Film Watchmen: Chapter 1

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Matthew Rhys (“The Americans”), Katee Sackhoff (“The Mandalorian”), Titus Welliver (“Lost”), Michael Cerveris (“The Gilded Age”) and Troy Baker (“The Last of Us”) are among the voice actors cast in “Watchmen Chapter I,” the new animated feature adaptation of Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons’ seminal graphic novel.

The two-part film — directed by Warner Bros. Animation veteran Brandon Vietti (“Batman: Death in the Family,” “Batman: Under the Red Hood”) and adapted by comic J. Michael Straczynski (“Sense8,” “Babylon 5”) — was first announced at San Diego Comic-Con in 2023, but no details about the cast and filmmakers had been revealed until Wednesday, when the official trailer for the project first premiered.

“Chapter I” will debut on Aug. 13 for digital purchase and on Aug. 27 on 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray. “Watchmen Chapter II” will be released in late 2024.

Totally missed that this was a thing. Looks good.

Good cast. The last adaptation, Lindelof’s HBO limited series, is one of the best things I’ve seen on TV in years so will be interesting to see how this turns out and what they do with it.

Can't get too excited about this because I'm just going to judge it by the Lindelof TV series/sequel standards which are extremely high.

This looks like a straight adaption from the source material so risks being pigeon holed with the original film adaption...which I thought was ok but a lot of people seemed to hate.

Good cast. The last adaptation, Lindelof’s HBO limited series, is one of the best things I’ve seen on TV in years so will be interesting to see how this turns out and what they do with it.

I never even gave it a sniff, because I thought it was generally perceived as being quite bad. Maybe I will have to give it a go. I have a real soft spot for the Watchmen movie.

How is that series related to the source material?

I never even gave it a sniff, because I thought it was generally perceived as being quite bad. Maybe I will have to give it a go. I have a real soft spot for the Watchmen movie.

Really? Universal acclaim! I think it got some stick initially but nah, it’s an amazing show.

It’s sort of a remix slash contemporary modernization slash 30-years-later sequel. I believe it was generally praised as groundbreaking, bold and original. It’s really fecking good, you should watch it.

Yeah the HBO series is fantastic, think Moore hated it but that's no great surprise (and his right).

Not overly fond of the overly smooth CG animation in this, but I like that it at least takes after Gibbons' artwork.

Can't get too excited about this because I'm just going to judge it by the Lindelof TV series/sequel standards which are extremely high.

This looks like a straight adaption from the source material so risks being pigeon holed with the original film adaption...which I thought was ok but a lot of people seemed to hate.
The Snyder movie looked good, but it completely missed the point of Alan Moore’s comic, which was a deconstruction of American superheroes that showed how terrible they’d be in real life. Snyder just seemed to think ‘wouldn’t it be cool if superheroes were real’ eg the slow motion fight scene with Nite Owl and Silk Specter

Nice one! Would have missed this very likely so thanks for bringing it up. The HBO Watchmen mini series was awesome - been some time, so prolly can have a re-watch too.

The Snyder movie looked good, but it completely missed the point of Alan Moore’s comic, which was a deconstruction of American superheroes that showed how terrible they’d be in real life. Snyder just seemed to think ‘wouldn’t it be cool if superheroes were real’ eg the slow motion fight scene with Nite Owl and Silk Specter

As someone who watched it without knowing the source material at the time, I didn't think it missed the point, as that's kind of what I took from it I.e. the world isn't black and white and superheros are a?reflection of that. Though I don't disagree Snyder does dumb it down to fit in all the slow motion.

Either way the mini series made it look like a puddle by comparison.

I'll definitely give this a go but not expecting to be blown away. This was probably needed before the Snyder film for me because I'd guess it'll capture the source material a lot better

Much like Wacky Zacky's, though visually breathtaking at times, paint-by-numbers film, this cartoon adaptation seems utterly needless.
Unless of course this cartoon is going to open up that edgy, shallow, bleak world, something the TV show did a decent job of anyway, then fair enough.

Animation looks good, looking forward to it.

The movie missed the mark compared to the graphic novel and some of the characters were misunderstood as a result

so it'd be good to have something that really represents it well thats hopefully going to have a decent audience