Xavi Simons

Loan with option would be nice.

Interesting quote from ETH, which is very unlike him and United as we don’t tend to openly talk about an individual outside of OT, unless we play against this club in the upcoming fixture.
Where did he make that comment? Cause Ten Hag was commenting on matches on Dutch tv during the EC . He'd obviously be expected to comment on non-United players in that context.

Where did he make that comment? Cause Ten Hag was commenting on matches on Dutch tv during the EC . He'd obviously be expected to comment on non-United players in that context.

Not sure. This was reported by Simon Mullock at the Mirror.

Because he isn’t picking his targets solely. They are players that they like and are interested in.

And no one finds it weird that most of them are Dutch or have played in Eredivisie?

And no one finds it weird that most of them are Dutch or have played in Eredivisie?

He is either picking Durch players and the rest are ok with it, or they give him a list/pool of players we like and he picks the Dutch ones from that. A manager at United will always have a big say in transfers. The structure is not fully in place anyway. But even if it was, the manager will have a lot to say. Us currently going full Dutch/Eredivisie is a testament to this, as our coaching staff is the same as well.

100% makes sense after missing out on Olise. Would be a really smart move by ETH
At a cost of €100mil (£80mil) as Phillpe Auclair (french football correspondent for guardian amongst other outlets) explained yesterday.

Way too expensive.

I know he had/has weird contracts with PSG so maybe there's a zany loophole but he's absolutely a 80-100m player.
So far that doesn't seem the type of target pursued this summer.

I believe we did sign him after his good performance at Euro 96. I recalled Liverpool were in for him as well.

I know that’s why I said this about Xavi, the people that want him are not going based off the Euros but his last two seasons, very different from Poborsky.

Actually don't think he would do good here. So no thanks. And no place for a signing like that now. IF we sell Bruno (and we won't this summer) I'd rather have Dani Olmo.

I'd take him in a heartbeat. World class potential. But I can't see this happening.

Doesnt make any sense, wouldn't play him as a winger in an United system. Might work at Arsenal/City. With Bruno and Mount, there is no point really.

Get him, sell Antony for 20m
Get him for 80m, sell Antony for 20m.
2 years later:
Get him (some other Dutch random player), sell Simmons for 20m.

Just no.
With some players, its hard to tell, but a good way to decipher a potential “United player” from a “non United player”, is whether or not would SAF would’ve signed them.
Can you see SAF signing Xavi Simmons? I can’t.

Not to mention its a position we are stacked in, with Bruno who never gets injured.
Simmons isn’t suited to play in a double pivot in the PL, he’s not better than Garnacho on the right, he’s not better than Rashford on the left, just pointless.

Last edited:
If it's a loan deal then there's not much to lose.

Oh I hadn't considered that despite him being on loans for 2 years straight.
United wouldst feel like a logical step up in exposure after PSV, Leipzig and before PSG (or being poached by Real). Maybe he wants CL though ? And as mentioned not sure he fits well in the squad.
Also that obligation would be hefty.

I would say he's a versatile attacker than simply a 10. That's pigeonholing him a bit.
Versatile attacked who is mainly a 10. If we play a 433 or a 4231, he's quite simply not a top level wide player and that's what we need. Mount is a good versatile attacker/midfielder, but really he's a 10.

We're trying to build a team to be one of the top 5 in Europe, not just a top 4 competitor. To do that, you don't get guys like Mount or Xavi Simons and play them outside of their best position. You also don't get guys like them if you already have better players in their position. We have better wide players then those 2, and we have a better #10. It'd make no sense and would be an equally dumb purchase to Mount.

Versatile attacked who is mainly a 10. If we play a 433 or a 4231, he's quite simply not a top level wide player and that's what we need. Mount is a good versatile attacker/midfielder, but really he's a 10.

We're trying to build a team to be one of the top 5 in Europe, not just a top 4 competitor. To do that, you don't get guys like Mount or Xavi Simons and play them outside of their best position. You also don't get guys like them if you already have better players in their position. We have better wide players then those 2, and we have a better #10. It'd make no sense and would be an equally dumb purchase to Mount.

3241 solves that problem so you play Xavi and Bruno next to each other

He's not like Mount, he's far more dynamic and attacked from wider spaces as well as central.

I think this comes down on how you expect us to set up. Id give this a read if you're interested -
https://www.reddit.com/r/BayernMunich/s/rArHTrdVoy

I don't see us setting up too dissimilarly and can easily see where he'd fit in. It would require better full back options, but I think that is what we're trying to do. I don't think we have problems with players that can stretch the pitch and pace in behind, he would help us in areas if we were to become more.dominant in possession higher up the pitch.

He is either picking Durch players and the rest are ok with it, or they give him a list/pool of players we like and he picks the Dutch ones from that. A manager at United will always have a big say in transfers. The structure is not fully in place anyway. But even if it was, the manager will have a lot to say. Us currently going full Dutch/Eredivisie is a testament to this, as our coaching staff is the same as well.

