VAR and Refs | General Discussion

fergies coat

I'd wager that, as annoying as it is, they get less of them wrong. The marginal ones can go either way because of the clear and obvious error threshold which I've always said has to go. The inconsistency stems from the implementation as opposed to the technology.
They've had five years to get it right, that's plenty of time. It needs to go.

Mindhunter

Before this season they were rarely ever given. Even the audio of the similar incident vs Wolves at the start of the season confirms this. The Ref repeatedly says, ''we never give those''.
What? He was nowhere near the ball. If that isn’t a penalty then the goalkeeper has carte blance to take out the striker under the garb of “going for the ball”. He had a brain fart.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Let's remove VAR and watch those same individuals get away with it with even less scrutiny, that will be great.
Plus don't ref get like 1k per VAR game ? You can ref a game on Saturday and be VAR on Sunday and pocket 2 to 3k per weekend. That's a nice comfy bonus to watch a screen for 100mn. They're never letting that easy money go away.

Withnail

They've had five years to get it right, that's plenty of time. It needs to go.
The problem is the refs will still be shit and inconsistent. Scrapping it would make the situation will be worse imo. We'd still have access to the replays with pundits mouthing off about incorrect decisions.

They might think they're trying to get it right though but their whole philosophy is wrong. It's all about using the VAR to protecting the on-field ref from criticism rather than working together as a team to get to the right decision. The whole system needs an overhaul.

It's all reactive. They lurch from rule change to rule change, mostly based on media/public furores instead of sitting down and deciding, for example, what should and shouldn't be considered off-side and what the spirit of the law was designed to prevent.

stevoc

What? He was nowhere near the ball. If that isn’t a penalty then the goalkeeper has carte blance to take out the striker under the garb of “going for the ball”. He had a brain fart.
Been watching football for 30+ years mate it's rarely been a penalty before this season, even during this season it's happened a lot with no penalty given.

Flying high

I'd wager that, as annoying as it is, they get less of them wrong. The marginal ones can go either way because of the clear and obvious error threshold which I've always said has to go. The inconsistency stems from the implementation as opposed to the technology.
But this is the issue that many of us against VAR from the start could see coming. Unless the technology was able to do the full job, we'd be stuck with subjective analysis of incidents, interpreted differently from game to game, by people with biases and natural human inconsistencies.

So, until the technology is able to remove this variable, we should go back to the ref on the field. Or, as I've wanted for a while now, a team of officials who can all make the decision but only make a call for when they are certain. So if they don't see a touch, for example, they don't just guess. The old argument that this coiuldn't be implemented in the lower leagues as they couldn't afford the extra officials, wasn't applied to VAR. There doesn't need to be one head ref when multiple people give a broader range of angles and a greater chance to get things right. It won't be perfect of course, but the situation now is a mess with the constant delays and lack of consistency, clarity and accountability ruins the experience for me.

Withnail

But this is the issue that many of us against VAR from the start could see coming. Unless the technology was able to do the full job, we'd be stuck with subjective analysis of incidents, interpreted differently from game to game, by people with biases and natural human inconsistencies.

So, until the technology is able to remove this variable, we should go back to the ref on the field. Or, as I've wanted for a while now, a team of officials who can all make the decision but only make a call for when they are certain. So if they don't see a touch, for example, they don't just guess. The old argument that this coiuldn't be implemented in the lower leagues as they couldn't afford the extra officials, wasn't applied to VAR. There doesn't need to be one head ref when multiple people give a broader range of angles and a greater chance to get things right. It won't be perfect of course, but the situation now is a mess with the constant delays and lack of consistency, clarity and accountability ruins the experience for me.
They weren't and won't only make a call for when they are certain. They'll be back to guessing again. What faith so you have that they will take that kind of approach?

The situation was a mess before, hence why so many were clamouring form the introduction of technology.

croadyman

Feel the semi automated thing could help,however why does it seem so much quicker for international tournaments

Flying high

They weren't and won't only make a call for when they are certain. They'll be back to guessing again. What faith so you have that they will take that kind of approach?

The situation was a mess before, hence why so many were clamouring form the introduction of technology.
Refereeing is hard, particularly at the top level. What we often find right now is so-called assistant refs being reluctant to make a call or correct the ref who's had to make a split second decision. Having a larger team available to see the different angles would give a greater possibility of getting the correct decision. It wouldn't be flawless, clearly. But would eliminate the sometimes massive delays we see now. If 2 officials are 'certain' but have opposing views then they can get together and talk it out, but this would be quicker than the current setup and, I think, more likely to provide a better success rate than the pre VAR days.

Withnail

Refereeing is hard, particularly at the top level. What we often find right now is so-called assistant refs being reluctant to make a call or correct the ref who's had to make a split second decision. Having a larger team available to see the different angles would give a greater possibility of getting the correct decision. It wouldn't be flawless, clearly. But would eliminate the sometimes massive delays we see now. If 2 officials are 'certain' but have opposing views then they can get together and talk it out, but this would be quicker than the current setup and, I think, more likely to provide a better success rate than the pre VAR days.
So you're advocating a new system without VAR.

I'm sorry but that's just not happening. It's fantasy stuff. If they got rid of VAR it'd go back to the way it was. An overhaul and new approach is required, I agree but that should include technology. To completely ignore video evidence seems like a backwards step.

