VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

ManUnitedCanuck

No way would the ref disallow that if it was down the other end.

Theres no way Onana would have got away with that.
How many times did this happen to DeGea and because everyone said he was weak, they just wrote it off saying he has to be stronger.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
Don't know if it was a foul or not but I seriously doubt it would have been given against our GK.
If Henderson had jumped before Højlund came in and was about to collect the ball then it's a nailed on freekick. They jump more or less at the same time and Henderson is a fanny, imo

Flying high

He literally goes through the back of Dalot and doesn't touch the ball...All fine for VAR. Just another United game.

Manny

Grammar Police
He literally goes through the back of Dalot and doesn't touch the ball...All fine for VAR. Just another United game.
Exactly what I thought. The Palace player goes through the back of Dalot. Was there even a VAR check for that?

Anustart89

fecking unbelievable the way we get cunted by the refs game after game after game after game after game after game after game after game after game after game after game after game

paulscholes18

Clear foul on Hojlund, potential red card as well for denying a goal scoring opportunity then about 1 minute later it's 3-0

Dr. T

Well this is hilarious though, we are absolute dogshit. But some of these decisions... the 'foul' on henderson was nonexistent, looked like Dalot got absolutely cleaned out for their third goal...

I guess the foul on Hojlund though is yet more bullshit VAR technicality? Like they can't recommend the ref to have a look because the foul took place outside the box?

But then if the foul was a DOGSO it's a potential red card, so VAR 'should' be able to recommend a look? I literally have no fecking idea, bin the whole thing! Looks like the ref blew the whistle late for the foul on henderson to avoid the call...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Are people really trying to make out we've been hard done by tonight.

BorisManUtd

I hate our team but also feck off referee. De Gea got fouled few times and goals stood. Feck off.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Well this is hilarious though, we are absolute dogshit. But some of these decisions... the 'foul' on henderson was nonexistent, looked like Dalot got absolutely cleaned out for their third goal...

I guess the foul on Hojlund though is yet more bullshit VAR technicality? Like they can't recommend the ref to have a look because the foul took place outside the box?

But then if the foul was a DOGSO it's a potential red card, so VAR 'should' be able to recommend a look? I literally have no fecking idea, bin the whole thing! Looks like the ref blew the whistle late for the foul on henderson to avoid the call...
The commentator was so fecking careful with his words when confirming the VAR decision on Højlund.

Bear in mind the referee said no foul, reporting on the decision he said “VAR just confirming to the referee that the contact was indeed outside the area”.

ROFLUTION

He jumps into him while he's trying to catch the ball. I only have the Dutch rulebook, but that says the keeper has a protected status in the 6 yards box and you cant physically impede them from getting the ball.

Though this rule book is like 2 years old, so I suppose it might as well have changed entirely by now :wenger:
he doesnt jump much into him, so you’re just interpreting rules in an extreme manner.

Bobski

I hate our team but also feck off referee. De Gea got fouled few times and goals stood. Feck off.
And everyone on here screamed free kick at the time.

Straightforward foul, jumps into Henderson, moves him out of the way of the ball when he has his arms up ready to catch it.

BorisManUtd

And everyone on here screamed free kick at the time.

Straightforward foul, jumps into Henderson, moves him out of the way of the ball when he has his arms up ready to catch it.
But foul wasn't given was it?

Sorry, just too angry about everything atm. We were denied clear penalty at Spurs, conceded 2 soft ones at Chelsea. Did not watch the Burnley game so can't say much about situations in that game.

Oranges038

How was that not a foul on Casemiro?
He goes down a bit too easily. It looked like a clear two handed push though, I've yet to see a better replay from another angle. But that was what I thought from one side view.

The Dalot one is more annoying, Anderson kicks right through the back of him to get the ball across. If that's a defender on an attacker they'd spend half an hour looking for a penalty.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Hojlund got screwed and it was probably a foul on Dalot but I honestly don't care. We'd have lost regardless and blaming anything but the incompetence of our players and managers is quite frankly letting them off the hook.

SER19

There's 3 contentious moments around goals tonight. They might all be 50 50,but the fact is about 100% of 50 50s go against United

CoopersDream

I mean, I think it's reasonable to ask for a free kick on the third goal, I think it should have been chalked off, but even Dalot doesn't seem to think he's been fouled there. I think the Hojlund through on goal thing was a big bag of nothings, when the ref didn't take the free kick it was never going to be VAR'd to a red because it quite frankly shouldn't have been. Ref could have given the free kick though. Other than that, United's goals were both rightfully chalked off and the Casemiro thing before the fourth should never be a free kick. Can't feel too hard done here I think, we would have lost even if the third goal wouldn't stand.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The disallowed goal was wrong. Henderson needs to be far stronger.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Are people really trying to make out we've been hard done by tonight.
I mean, we were. We were also absolutely dreadful but those things are not mutually exclusive. The disallowed goal was absurd, there's nothing in it and I've seen De Gea being lambasted for years for being too weak in much harder situations and there was a foul on Dalot. The outcome of the game should not matter in debating the refereeing of them.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Games gone soft, John Terry didn't even look for a penalty when Diaby kicked him in the head.
To be fair, that was allowed as it was part of a FA approved campaign to kick racism out of football :wenger:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The disallowed goal was wrong. Henderson needs to be far stronger.
I don't see how it is different from the Badiashile bump on Konsa (I believe?) which was the reason they ruled out Disasi's late winner. Most people here believed that was a legit call, which I actually agreed with.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I don't see how it is different from the Badiashile bump on Konsa (I believe?) which was the reason they ruled out Disasi's late winner. Most people here believed that was a legit call, which I actually agreed with.
If it was two outfield players would the ref have batted an eyelid? They both jumped for the ball and both missed.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Really? It's very different when you watch both back. The Henderson/Hojlund situation is a 50/50 jump for the ball. The Badiashile/Konsa situation is a deliberate barge.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If it was two outfield players would the ref have batted an eyelid? They both jumped for the ball and both missed.
The question I asked at the time was, if it was at the other end of the pitch, would the ref give a penalty for a slight bump like that? I didn't have a problem with the Badiashile call and I think this one probably is a foul too. I did think Anderson went through Dalot for their 3rd goal, which I think was a foul.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Really? It's very different when you watch both back. The Henderson/Hojlund situation is a 50/50 jump for the ball. The Badiashile/Konsa situation is a deliberate barge.
Fair enough. I guess it being outfield player vs keeper is the key difference but to me on the replays it looked like an okay call.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Fair enough. I guess it being outfield player vs keeper is the key difference but to me on the replays it looked like an okay call.
I think if Hojlund does what Badiashile does it's a foul and rightly disallowed and if Badiashile does what Hojlund does your goal doesn't get disallowed.