United team building, next step: Improve attacking goalscoring abilities, sharpness and finish skill = Add more goals to the team. Post on page 2

He’s been really good.

Good thing the OP used that phrase 9 times or I wouldn't have been convinced :D

I read through some of Lucky Scout's previous predictions and his advocacy for certain signings and must say by and large he was pretty spot on. You might even say really good...

Most of his scouted players ended up being important players at big European clubs.

Also a big fan of how he sounds like a rudimentary version of chatgpt.

Next thread:
Let's have a look at Lookman and why getting this hidden gem will be a perfect replacement for Rashford.

Our new football structure should be identifying the up and coming player. Not when they already a known player. Otherwise, we will be back to the square one after spending 400M and we have one of the worst squad

Good thing the OP used that phrase 9 times or I wouldn't have been convinced :D

I read through some of Lucky Scout's previous predictions and his advocacy for certain signings and must say by and large he was pretty spot on. You might even say really good...

Most of his scouted players ended up being important players at big European clubs.

Also a big fan of how he sounds like a rudimentary version of chatgpt.
He usually only recommends them once everyone knows about them.

United team building : Getting Adam Wharton will United play 433 proactive and 4231 on a really high level. And United CM duo or next decade? Mainoo & Wharton?

I will further analyze Adam Wharton. More description on how and why this boy will help United and Ten Hag playing proactive and dominating football. 433 or 4231/4411 formation attacking football.

Adam Wharton's desciptions :

+ Wharton is the mind and brain of Crystal Palace. Moving to United he will be the mind and brain of United attack and build up.
Mind and brain = the creative and build up a team attack.
Yes, The 3 upfront of Crystal Palace might got the most credit for Palace really good performances. But if we look closely and analyze Palace attack. Then we will see most of Palace build up start from Wharton. In football world and words. Wharton doesn't have high assist passes, but he has really high 2/3 assist pass. The pass before the assist pass. Like his pass to Olise and Olise pass it to Marteta or Eze.

+ This point i will not disrespect Mason Mount. If Ten Hag want to play dominating attacking football. Adam Wharton is the cm playmaker he and United shall buy. A much deeper and controlling cm player. In the mould and category of Steven Gerrard or Michael Carrick.
I do see the intention of Ten Hag with Mason Mount. Ten Hag before the season was aiming to become the quickest transition/counter attack team in the world. With that intention and plan. Ten Hag brought Amrabat ( A defensive and ballwinner DM) and Mount's ability with pressing and without the ball skill.
Mount didn't help much this season because of his injury. But Amrabat did help United by winning the FA cup. Amrabat 2 last league matches and against probably world best team in City. Line up with a low, compact and aggressive block. Sitting back and counter against City. That plan work out.
But. Hopefully i will see Ten Hag and United with a more proactive and dominating and attacking minded set up. Adam Wharton is the cm playmaker and ball playing cm United need.

+ Like in the first post. I category Wharton as a allround cm playmaker. He is not high cm goalscorer, neither a defensive cm like Amrabat and Casemiro. But Wharton at the age of 20, cover a lot of area with and without the ball. And his physical and stamina is really high too.
Wharton will do Casemiro & Eriksen job in one. The full packet of Adam Wharton. Reason why Wharton will suit the more hold back and more defensive job in a partnership with Kobbie Mainoo, who will have a more offensive role. Like against City, where Mainoo score the goal. Wharton will control and spread the passes around.

+ His left foot is really good. And with football understanding and vision. The way he scan the pitch and game. Like i said above. 2nd or 3rd assist passes. Is really precise and good. Do we really think most of Palace's attack start from Eze, Olise and Mateta? No, deeper back in the field. Where Palace win the ball and start to counter attack quickly. Wharto is the link between those 3.
That are some of Palace's analyzing. His role at United will be the same and similar.

+ And Wharton as the nr.6 in a 433 proactive will work really well too. Like above. Wharton has all the skill and vision to be the deep lying cm playmaker. Just with a precise left foot.

Bruno (8) - Wharton (6) - Mainoo (8). In this line up. We can see that Bruno and Mainoo will have a more offensive and higher cm roles. Where Wharton will balance and control the midfield more. Bruno and Mainoo will helping adding more goals to the team. Wharton is really disipline and mature for the holding and controlling cm role. It will make the team really balance.

