Which wonder kids did Football Manager/FIFA actually get right?

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Which highly rated players from Football Manager and FIFA actually managed to achieve their potential? Messi is probably the most obvious one.

Bale and Kompany were beasts for me on FM 2007. Umtit for Barca is someone who was unheard of but my main cb in fm 2013. Sturridge ditto.. FM 2007.

I don't know how he was on FM, but Martial had incredible potential on Fifa 14. I think that was just when Monaco signed him at 17 too.

Kompany was a legend before he signed for city

I always used to always sign Hernanes, he was amazing. He has went on to have a good career in Europe and has got plenty of caps

I remember having Martial in my career team on Fifa 14 and him having insane potential.

Kompany and Vidal are the two I remember the most. I bought Vidal for utd when he was at Leverkusen and he was a monster.

I also remember buying Jason Puncheon for Preston on FM 2006 when he was MK Dons and he turned out to be a cracking player.

My FM 12 save had Erik Lamela, Vladimir Weiss, Juan Mata, Javier Hernandez, Lorenzo Crisetig, Yaroslav Rakitskiy, Sandro (of Spurs and QPR fame) and Rafinha Alcantara as some of the best players in the world.

FM 12 was wrong.

Taking the best players that were legendary as teenagers on FM:
Neymar - Phenomenal on FM when he was at Santos. So was Ganso, though.
Robben - God-like on old Championship Manager.
Hazard - Legend on every FM he's been on, even now.
James - Immense during his Porto years.
Sanchez - One of the best buys in the game from Udinese back in the day.
Tevez - Absolute beast on CM03-04.

Last edited:
Maybe not quite a wonderkid, but Patrice Evra. Always signed him from Monaco on one of them, maybe one of the later SI Championship Managers, and molded him in to a world class left back - so it was nice how that turned out in reality

Which highly rated players from Football Manager and FIFA actually managed to achieve their potential? Messi is probably the most obvious one.
The first time I heard about Messi was when he got player of the tournament in the U20 world cup in 2005, Tim Vickery mentioned him in the article. The first thing I did was search his name on FM 2005 and he was nowhere to be seen.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-...at-unearths-the-real-stars-of-the-future.html
FM developer Miles Jacobson said:
While the Prozone deal is a formal endorsement of the accuracy of FM’s data, it has long been thought that professional clubs have used the game as a resource.

“There are loads of examples of real-life transfers that haven’t officially been done using our data, some of them good deals, some of them not so good deals.

“The interesting thing for me is when players are signed that people shouldn’t have heard of before. I remember when Hatem Ben Arfa signed for Newcastle and he played his first game and had a storming debut. Alan Shearer was on Match of the Day going ‘who is this kid?’ and Twitter was full of people going, ‘Oi, Shearer, he’s been playing for my team for three years in FM’.

“So I don’t know whether Graham Carr (head scout at Newcastle United) plays it or not but certainly if he doesn’t he’s probably tapped into our scouting network in France, because of the players they’re picking up. Even the ones we’ve had wrong, they’ve ended up signing, as well as the ones we’ve had right.

“They’ve been rumours about some of the Tottenham deals. I don’t know whether those are true or not but Andre Villas-Boas openly admits that when he was Chelsea’s chief scout working under Mourinho that he used the game as a scouting tool… and why wouldn’t someone?”

Jacobson winces when I ask him about the ‘misses’ - the players who became superstars on Football Manager but were the forgotten men in real life; names like Cherno Samba, Tonton Zola Moukoko and Freddy Adu.

“I enjoy them as someone playing the game. I don’t enjoy them as someone who’s a perfectionist with his work. If we get something wrong, we’ve got it wrong.

Our strike rate is well over 99%, which is better than most managers around the world. Even Sir Alex Ferguson made mistakes with signings - you know, Kleberson, Djemba Djemba, Bebe - there have been a few over the years.”
Could be a long thread this.

I don't know how he was on FM, but Martial had incredible potential on Fifa 14. I think that was just when Monaco signed him at 17 too.
Yeah him and that other frenchie- Maupay? were amazing in one of my fifa career modes

kArAE1h.png

Saviola... no.
Still have an old PC Gamer mag in which they reviewed CM 00/01 and there's a pic of Saviola stats and underneath it says something like ' You'll find wonderkids sooner in CM before they shine in real world'

I think Saviola was the single best player FM ever had. Used to love his regular 60 goals a season. :lol:

I remember a few games having it wrong about him and didn't rate him at all.

Yep me too, I think he was pretty average in FM 2005. Rooney was also terrible in CM 01-02 I think but Ronaldinho at PSG was insanely good.

Of the back of my head and from different versions.

Griezmann
Neymar
De Gea
Courtois
Bale
Boateng
Kroos
Ozil

Other than the ones already mentioned, Cristiano Ronaldo was also great in FM and FIFA in his young days, Douglas Costa was amazing in FM when he was still at Gremio and Aguero was always a beast as well.

Other than the ones already mentioned, Cristiano Ronaldo was also great in FM and FIFA in his young days, Douglas Costa was amazing in FM when he was still at Gremio and Aguero was always a beast as well.
Fernandinho was an absolute monster from FM 09 all the way to FM 12. He was a solid ball-winner, solid defensive mid, and crazy good as a box 2 box midfielder. He could play anywhere in midfield. He's still pretty good for City right now, but not at the level FM put him at.

I think Saviola was the single best player FM ever had. Used to love his regular 60 goals a season. :lol:
Close but I think its Obafemi Martins. Used to score hat-trick every other game for Inter on my save back in the day.

I seem to remember signing Aguero on FIFA 2008 and he was brilliant.

Average at best at FM13, one of the reasons I finally switched to 16.