Also how long would 'talking it out' take? One of the current criticism is the length of time it can take to get to a decision. Having 4 refs standing around having an argument about what each had seen surely isn't going to any quicker.

Flying high

So you're advocating a new system without VAR.

I'm sorry but that's just not happening. It's fantasy stuff. If they got rid of VAR it'd go back to the way it was. An overhaul and new approach is required, I agree but that should include technology. To completely ignore video evidence seems like a backwards step.

Also how long would 'talking it out' take? One of the current criticism is the length of time it can take to get to a decision. Having 4 refs standing around having an argument about what each had seen surely isn't going to any quicker.
Yes, a new system until VAR is actually ready, whether that be 1 year or 20.

It really wouldn't take long for 2 refs to run to each other, ask 'how certain are you', or 'what did you see' and come to a decision. I know it wouldn't be perfect, but it would be a big improvement on the old system where one guy was supposed to make every single decision from the angle he saw it.

The Irish Connection

I think overall var has gotten more right than compared to the refs before, but it's frustrating when they bottle decisions based on backing the on field ref.

Withnail

Yes, a new system until VAR is actually ready, whether that be 1 year or 20.

It really wouldn't take long for 2 refs to run to each other, ask 'how certain are you', or 'what did you see' and come to a decision. I know it wouldn't be perfect, but it would be a big improvement on the old system where one guy was supposed to make every single decision from the angle he saw it.
I'm really not sure where you are going with this. What is it about the technology that you think isn't ready?

We agree the approach should change but I can't see how it would be better without access to replays of the incidents.

Flying high

I'm really not sure where you are going with this. What is it about the technology that you think isn't ready?

We agree the approach should change but I can't see how it would be better without access to replays of the incidents.
Sorry I thought I was clear. An automatic system. Where the technology is able to determine whether there was contact and how much. Decide, within strict parameters, on what is considered handball, or a foul etc.

We've seen that the human element ruins the use of video replays, which aren't perfect and don't give the full picture anyway. So scrap it.

Edit: Yeah I think I forgot to include something I was going to in an earlier post, that's why I wasn't clear. Sorry to cause confusion.

Last edited:

GazTheLegend

Been watching football for 30+ years mate it's rarely been a penalty before this season, even during this season it's happened a lot with no penalty given.
Yeah these days we have the new "refereeing rules" and "refereeing man Utd rules". Under normal situations: you won't get double yellows for dissent, goalkeepers trying to claim the ball won't give pens, handballs in the box get applied different according to the two different sets.

(For me it's a stonewall penalty by the by but if you look at the number of times David de Gea got cleared out by strikers over the last few seasons with goals given no fouls you start to get kind of a grudge :lol:)

Last edited:

diarm

Oliver was never letting Arsenal lose that game. I honestly reckon he must have had money on it.

DavidDeSchmikes

Well exactly. A perfect case in point.
this is why I think pundits, commentators, fans talking about scrapping VAR in it's entirety is naive and emotionally driven
all this talk about the human element is football is all well and good, but if the refs are making human errors then what....

Parma Dewol

Is there a reason why VAR doesn’t get involved in simpler decisions? For example when a goal kick is given but the ball clearly came off the defender for a corner.

See that kind of thing happen often, and a single replay makes it clear what the decision should be, yet there’s no intervention.

Always thought technology could help get the simple things right, but there’s not even an attempt to address those mistakes.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Oliver was never letting Arsenal lose that game. I honestly reckon he must have had money on it.
Nah the league just got it in for City and easier if 2nd are relegated this summer than 1st ?

CoopersDream

I mean, you all need to realize that as soon as the goalkeeper touch another player it's not automatically the same situation.

90 + 5min

Onana launched into the Burnley player.

Boly and Ederson launched into each other.
Boly was first in that situation. Ederson was late.

It's completely different in that they're both jumping through the air and collide with each other.

Onana came from distance and hit the attacker.

You really need to take off the red tinted specs for some of these.
Just watch replay. Ederson was late. It is no 50/50 collision.

90 + 5min

It absolutely is a 50/50. The attacker even comes across Ederson's path sightly. Even if you dispute that it's nowhere near 100% on Ederson whereas yesterday was 100% Onana.
Edersons path? So now we are moving goalposts to. Why not Bolys path? Ederson is late. He comes out with his hands high. Catches Boly in upper body. Not as clean as Onana but there is contact and force behind. Watch the replay.

ManUnitedCanuck

It's completely different in that they're both jumping through the air and collide with each other.

Onana came from distance and hit the attacker.

You really need to take off the red tinted specs for some of these.
Is coming from a distance the rule? Like I can trip a player, but just don’t run from distance and then trip them.

Obviously I’m being sarcastic, but don’t think that coming from distance is written in the rules anywhere so it just has to come down to the foul. Maybe they will state that they collided in the City match vs Onana initiating contact but I think it’s very close. He comes for the ball, gets nowhere near it and takes out a man.

Withnail

Is coming from a distance the rule? Like I can trip a player, but just don’t run from distance and then trip them.

Obviously I’m being sarcastic, but don’t think that coming from distance is written in the rules anywhere so it just has to come down to the foul. Maybe they will state that they collided in the City match vs Onana initiating contact but I think it’s very close. He comes for the ball, gets nowhere near it and takes out a man.
Well that's what I meant. The players aren't moving towards each other. He comes leaping towards the defender and AWB so the onus is on him not to punch the lad in the face.