Back up or a more defensive 3 CM trio :

McTom/Finley McAllister (8) - Amrabat/Gore (6) - Mount (8)

So like the thread of this post : Wharton will allow and let United play 433 on a really high and balance 433 proactive football. He has every skill and mentality to suit that role.

+ Adam Wharton has a consistent mood. Wharton is not a "mood " player. Which for some mood player can switch a lot. United and Ten Hag can count on his conistent ability and mentality. He has the mentality and character to play for a top big team like United.
And for that deep lying holding cm playmaker role. You get to be disipline. You can't be all over the place. It will make the team really vulnerable for counter attack. His profile and attributes really suit that role.

+ Now. His market value has rise since i start this thread. Updating on his market value. Due to:

Adam Wharton - Player profile 23/24 | Transfermarkt

His MV has rise to : 30 mill euros.

And Wharton is a upcoming cm player. And we haven't what he can and been able to do on the highest stage of football yet. So the potential that his MV will rise is there. Really high. Special if he got pick to end and last squad to Euro 2024. And doing well for England at euro.
Easily can rise from 30 mill to 50 mill euros.

So like in business and stock world. You shall buy the stock before the rising right? Buy the stocks when it still low. Not wait to it rise to 70 -100 mill euros then buy and hit it.

Like buying Jude Bellingham before he goes to Dortmund.

So with the need of Casemiro and Eriksen replacement. Ten Hag and United want to play more dominating attacking football, unless against City and Arsenal. Plus Wharton MV still is low.
Buying Wharton this summer really make sense.

+ Wharton will not only contribute to United build up of attacks. Which i have describe a lot above. With Wharton. United will rise the "hard to beat" and "hard to run trough ". Harder to create chances against them. Wharton is good without the ball too, with the densive part of the game. He is good to timing when the start the pressing.

Sum up. From CM duo Fred & McTom----------> Casemiro & Eriksen for a season ------->

United CM duo for next decade = Mainoo & Wharton ? Can be England cm duo after Declan Rice too. Rice is 25 and 5 years older than Wharton. After Rice i could see Mainoo & Wharton for England.
I think Mainoo and Wharton play together for England youth team too.

For me. Adam Wharton is a "must " this summer. Really crucial decision and impact.
Getting a upcoming and consistent cm playmaker, both ability and mentality. A cm playmaker of Wharton is really rare. His physical and stamina is really high and consistent too.

So as a United. I will be really happy and satisfy if United buy Wharton this summer. United CM duo will be sort out of the next decade.

Shouldn’t you have made this thread before he moved to Palace, or did I miss it?

He's the one I'd like from Palace. At any cost. You just know true talent when you see it.

He's the one I'd like from Palace. At any cost. You just know true talent when you see it.
There’s like 4 players from palace who I’d like and be an upgrade for us. He’s one, olise, Eze and Guehi

Never seen him play, barely know who he is for that fact. Lets give them £20m and AWB though.

Transfermarkt "market values" aren't shop window prices. Palace would be daft to sell for 30 million after he's just made the provisional England squad. Even double that would be difficult. Plus not often players move after 6 months.

Ship has sailed here I think.

It is really important. Around same age and Mainoo and Wharton did play together for England U21. Both of them up to the Nation team.

The bonding is growing together and tone between them.

So i have a job to Mainoo. Persuade Wharton to join United.

Wharton is clearly better in the defensive than Mainoo, cover more field and ground.

It why Amrabat. A clearly DM player. Suit Mainoo really well.

Wharton playmaker ability higher than Amrabat, still Wharton has a really good ball winning ability and cover big field and ground.

Wharton will compensate Mainoo really well too.

So i upgrade Wharton to a category : Must buy

Casemiro legs and his uncertain + Eriksen same with him.

United and Ten Hag need/must sign a top ball playing cm player to rise the chance to get into top 4 and champion league football next season.

With Adam Wharton as new cm playmaker and dictating cm. United will rise chance a lot. To get top 4 and champion league football.

It is really important. Around same age and Mainoo and Wharton did play together for England U21. Both of them up to the Nation team.

