Would you rather have won the FA Cup last year and not this year?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
So would you rather we had won the FA Cup 2023 and lost the 2024 one? (Not that I do but it was an interesting thought experiment).

Pros of winning in 2023:
- Stop City's treble
- Finish the season with both domestic cups and 3rd place
- Could contest the Community Shield 2024

Pros of winning in 2024:
- Stop City's double
- Finish the season on a relative high in one of our shittest seasons in recent memory
- End up playing Europa league in 24/25
- Relegate Chelsea into Conference League
- Relegate Newcastle into no European footy
- Gave that incredible 4-3 quarter-final win over Liverpool the meaning it deserved, and catapulted it into certified historic status (CC @Martial)

To be honest, the only real reason for wanting to win it last year would be to stop City's treble.

Last edited:
The only real reason is a pretty big reason though, would be very tempted to take it.

Don't think I would though, winning it this time was so special.

Wouldn't change it. Nobody cared about City's treble and they would have always eventually done it.

No. Everything in life happens with a reason.

And we have so many insecure fans, liverpool this, city that. Ffs just enjoy it for few days.

No. What sort of question is that? I’d rather we’d won it both years obvs.

Think I would but it's very close/doesn't really matter.

I don't see stopping City's treble as the only benefit, I didn't even think of it when reading the thread title. Finishing 3rd and winning both domestic cups would have been a higher high than what we got. Of course that means this season would have felt worse but for adrenaline seekers I think it's a slightly more favourable proposition.

In general I'd take 2 trophies in 1 season then nothing the next over 1 in each. It's simply more fun to me.

Last edited:
Adding to pros of winning in 2024, it gave that incredible 4-3 quarter-final win over Liverpool the meaning it deserved, and catapulted it into certified historic status.

Adding to pros of winning in 2024, it gave that incredible 4-3 quarter-final win over Liverpool the meaning it deserved, and catapulted it into certified historic status.
Great point - added to OP!

Winning FA Cup this year was extremely important because it raised spirits after a shit league season and also it was our only chance for Europa League. Playing in Europa League may not sound as exciting as Champions League but it brings a lot of money and European football is very important for us. Not being in Europe at all would have been horrible

Last year for sure, that way UTD would still be the only English club to win THE treble.

Us winning then Fa cup this season has been talked about more than City’s treble win last season :lol:

I think that's the beauty though. It happens when it happens.

Anytime we win an FA Cup it's great. I grew up at a time where the FA Cup was rightly heralded as a huge success.

Some people go decades or lifetimes without seeing their side in a Cup final. So however and whenever.

Treasured moments :)

It's a tough choice. United "defending" their treble is a great narrative to get behind. But I'll remember those Amad and Mainoo goals forever. So I'll choose this year as I'd rather celebrate what we achieved instead of what we hypothetically stopped City from achieving*.

Wouldn't change it. Nobody cared about City's treble and they would have always eventually done it.

Yeah, doesn't matter now. Nobody gives a shit what they win.

PL trophy parade on Sunday and all the coverage was about Utd winning the FA Cup and whether ETH was getting sacked or not.

Utd being shit is more interesting than them winning trophies.

Comparing anything we've won to the Abu Dhabi cheats is basically an insult and should never happen.

Otherwise give me a trophy a season than both at once.

City “winning” the treble essentially doesn’t even count. Just like every trophy they’ve “won” it’s irrelevant.

Doesn't bother me personally. They are such an irrelevant club built on sand it makes me laugh to read their supporters being so bitter and small time.

Let them crack on.

Winning FA Cup this year was extremely important because it raised spirits after a shit league season and also it was our only chance for Europa League. Playing in Europa League may not sound as exciting as Champions League but it brings a lot of money and European football is very important for us. Not being in Europe at all would have been horrible
Yeah losing the final after finishing 8th and the start of next season (and the whole summer) would have been filled with toxicity. It's already bad enough as it is, but it would have been as bad or worse than 2 summers ago starting next season.

I’d prefer last year for the domestic double and 3rd place finish, which would constitute our best post SAF season.

We desperately needed something this year. Stopping City's treble is indeed tempting but without the FA Cup, this year would have been our worst in the post Fergie era and that's saying something considering some of the seasons we've had.

Contesting the Community Shield, specifically in 2023 rather than 2024, would have been better in what way?

We desperately needed something this year. Stopping City's treble is indeed tempting but without the FA Cup, this year would have been our worst in the post Fergie era and that's saying something considering some of the seasons we've had.
This. After the shitty PL and CL campaign, the team needed to finish on a high.

Absolutely, it felt good because it was a good end to a terrible season. Winning the cup last year would have been good as it would have prevented City from matching our biggest achievement but winning the cup this season was needed as it made that Liverpool game matter and was a rare moment of brightness. The cup win has singled handedly lifted this season above 2013-14, 2018-19, and 2021-22 for me.

If we won the FA Cup last year, I reckon we’d have signed a new deal with De Gea and not gotten Onana. Make what you will of it.

Winning it this year was satisfying because it derailed Klopp's farewell tour and kind of ruined their season, and also because of beating Abu Dhabi FC in the final when everyone expected us to get pasted.

Stopping their *treble would have been nice last season, but nobody cares about what City do anyway, so I'd have to go with winning it this season.

Much better to win it this year.

The cup run and winning the final provided enjoyment and a highlight to an otherwise grim season.

It was a great story having two of the young players that have shown up their senior counterparts over the course of the season scoring in the final and winning something so early in their careers.

What other clubs win or don't win is totally irrelevant. I only care about what Manchester Utd do.