Work Permits

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
WORK PERMITS

What are the regulations or procedures that teams in the EPL must abide by in order to buy a player from outside Europe? What are the possible clauses you may get one through? Also, if you are below 16, do you need a work permit?​
As I outlined in another thread, my understanding was that it only applied to any country not in Europe, they had to be over 16 and had to have 1 of the following:​
A) Played 75% of int games (that they were eligible for) - Competitive only.​
B) Lived in Europe for X years...​
C) Exceptional Talent​
Can anyone shed any light here in regards to what the current clauses are?​

Joemo

whistling in the wind
I'm pretty sure British clubs can't buy anybody under the age of 18 from outside of Europe. Hence why we only had the Da Silva twins training with us, and now that Bruno Gomes has turned 18 it would have been possible to sign him.

There's the "exceptional talent" label, which is linked with number of international appearances at youth level I think. Again, another reason why we might have had difficulty signing Bruno Gomes as he gets overlooked for the national team as he played for Desportivo, who are disliked by the Brazilian FA.

Skywarden

Breifly put:

A football association will endorse a certificate of sponsorship for a player if he has played 75 per cent of competitive games for a FIFA ranked top 70 nation over the past two years. Failure to meet this requirement will see an application rejected, unless it can be proven a player was unavailable for selection due to injury.
A club may then appeal if the first application is rejected. An appeals panel will then convene to establish whether, in their view, the player's transfer would be of benefit to the game in the relevant country. If they are in favour, the football association will then endorse the certificate, which then contributes the biggest part to the Home Office's criteria.
http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/rangers/193378-explained-uk-work-permit-rules-for-footballers/

Going a bit more in depth by a very reputable and knowledgeable source:
http://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2012/10/work-permits-for-footballers/

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This is bullshit, it's discriminative imo.

I don't think other EU nations have this sort of things? CMIIW

Although it has to be regulated, but at the current rate it really handicapped clubs when they attempted to sign non EU players with potential. When they're eligible for work permit they'll probably be playing in proper teams with inflated price.

Skywarden

It's not discrimination at all. It's simply a regulatory extension of existing immigration laws. Imagine if this regulation was not there; clubs could buy foreign players dirt cheap and ship them off when they don't deliver. This regulation provides foreign players with protection yet there's an adherence to existing national immigration laws.

This is common practice in almost every EEA country unless something has changed recently.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Are the rules for work permits the same for each league in Europe? E.g. If you are an Italian team purchasing a [Brazillian*]player, are the rules different to if you are an English or Spanish team purchasing a [Brazillian*] player

*Any country outside Eu

Skywarden

Are the rules for work permits the same for each league in Europe? E.g. If you are an Italian team purchasing a [Brazillian*]player, are the rules different to if you are an English or Spanish team purchasing a [Brazillian*] player

*Any country outside Eu

There are some variations between the countries and their regulations but in general they follow the same set of rules; e.g. X amount of played games, Y appearances in Z minimum divisions/competitions. The Swedish immigration law stipulates, for example, that you must have a signed contract with the Swedish club/organisation you seek to represent. Additionally, the contract must earn you at least 14300 SEK per month before tax (~1331GBP).

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
There are some variations between the countries and their regulations but in general they follow the same set of rules; e.g. X amount of played games, Y appearances in Z minimum divisions/competitions. The Swedish immigration law stipulates, for example, that you must have a signed contract with the Swedish club/organisation you seek to represent. Additionally, the contract must earn you at least 14300 SEK per month before tax (~1331GBP).
That's interesting, how do you know so much out of interest? On that basis then, it's slightly harder for Sweeds to attain younger players then... Was it also true that one nation (I think it was the Spanish) a few years ago were able to sign or 'own' 15 year old's outside EU, but couldn't play or live in Spain until they turned of age, hence why you see a lot of Spanish and Italian co-owning players...

Skywarden

That's interesting, how do you know so much out of interest? On that basis then, it's slightly harder for Sweeds to attain younger players then... Was it also true that one nation (I think it was the Spanish) a few years ago were able to sign or 'own' 15 year old's outside EU, but couldn't play or live in Spain until they turned of age, hence why you see a lot of Spanish and Italian co-owning players...

(Sports) law is a big interest of mine - (sports) law and regulations are more often than not easily accessible on the net. Only a few times have I been forced to mail various sources with questions and those interactions I find more interesting, naturally. :)

It is slightly harder to attain younger players here, yes. It's a costly process for majority of clubs which makes it a risky gamble, especially with the relatively low budgets run with. Makes more sense nurturing your from within and hope to find a golden boy (Ibra, Blomqvist, Henrik Larsson, Anders Svensson etc.).

I can't recall the particular case you speak of. But it most likely revolve around third-party ownership within Spain, Portugal or Italy - something that is prohibited within the English FA's jurisdiction.