The bonding is growing together and tone between them.

So i have a job to Mainoo. Persuade Wharton to join United.

Wharton is clearly better in the defensive than Mainoo, cover more field and ground.

It why Amrabat. A clearly DM player. Suit Mainoo really well.

Wharton playmaker ability higher than Amrabat, still Wharton has a really good ball winning ability and cover big field and ground.

Wharton will compensate Mainoo really well too.

So i upgrade Wharton to a category : Must buy

Casemiro legs and his uncertain + Eriksen same with him.

United and Ten Hag need/must sign a top ball playing cm player to rise the chance to get into top 4 and champion league football next season.

With Adam Wharton as new cm playmaker and dictating cm. United will rise chance a lot. To get top 4 and champion league football.

No they didn’t. Kobbie has never played for England U21s. Wharton’s only match for them was in March when Kobbie was with the senior squad.

I really like Wharton , that said , with all the trouble we are having getting dan ashworth on board , maybe the smart thing would have been to go for Dougie Freedman.

Isn't he the guy who is in charge of signing the Wharton , Olise , eze , Anderson , guehi types ?

I really like Wharton , that said , with all the trouble we are having getting dan ashworth on board , maybe the smart thing would have been to go for Dougie Freedman.

Isn't he the guy who is in charge of signing the Wharton , Olise , eze , Anderson , guehi types ?

He is indeed.

Unsure of Wharton's technical level, I think it makes sense from playing three in the midfield with defensive cover behind to screen the back four.

One area I completely agree on is the need to move for these players ahead of the curb.

Next season coming off a potentially good few months this is a different outlook, with potentially more clubs (City / Arsenal) showing interest, whereas if you go for him now a premium still needs to be paid but there's less need for a saga and he's obtainable with more reasonable wages compared to the Olise situation where now clubs will have to offer more financial incentives to leverage the advantage over other suitors.

After following Euro U19 for men and it has come to the end of July. I think i will make the end decision of mine transfer target. If i have a last decision in the club i would go for those players:

End decisions of transfer targets:

United just bought Joshua Zirkzee as a new CF. So others positions i think and believe United shall strenght are. A creative cm/nr.6 and a more defensive cm player. Plus ideally 2 new CBs.

+ CF : Joshua Zirkzee

+ A proactive and controlling CM player. An Anchor, balance and deep lying CM player : Adam Wharton from Crystal Palace

+ A more defensive CM that is really good to break up opponents attacks. Wharton can do this job too. And with job and roles. I will take the chance to give it to United own upcoming cm player in Toby Collyer and Dan Gore.
I think and believe Collyer and Gore. Those 2 boys has abilities and mentality to play that defensive cm roles. I know Wharton can do that role. And i believe Casemiro will stay this season. So it will not risky to only buy Wharton and trust those young cm players. They are around the same age as Mainoo and Wharton. So i will go more for long term perspective.
In Adam Wharton. He is both for short and long term goals. I think with Wharton and if Collyer hit the top level in his role. A defensive cm player. I think United will be good enough to challenge for top 4 at least.

+ 3 new CB : Leny Yoro = both short and long term goals/solution = top 4 goal and above
- Wassim Keddari 2005 & 19 from Spain and Al-Arabi/Qatar super league.
- Noah Markmann 2007 from Denmark
Like CM position. 1 establish CB in Leny Yoro, even at the young age. Fully fit for whole season will be good enough to help United to top 4 and above.
With Keddari and Markmann. Around the age of Mainoo. I am building a strong and solid team for the future, about 3-5 years time. 2 top and elite talents and CB in Europe. They have potential and what it takes to become really good CB in the future. I will take that chance beside having Leny Yoro in the team.

So 3 new players to sign:

+ Adam Wharton. Controlling and balance CM player. Crystal Palace. 2004. Market value: 30 mill euros

+ Wassim Keddari. CB. Al Arabi. 2005. Bought for 4.30 last summer/2023 from Espanyol.