Yeah, I think one of those is true. Which means nothing has changed structure wise at the club if the best choice from those players is Xavi Simons/if the manager is allowed to pick someone like him to improve us. Which doesn't go with what many here kept convincing us that we are going in the right direction.

Last edited:
We shluld be targeting Doué instead. For half the price. I’m still optimistic we will get involved in that. There’s no way such a talent can be knocking around on INEOS’ doorstep for cheap and we don’t get involved.

Possibly we want to conclude our business with Bayern before competing with them, or more likely we want to get Sancho/Greenwood out first.

Too good to be true, Im unzipped already. If the clause loan with buy obligation anything below 50M it's a no brainier

All those saying he'd be Bruno's bench clearly haven't watched him as he plays mostly on the left.

Too good to be true, Im unzipped already. If the clause loan with buy obligation anything below 50M it's a no brainier

All those saying he'd be Bruno's bench clearly haven't watched him as he plays mostly on the left.
:lol:

PSG want €100million. How are we going to get a obligation to buy for under £50million?

Yeah, I think one of those is true. Which means nothing has changed structure wise at the club if the best choice from those players is Xavi Simmons/if the manager is allowed to pick someone like him to improve us. Which doesn't go with what many here kept convincing us that we are going in the right direction.
Or these Simons rumours aren't real, just as most links to Dutch and Eredivisie players the past few windows have had no substance.

See, you don't always have to follow negative reasoning.

He gets goals and assists so I'd be all for adding him. He comes centrally from out wide when picked there, similar to how Mata was for us

He gets goals and assists so I'd be all for adding him. He comes centrally from out wide when picked there, similar to how Mata was for us

He has a missing ingredient I think that will stop him from being a truly elite player. He’s the sort of player who I suspect will have players with less ability become better players than him. Can’t put my finger on it, but it’s my initial assessment of him. Not that aggressively elite mentality like Bellingham, who, in my opinion, has conned his way to his current status and isn’t as talented as Simons. Heart of a lion though and brilliantly managed career by his parents.

:lol:

PSG want €100million. How are we going to get a obligation to buy for under £50million?
Don't you think they would have give him a chance in their team if they valued him at 100 million? for some reason PSG doesn't rate him, he had an extraordinary season on 2022/23 in the eredivise and a good season on the bundesliga last year yet they're looking to loan/sell him again? Per reports PSG are looking to buy Kvaratskhelia and Osimhen, so it looks like they are not counting on Simons. Maybe I wen't too low with 50M but it will definitely won't be as high as 100M, those figures are not for players with loan options/obligations.

He has a missing ingredient I think that will stop him from being a truly elite player. He’s the sort of player who I suspect will have players with less ability become better players than him. Can’t put my finger on it, but it’s my initial assessment of him. Not that aggressively elite mentality like Bellingham, who, in my opinion, has conned his way to his current status and isn’t as talented as Simons. Heart of a lion though and brilliantly managed career by his parents.

Sorry but if even you, who have decided he isnt going to be a fantastic player before having a good opinion on why cant put your finger on it its because you want it to be true not because it is.

Bellingham wouldnt be where he is now if he hadnt gone to Madrid. If Xavi Simons went to Madrid he'd do better than Leipzig

This is what Xavi Simons is right now at 21 years old

ff85db1916888adb6325e18f0205613a.png

Like Olmo next to him, he's that attacking midfielder who can dribble, play a teammate in for chances and score goals. He's not a deeper metronome passer, or a flying winger down the sides. He's the guy who receives a pass in a good position and then does something good with it, take a player on, pass or shot. He's similar to Bruno but better at dribbling and has played a lot more games in that half role where hes picked to support the strikers but is coming centrally rather than being a genuine wideplayer.

Don't you think they would have give him a chance in their team if they valued him at 100 million? for some reason PSG doesn't rate him, he had an extraordinary season on 2022/23 in the eredivise and a good season on the bundesliga last year yet they're looking to loan/sell him again? Per reports PSG are looking to buy Kvaratskhelia and Osimhen, so it looks like they are not counting on Simons. Maybe I wen't too low with 50M but it will definitely won't be as high as 100M, those figures are not for players with loan options/obligations.

I think he's the one not being interested in being at PSG at the moment, afaik he asked for the PSV and Leipzig loans. He had a strange deal at PSV but he willingly went back to PSG. I think he (or his entourage) is hyper focused on building him up. I think they judge, somewhat rightly, that he'd be lost in the shuffle and that PSG was/is too much of a circus that could possibly stunt him at his level of experience.

Paris had a 17 yo man their central midfield and Barcola had time, I don't think it's an issue of the club being shy with young stars. But he's already interested in being an every game starter. PSG were too loaded upfront already.

Last edited: