Who is the greatest footballer named "Paul"?

Red Star One

is Paul the most talented football name globally?

who's the greatest Paul ever? Paolo Rossi? Pavel Nedved? Paul Pogba? Paul Scholes? Pablo Aimar? Paolo Maldini?

but I honestly wonder - if I were to name my son, what's the name that ensures the best left foot? Lamine is a cool one, but there's only been one.

1213351367.jpg.0.jpg

He may not be the greatest Paul. But I'd say he's somewhere up there.

Robinson
Janes - McGrath - Maldini - Breitner
Scholes - Falcão - Gascoigne
Futre - Rossi - Nedved​

Ince, Pogba, van Himst, Aimar… not a bad team

Maldini is the best but then it’s really close — a lot of them, like Nedved, Falcão, Gascoigne & Breitner were at some point genuine contenders for being the best player in the world.

Robinson
Futre - Rossi - Nedved​

Maldini is the best but then it’s really close — a lot of them, like Nedved, Falcão, Gascoigne & Breitner were at some point genuine contenders for being the best player in the world.
Incredible line up and you’re my absolute authority in terms of football history. Don’t know who beats the Pauls - maybe Luis’/Luigis? Antonios? Roberts?

Robinson
Futre - Rossi - Nedved​

Solid team that.

but I honestly wonder - if I were to name my son, what's the name that ensures the best left foot?

The Robertos can lay claim to both Carlos and Rivellino. Johns have Cruyff and Barnes, maybe Robben at a stretch (at which point RVP probably becomes a Robert). Marios do alright for themselves with Kempes and Zagallo, but apparently not Balotelli.

Ultimately the only real answer is to move to Argentina: Messi, Sivori, Kempes, Maradona, Passarella, Di Maria, Redondo, and possibly Di Stefano is an insane yield for one nation. Somehow they still wasted years forcing Zanetti to play left-back.

Lamine is a cool one, but there's only been one.

Surely that just means you'll have the highest possible strike rate?

Robinson
Futre - Rossi - Nedved​

Paulo Ferreira's a humble but throughly decent option for a post-WWII right back, too.

With honorable mentions to Pauleta. Or mentions, anyway.

Incredible line up and you’re my absolute authority in terms of football history. Don’t know who beats the Pauls - maybe Luis’/Luigis? Antonios? Roberts?

The Roberts/Robertos would be great!

Moore, Charlton, Baggio, Lewandowski, Mancini, Donadoni, Carlos, Sensini, Ayala, Prosinecki, Pires, Rivelino, Firmino etc.

Robbie Savage too.

Last edited:
There are some real good ones here:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/all-time-same-first-name-xi.454484/

Roberts are overstacked with quality: Moore, Charlton, Baggio, Carlos… Luis & the likes are also very formidable, especially if you include Luigis like Riva,

But Franks probably take the cake:

Francisco Gento - Ferenc Puskás - Ferenc Bene - Franck Ribery
Frank Lampard - Frank Rijkaard
Frank de Boer - Franco Baresi - Franz Beckenbauer - Franco Causio
František Planicka​

Can’t think of a proper right back off the top of my head but Causio played a right winger in zona mista, covering the entire wing pretty much, so he should do, it’s not like that defense is lacking in quality!

For us it has to be Scholes. I suppose neutrals would point at Breitner or Rossi

A bunch of very good footballers, and Paolo Maldini, an all time great.