+ Noah Markann. CB. Nordsjaelland. Denmark. 2007. No market value yet

Again reasons why i would go for young top elite CM and CBs. Special CB. I will build and strong fundament for a future strong teams. In Keddari and Markmann. 19 and 17. Around the age of Mainoo, Yoro and Wharton. So would be my goals and the way i build a new team. Challenging for the future, but still good enough to battle for top 4 in the years to come.

Now, how to line up with those new boys and players. Really promising in theirs positions. Best at theirs age and position in Europe.

Line up in 4231 first. United most use formation:

Dalot/Bissaka - Yoro/Maguire/Keddari - Martinez/Lindelof/Markmann/Evans - Shaw/Malacia/Armass

Diallo/Sancho/Antony - Wharton/Casemiro/Collyer/Gore - Mainoo/Mount - Rashford/Garnacho +

CAM : Bruno/Mount/McTom

CF: Højlund/Zirkzee/Rashford

Alternative 433 Dutch, proactive and total football line up:

Dalot/Bissaka - Yoro/Maguire/Keddari - Martinez/Lindelof/Markmann/Evans - Shaw/Malacia/Armass

Diallo/Sancho/Antony - Bruno/Collyer/McTom/Mount - Wharton/Casemiro/Collyer/Dan Gore - Mainoo/Mount/Bruno - Rashford/Garnacho

Højlund/Zirkzee/Rashford

So with only Adam Wharton who will cost some money. And Wassim Keddari and Noah Markann with lower price/cost.
I will save the money. Waiting for how it looks like with United LB position with Shaw and Malacia. 2 left back that was out nearly whole of last season. United have Armass as upcoming left back. It depend in the fitness condition. If Shaw is fully fit before the season. Then i will trust in Shaw and Armass.

And depend on how United are at the league table coming January 2025 and which positions need to strength. I will use that money on January transfer.
With Leny Yoro and the 2 new top elite CB talents in Europe in Keddari and Markmann. I think United will have many CB options to choose from.
United CBs options: Yoro, Martinez, Maguire, Lindelof, Keddari, Evans, Markmann.

Again Look at United players age. The central spine. Young top players:

CB : Yoro 2005(18) , Keddari 2005(18), Markmann 2007 (17)
CM: Mainoo 2005 (18), Wharton 2004(20), Collyer 2004 (20), Dan Gore 2004 (19), Finley McAllister 2006 (18)
CF : Højlund 2003 (21),
CAM : Amir Ibragimov 2008 (16)

Central spine = CB + CM + CAM + CF = Age from Ibragimov 2008 (16) - To Højlund 2003 (21). From 16-21. I am aiming and building a team. A strong fundament for a future really good and dominating team. Top talents in England and Europe that suit theirs best position.
Be patience. Let them gel together as a strong and solid unit. Then about 2-5 years time. As a strong collective unit, with a strong fundament.
Those are the decisions i would go for and those will be mine end and last decision for this summer transfer window, 2024.

This is how i would build United future dominating team. Personally. If i have the last decision in the club.

+ For both short and long term solution and goals = Central spine = CB Yoro - CM Adam Wharton & Mainoo - CF Højlund/Zirkzee

+ Long term solution and goals: CBs in Wassim Keddari & Noah Markmann + CM in Toby Collyer/Gore/McAllister + CAM Ibragimov

Sum those 2 goals = I will have both and long term goals for battling for top 4 and above. Both this season and the years to come.

After rethinking. Ok this will be my last decision. Due to the injury of Yoro and the uncertain of fitness condition of left back position.

I will add another player to this summer transfer targets.

His name is Odilon Kossounou from Bayer Leverkusen and Ivory Coast.

Why and reasons to buy him. Fully describe in this link below.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/noussair-mazraoui.483816/post-32242618

Line up with Kossounou :

Kossounou/Bissaka/Dalot + Yoro/Kossounou/Maguire + Martinez/Yoro/Lindelof/Evans + Shaw/Malacia/Dalot/Amass

There you have. With Odil Kossounou United will be more flexible covered than last season. Sligtly better XI and clearly stronger and more solid squad depth in the defend.

You can change the british style, but you can't take away the british fighting spirit, engine, drive, passion and core of the team.

First what is in common of Sir Busby's team, Sir Alex Ferguson team and United future dominating and winning Era?

Like dominating Spanish teams in Europe with Barcelona and Real Madrid.

