United women - pre-season

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Ok, the headline is a bit of a con because United haven't released the fixtures list but they conned me first with their tweet.

It does have some info on the link though. They'll start the pre-season training at St George's Park, then return to Carrington. The women who didn't play in the summer interntionals are back in training. The women who werw at the Euros will arrive back in August. They've got a warm weather training camp in Marbella at the beginning of September. The players at the Olympics (Jayde Riviere and Hinata Miyazawa) will come back later depending on how far they get in the tournament.

A lot of chat around the training base - new pitches laid, using the men's old gym etc. So a bit of club PR in there as well :lol:

I’m tuning in towards a nee season, hoping it is a sign of something that both Berrada and Ashworth have stressed that the women’s team is high on their current priority list (not high enough to go to Dt Georges Park instead of USA, but fair enough), and that Terland and Malard is going to hut it off like crazy, and Dominique Bloodworth now Janssen is going to show why hear ex married name was so befitting.

I don't know where the squad are at the moment but it looks like the rehab group are currently at Carrington. Not sure if that's the men's old gym - anyone know? I'm guessing yes.

We apparently beat Durham 3-0 earlier today. Toone, Terland and Amelia Oldroyd with the goals.

Thanks for the update. An interesting trio of names there!

Have they said who is going to be the new captain yet? MLT would be my choice. I see her and Turner both wore the armband during the friendly this week.

We won't be playing Liverpool today.

Funny decision by Liverpool, you'd think they could come up with enough players for a training game and it would just mean giving more youngsters a run out. Hopefully they gave United enough time to ring round the area and find a new opponent - but probably not if we only heard yesterday.

We won't be playing Liverpool today.

Funny decision by Liverpool, you'd think they could come up with enough players for a training game and it would just mean giving more youngsters a run out. Hopefully they gave United enough time to ring round the area and find a new opponent - but probably not if we only heard yesterday.

It's certainly an odd decision to pull out of a fixture at such short notice. I agree that they could easily have put a team out.

Pathetic that this info has to come from a MUTV reporter instead of the club.

Pathetic that this info has to come from a MUTV reporter instead of the club.

I think United have cost reduced the MUTV and the social media budget for this season. I know the youth team aren't getting their usual MUTV coverage. The women's team twitter account has basically been asleep for the summer - just the most basic player announcements possible.

At any rate I'm glad of the news update from the match. The ACL club and some of the new signings getting a runout has got to be good news. Nice to see us sharing the goals around as well.

A thread will go up at some point but just a heads up for new podcast previewing the #WSL season

How is the ladies team shaping up? I know there was a lot of doom n gloom, but there seems to have been quite a few incomings.

How is the ladies team shaping up? I know there was a lot of doom n gloom, but there seems to have been quite a few incomings.
There are a fair few incomings every year, the usual questions remain of how those players will fit/be utilised, and whether the big players we lost will end up being the difference.

Unknown quantity really - some very promising signings, even though no current outright stars are being added.

Skinner has always had a very fixed first XI and this season he'll lose Earps, Zelem and Blundell who played more or less every minute last season and Garcia who was absolutely critical to our best performances who had made herself a starter by the end of the season

The outfield replacements aren't one to one swaps in terms of experience, position or playing style. All we really know about the keeper at the moment is that Skinner always used Earps rather than her in the league. To go with the rigid starting XI, Skinner also had a pretty rigid playing style and formation that he liked to use - more or less irrespective of the opponent - so something has to change for the new players to be at their best.

So basically it's watch this space!

Well that's an unwelcome dose of reality :lol:

Martha Thomas the goalscorer as well.

Still, it's good to get the "bad day at the office" out of the way before the season starts.

Well that's an unwelcome dose of reality :lol:

Martha Thomas the goalscorer as well.

Still, it's good to get the "bad day at the office" out of the way before the season starts.

I think it's good for all of us to get used to these results.

Must say it's quite an achievement to have none of the pre-season matches televised and to get one social media post per game informing us of the result. Unless we lose, then it's just "narrowly defeated". Other than that, who cares, right? Lineups, updates, video footage, match reports etc. And people wonder why we don't get bigger crowds at OT :lol:

I think it's good for all of us to get used to these results.

Must say it's quite an achievement to have none of the pre-season matches televised and to get one social media post per game informing us of the result. Unless we lose, then it's just "narrowly defeated". Other than that, who cares, right? Lineups, updates, video footage, match reports etc. And people wonder why we don't get bigger crowds at OT :lol:

United did the bare minimum in terms of social media for new signings as well. It's been a very low key summer. I guess MUTV and the social media team have had a dose of downsizing to contend with.

@jojojo I don't really think that downsizing has anything to do with it, other than being a convenient excuse. You, or indeed many others on here, would have done (and have done) a better job. You'd have probably done it for free.

The attention given to the women's and academy teams is woeful.