a long time ago when the US was more politically homogeneous, but the new trend is that the opposition (usually Republicans) can win the electoral college by winning more swing states, while losing the popular vote because states like California account for an increasing disparity in total national votes. Therefore, the new norm based on demographic shifts is that popular votes are always going to Dems, but Republicans can still win elections by winning more swing states.

Take the example of the Inflation Reduction Act. A huge number of the projects that it benefits are in red states and swing states. If the red states were irrelevant because they had 4 hicks and a dog in them thus no voting power, then I'm not sure they would have been in a position to reap those kinds of rewards. Now you might think those red states don't deserve the investments perhaps, but deserve doesn't really come into Keynesian economics.

I'm not saying it's a good system but I'm not sure just doing it on popular vote would magically fix everything. In terms of bang for your buck you'd be much better off switching to a proportional voting system in Congress or something rather than scrapping the Electoral College I would have thought, but personally I would still encourage some power on the national stage being afforded to "space" even if most of it is afforded to voters themselves, the idea being that "space" has the potential to become voters and the economy if you give it the right conditions to.

I’ve no dog in the fight here but it seems obvious to me that changing the electoral system increases (significantly) the chances that the United States in its current form would no longer exist at some point. The choice therefore involves a decision on whether that’s an acceptable trade off.
No, changing it wouldn’t cause the US to cease to exist, because the root cause behind it has already been decided, on the battlefield, and by a subsequent Supreme Court decision. Secession is treason, and there’s no appetite, nor the 19th century citizen militia system that fueled the seditious states to test that question again.

The current British government won 33.7% of the vote. Is that more reasonable?

Yes, they won the most votes.