Other UK Broadband

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Just cancelled Sky broadband so we have 2 weeks to find another provider.

Was an ok service but expensive for the speed we were getting and others seem to be able to give us 250mb and upwards instead of 60 for less money.

Anyone got any recommendations or horror stories?

Cheers.

Can’t get anything faster than ~50Mb here, but have been with Plusnet for a while and no major complaints.

Hardly any downtime, and every time the contact is up I phone them up and they give me a renewal at a similar price.

Think I read recently that Ofcom is going to ban mid-contract price rises. Not sure when that comes in, probably not soon enough for you.

Funnily enough, I've just changed to Sky from Vodafone, as it's cheaper. We don't get speeds faster than 35-40mb here though.

We’ve just switched to Sky fibre, £34 a month for 500mps.

Used to be on 3 Mobile 5G, but since we moved out of the city centre it just wasn’t reliable.

It depends if you can get full fibre, Virgin or other options like community fibre in your area. If you Google, there's a postcode checker.

Ta have just signed up to Virgin it's around 250 speed and £8 cheaper so got to be worth a shot.

Bloke on the phone in Sky was sound they just can't go above the 50-60 speed limit where we are at the moment.

We've been with Lit Fibre for a year and a half now, they're a new company, only available in a few places in England so far, but if they're in your town, I'd recommend them. We get 500mbp/s for £27 per month, though speedtests say we're getting closer to 700mbps. Haven't had a single dropout since we joined them, and their customer service is excellent.

I went from getting about 500mbs with Virgin to around 26mbs with Sky (no fiber where I've moved to).

I was really worried about it tbh. Especially with WFH and streaming but the only difference I've noticed is it takes PS games significantly longer to download.

It's honestly changed my view on the whole thing. Always thought I needed superfast to game, stream etc but turns out you really don't.

A guy in work has gone with You Fibre, he can get 8Mbit upload and download. :eek:

Vodafone Gigabit product is decent, you can normally join at discounted rate, usually around £35/40.

I'm getting 320 with virgin. They've increased their speed periodically but it doesn't really matter in practice, it was fine when it was well below that anyway, and I've not been able to tell any difference in recent years.

I’m with Virgin and get 1gb, partly because I’m with O2 so I get a x2 boost.

I think it’s quite expensive to get it outside of a contract with the rest of their services, it’s quite expensive anyway but it is a very good service.

My only complaint is that the mesh WiFi they provide with it is rubbish with my 130 year old house with solid walls. I get about 400mb in my office but I’m going to hardwire it.

Brsk’s FTTP has been excellent. Can’t remember the exact price but it’s something like £35pm and that’s for 500 both up and downstream. I also needed an IP4 address (it used IP6 by default) and the engineers were dead helpful.

I went from getting about 500mbs with Virgin to around 26mbs with Sky (no fiber where I've moved to).

I was really worried about it tbh. Especially with WFH and streaming but the only difference I've noticed is it takes PS games significantly longer to download.

It's honestly changed my view on the whole thing. Always thought I needed superfast to game, stream etc but turns out you really don't.

That's pretty good for non-fibre broadband. Up until a year and a half ago, we had no fibre at our address. The best we could get on copper broadband was 7mbps. It was grim. If we were watching Netflix, we couldn't do anything else. Downloading games would take about 3 days of leaving it running overnight.

25-30mbps would probably be suitable for us too. Though I do like being able to download a game or a torrent for an entire series in seconds.