+ Main core of Barcelona = CB:Puyol, CM: Busquets, Iniesta and Xavi = Spanish top level of football players, still Spanish = the core of team, Foreign players comes and goes. But they are staying for decades

+ Real Madrid = GK:Casilas, CB: Ramos = Spanish top players = the core of team. Foreign players comes and goes. But they are staying for decades

Now a dominating German team with a core of German top players in Bayern Munich :

+ Bayern Munich dominating team and era = GK Neuer, Lahm:FB/RB, CM: Schweinsteiger = Main core of the team and stay there for decades

And United own examples?

+ We start with Sir Busby : Sir Bobby Charlton, George Best, Denis Law & More = main core of the team = stay there for decades

+ Sir Alex dominating Era : CB: Bruce, CM: Robson & Ince, CF: Hughes = Core of british players
Later generation = Class of 92, Giggs, Roy Keane, Rooney, Yorke & Cole = British players = main core of the team

Others british dominating teams from England:
+ Arsenal = Seaman, Adams, Keown, Ashley Cole = british players

+ Chelsea first period with Mourinho = Terry, Lampard, Cole = played and stayed there for more than a decade = the core of the team = one of main factors behind the success of a team

+ Liverpool winning champion league first and second time = Steven Gerrard, Henderson, Trent Alexanderson, Robertson = british players = the core of the team

+ City with Pep = Walker, Stones, Foden = One of the main factor = the core of the team

+ Arsenal with Arteta? He get to bring a british top player in Declan Rice too of course. You get to have the main factor and ingredients.

Now we will talk about a future dominating Manchester United. Can United go withouth one of the main factors and ingredients. The core of the team. British players? Of course NO.

From out of now where. Erik Ten Hag was chasing and chasing Frenkie De Jong all summer long. But at that time. I bet he didn't know anything about a boy call Kobbie Mainoo. But me, who was and has following United academy from Mephis and Januzaj times in the Academy. Knew Mainoo had something to help the first team in the future.
But to be honest. If Mainoo is and meant to be in the first team in the future. Nothing is able to stop that path. No matter how hard peoples was trying.

So with Mainoo, first of one of the main factor. IF, a team with Mainoo in the team. We know. There will be more of British players coming and on theirs way to United first team.

And internally within the club/United, in the academy. There are some players that and did gave me really good confidence, that they maybe be part of dominating future United team. Like class of 92 and all examples above. You can't and Mainoo can't do on theirs own. You need top teammates playing with you.

At this moment. Young players that and gave me highest confidence are =

+ Finley McAllister : A creative ball controlling CM player. In the mould and category of Bastian Schweinsteiger. Born in 2006
+ Shea Lacey : A pacey, skill winger/wide player with air and eyes for goals. Good to set up others too. Born in 2007

And if Ten Hag is and will staying. I am hoping he will go and have guts to go for a proactive 433 total football. Now Ten Hag is not taking risky choice. We he is sticking to 4231/4411 formation.

Again let us remind the ages of maybe, maybe. Key factors and main core of a future dominating team in the future. If those young boys. From the academy. Can deliver what they did so far, on the highest level and biggest stage. Old Trafford and Theatre of Dreams. Together like Sir Busby, Sir Alex class of 92 and Rooney. Barca tik taka football, Real Madrid fast, direct and effience football. They can be the main core and ingredients of the team.

Kobbie Mainoo. 2005. CM/8 = creative and offensive cm player = better with ball than without
Finley McAllister. 2006. CM/8 = creative and offensive cm player = better with the ball than without
Shea Lacey. 2007. RW = Pacey, flair and skill ful RW with eyes for goals and assist passes

I will come back with this later.

+++ And HERE i will bring another British young and top player in Adam Wharton from Crystal Palace. Honestly before 2024 i didn't knew who this boy was. Me, who didn't scout and following championship and lower leagues.
He brought from Championship league with Blackburn to Palace 01.Feb.2024. And just 3 months later. He and Palace hit the top form, around a month before the Euro squad selection.

