Willy Kambwala | Villarreal

Looked pretty good for us in the few games he played but I guess he wants guaranteed playing time.

Better idea this type of transfer than a loan deal as players we usually send on loan usually spend more time on the bench than playing.

Good move for him. Hope he does well

Shame to see him leave so soon after his breakthrough season with us. But with him not intending to sign a new contract, and with us trying for a few new CB additions, then it seems the right move for all.

It's a low initial figure, similar to Fernandez, but more understandable given he's only one year left on his deal. And good to see we have a big sell on clause and a buy back option. Would love to see him kick on, obviously, for us to benefit either way.

Best of luck to him. I think there's a good player in the making there ans a move like this could be great for him personally. Wouldn't be surprised to see him at a big club again in a few years, ideally us.

Good move for him. He had games where he looked the part and games where he looked out of his depth.

Sensible sell too. I can only think if Woodward was still here he’d have been given a 5 year contract and £80k a week based on the small handful of games he looked the part this season.

Good luck to him, and if he excels in Spain, we might get him back with the buyback clause.

"4 years?" For some reason I thought he was a local who joined as a young kid.

The internet just told me you bought him for £3.5 mil when he was 16. Nice bit of profit if you've just sold him for £10 mil with addons.

Looking forward to seeing how he develops and he’s at a good club to take the next step. Disappointed in that he does have traits that could have made him an asset to us but better all round as others have said.

A sign of the times in that most of the sales that we have made seem to be structured better financially for us since the takeover too.

Any highly rated academy player leaving doesn’t feel good. Hope he develops well and in a few year time, we might even go back for him

Looking forward to seeing how he develops and he’s at a good club to take the next step. Disappointed in that he does have traits that could have made him an asset to us but better all round as others have said.

A sign of the times in that most of the sales that we have made seem to be structured better financially for us since the takeover too.
They've been structured well enough given the individual situations so far, yeah - VDB and Kambwala in their last year of their contract, Fernandez already agreed upon. I like the big bonuses for all three (and buy back options for the younger two). Though the initial pretty low fees for them means we're gambling on them kicking on and being a success in order to get to the 'good parts' of the deal for us. Otherwise, some deals will just end up us giving away players for cheap who subsequently didn't kick on and gained us little extra.

That's always the gamble to securing a good initial fee in the first place. And, with other players who aren't in the last year of their contract, I'll be equally happy to see us getting a good initial fee and less about add ons and sell on - as much can go wrong with those (injuries, not kicking on enough, or kicking on but running down their contract to move on a free at the end of it, etc). However I very much like the buy back option for all the younger players.

The internet just told me you bought him for £3.5 mil when he was 16. Nice bit of profit if you've just sold him for £10 mil with addons.

It’s £4.7m plus add ons to bring it up to about £10m I think. The suggestion seems to be that we also have to pay his previous club 50% of the profit, so we’d only get circa £500,000 profit ourselves currently.

I will watch a few Villarreal games next season for him. I hope Kambwala develops into a quality La Liga centre back. Maybe when he's 23-24 we can also consider signing him again.

Good player, wasn't going to get many chances to play, at his age he needs games to develop. Hope he does well.

Seems smart business all around. Hope he gets loads of games and comes back in a few years :)

Best of luck to him, I always enjoy seeing academy graduates go off to play in top leagues, the amount we've had the last few years shows how the quality of our academy has really come along.

10M with add on is not bad. I believe there is a sell on clause as well. Good business overall since we are targeting 2 or 3 CBs in this window.

Was almost similar to Pogba, we signed him as a young French international. Pogba was the captain though when we signed him so a bit extra there

They've been structured well enough given the individual situations so far, yeah - VDB and Kambwala in their last year of their contract, Fernandez already agreed upon. I like the big bonuses for all three (and buy back options for the younger two). Though the initial pretty low fees for them means we're gambling on them kicking on and being a success in order to get to the 'good parts' of the deal for us. Otherwise, some deals will just end up us giving away players for cheap who subsequently didn't kick on and gained us little extra.

That's always the gamble to securing a good initial fee in the first place. And, with other players who aren't in the last year of their contract, I'll be equally happy to see us getting a good initial fee and less about add ons and sell on - as much can go wrong with those (injuries, not kicking on enough, or kicking on but running down their contract to move on a free at the end of it, etc). However I very much like the buy back option for all the younger players.
Yeah there’s definitely a difference with getting fees for players who have not done well and or players at the end of contracts vs young players leaving. Kambwala was in both camps unfortunately but as you say it’s about getting the option for first chance if they do kick on or getting something if they go on somewhere else afterwards.

I think some of it is perception in that in the past we were selling players on the downward trajectory or at least stalled so lower fees are expected. Donny is one of these for sure but even he can resume his career and net us something in return.

With the profile of player we are aiming for now we should be able to attain better first time fees for them in the event that they don’t settle and have to be sold as they should generally be under 25 and with known potential. For those that still may leave I think the potential fee route will be the way to go for now.

Best of luck to the young man. Definitely has a lot of potential and hopefully fulfills it.

Making his debut tonight against Sevilla... partnering one Eric Bailly in defence.

Good luck Willy, you might need it.