With results like those: It really starts with Liverpool strong away victory
14.04.24 Liverpool away victory 0-1
21.04.24 West Ham Home victory 5-2
24.04.24 Newcastle home victory 2-0
27.04.24 Fulham away 1-1
06.05.24 A really weak Manchester United/line up. Home victory 4-0
11-05.24 Wolves Away Victory 1-3
19.05.24 Aston Villa trashed Villa at home. 5-0

Wharton did started in all those games. His Palace career started with many looses. But it just the naturally times you need to adapt and get use to the intensity, physical and speed of premier league. But if you beat Liverpool away, at Anfield. It got to give you some boost of confidence. Yes from that date. 14.04.24. Around a month before the Euro selection. The timing couldn't be better = 6 victories and 1 draw.

Now, in short what Adam Wharton brough and did to help to lift Crystal Palace performances? From sacking theirs manager just right after they brought Adam Wharton. Roy Hodgson on 19. February got sacked by Palace.

What Wharton did to lift and help Palace performances:
+ He is good tackler and a really good ball winner. Average 3 succesful tackles each game. 1.3 avg interception
+ He is really good at controlling the ball
+ He has a precise left foot
+ He is really calm with the ball. High level of composure
+ He has the perfect balance beeing aggressive without the ball/the pressing and calm and composure when he has the ball/win it back. That switch from aggressive to cold. That balance. He has it
+ Consistent mood and intelligence player/football vision and understanding

+ So with his teammates. Pacey, skill full and sharp attacking players, special wingers. He served them on a consistent level. When he win the ball. He delivering it quickly to Palace super fast and skill ful players, that were effience against team with high line defend like Liverpool, Villa, United slow and old defenders.
In others words. Having the trio in Olise, Eze and Mateta. Made is ball winning and interception ability really good. They really made out of Wharton ball winning ability into goals. So we can say. They depend on each others. Those trio made Wharton looked really good and otherwise.

Crystal Palace line up, just with the players have been mentioned. The core of Palace team/line up in a 4411 counter attack set up:

Olise - Wharton - Hughes - Eze/Mitchell + Ayew + Mateta. Playing a high line with your defend against those pacey, sharp and skill ful players in Eze & Olise. With a really good ballwinner in Wharton. Who was precise with his forward passes too. It is and unknown suicidal tactic. Playing right into Palace trap.

And that are exactly what Adam Wharton will bring to Manchester United. A future dominating United Era? Wharton & Mainoo = for the next decade and more.

Then let us bring back United really promising young players from the academy. How United future team. Maybe in 3- 5 years time could be look like. A potential proactive 433 total football.

Kobbie Mainoo. 2005. CM/8 = creative and offensive cm player = better with ball than without
Finley McAllister. 2006. CM/8 = creative and offensive cm player = better with the ball than without
Shea Lacey. 2007. RW = Pacey, flair and skill ful RW with eyes for goals and assist passes
Adam Wharton. 2004. A controlling, creative and balance cm player with high level of ball winning ability and interception.
Alejandro Garnacho. 2004. LW

So in a potential 433 proactive and total football line up and set up :

Lacey - McAllister(8) - Wharton (6) - Mainoo (8) - Garnacho/Rashford + Højlund/Zirkzee

In this 433 line. Wharton will control, shield, balance, bind and spread the passes around. With runners cm/box to box in Mainoo and McAllister. 2 pacey and sharp wingers. Will make United have the players that suit the roles best.

There you have. Now i will summarize the 2 topics of this post. Under the main topic which is United team building:

1. What has United future dominating team in common with, NOT only with past British dominating team in both domestic and in Europe. Both Spanish and German teams

2. What Adam Wharton brought and did to help to lift Palace performanes? And what and will he do the same to help and lift United performances in the future?

So again. Football history has been showing us. To be a dominating team in your country and in Europe. Your team have to. A core and main ingredient and factor of your homegrown players or for United and Liverpool. Like Roy Keane, Giggs, Irwin and Andrew Robertson = British players. In your team. I can't imagine a future United without a single British players in the line up.
It's why Kobbie Mainoo from many years back, from the academy. Slowly build his way up to the first team.
And at this moment. I do rate Adam Wharton as a i really good CM in premier league and top level of football in general. Has what it takes, to be part of main core and ingredients of a future dominating team.
With hopefully others British young United players coming up in McAllister and Shea Lacey. At least 4 top players will be really good.

So with the profiles, abilties and criteria of Adam Wharton. Half year back most of us didn't knew who he was.
First with Kobbie Mainoo few years back winning FA youth cup. Then short later from a unknown player. If United are gonna to dominate with Kobbie Mainoo. I think Wharton is on his way/the path to Old Trafford too. Mainoo can't do it alone, as a lonely British players in the line up. I get to be more.
"Legend never walk alone "....This qoute is to future United legends too.
From Sir Bobby, Best and Law. Trough Class of 92 + Giggs and Rooney----------> future United dominating team. Only Kobbie Mainoo in the line up? Not a chance....More British future United legends....are on the marching...to Old Traffod and first team. I predict Adam Wharton is one of them ;)

Winning premier league or getting top 3 require and demand more than just being a top counter attack and ball winner team.
Because you get to convert your ball winning abilities into goals and end product.

And it is where United have to strenght and improve a lot, this season. To get into top 4.

Personally i predict United will not win premier league this season. Because of the reason mentioned. United don't have enough goals in the team to win and get top 3 this season.
The game against Liverpool just showed it. And Ten Hag admitted it. Liverpool were more clinical and sharper. City, Liverpool and Arsenal have more goals and potential goalscorer in theirs teams.
Not only United lacking goalscorers. But the quality and conistent level of United wingers are not good enough. I will prove with stats from earlier premier league winning sides. With a similar counter attack and transition set up and style.

+ Here are some stats from previous premier league champion teams with :

Chelsea with Mourinho second spell, premier league champion season 14/15 :

Diego Costa, CF : 24 starter and 2081 min in premier league. 20 goals

Eden Hazard, Super quick and skill ful LW : 38 starter and 3377 min in premier league. 14 goals and 9 assist

Matic as ball winner and DM

Leicester premier league champion season 15/16:

Riyad Mahrez, RW: 36 starter and 3055 min in premier league. 17 goals and 11 assist

Jamie Vardy, CF. 36 starter and 3174 min in premier league. 24 goals and 6 assist

Kante as ball winner and DM

Chelsea with Conte, premier league champion season 16/17:

Diego Costa, CF: 35 starter and 3088 min in premier league. 20 goals and 7 assist

Eden Hazard, LW: 36 starter and 3001 min in premier league. 16 goals and 9 assist

Kante and Matic as ball winner and DM

Those 3 premier league champion sides are more a counter attack set up than a proactive and ball controlling team.

And reasons and factors why they succed to win the premier league? :

+ Mourinho had top and world class winger in Eden Hazard. Who was super quick, special in the first metres. Consistent over 3-4 seasons. He had a world top CF in Costa. 2 big big reasons why Mourinho's counter attack set up were working. You get to have players to finish the work, to finish the counter attack.

+ Leiceister with world class RW in Mahrez and a super fast and clinical Jamie Vardy. Kante top abilities would be useless if Mahrez and Vardy were poor and not sharp with finishing.

So the question are? Do you United have top, sharp and clinical finisher in the team?
Do you United have top and consistent attacking players? Not only with goalscoring. But creative and ability to beat and pass players, easily?

If the answer are yes = United don't need to strenght or develop those skills.
But if the answer are no = United next step and team building = to develop or strength attacking skills and finishing.

So it mean. One of United wingers have to score 10-15 goals. Rashford, Garnacho, Diallo and Antony
One of United CF shall score 20 goals + Højlund, Zirkzee and Bruno
To get into top 4. That are what it demand.

That are what i think United next step in the "process " team building and development of the team:

United attacking players and as a team. Can prove me wrong. But at the current moment of United attacking abilities. When it come to beating players and goalscoring skill. Sharpness and finish skill. United need to improve a lot. It's not only enough to be a good and top ball winner team.
United might get top 4. Behind City, Arsenal and Liverpool. But to get above those 3 teams. I think United shall score over 80 goals this season. Top 4 maybe over 70 goals, if you close your own shop and concede less goals.

For me, from mine observing and analyzing of Untied attacking abilities and qualities. Those things are what United need to do next, next step in "United team building process".