UEFA Euros Draft FINAL- P-Nut vs Gio

Who would win this match based on Euros performances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Players should be judged on Euros performances only

Team P-Nut

lineup.png

VS

Team Gio

final.png

P-Nut Writeup

A team built around the greatest performer ever seen at a single euros championship - Platini. He has everything he needs here to thrive and play his natural game.

DEFENCE

Lahms ability to build play from the back right side comes to the fore ensuring consistent outlets across the back line to progress the ball.

Breitner adds his attacking qualities to the LB spot, it was at the Euros that he shot to worldwide fame with his attackings style.

Sciraa & Pepe provide a sweeper-stopper combo with great pedigree at the Euros. Scirea during his team of the tournament performance conceded 1 goal in the tournament and unfortunately went out on penalties. Pepe has had numerous tournaments with similar feats. This season they went out on pens conceding 1 goal all tournament, whilst his team of the tournament run did concede in the group stage, when it got to the knockouts it was clean sheet after clean sheet.

MIDFIELD

Deschamps and Vieira combine to provide a platform for Platini to work his magic. A complete sitter in Deschamps combined with the power of Vieira ensures anyone looking to play through the middle will have a tough time.

Platini has everything he needs to perform at his absolute top level. As already mentioned Deschamps and Vieira set the platform, Arshavin provides the interplay, Poborsky stretches the pitch wide & Villa occupies the defence and pushes them deeper.

ATTACK

Arshavin and Poborsky take the wing spots, Arshavin playing slightly narrower to allow a Breitner overlap. Poborsky stays wide (utilising his 1 on 1 dribbling) allowing Lahm to underlap and help the midfield.

Villa provides a threat across the front line, capable of drifting either side, his work rate keeps the defenders pushed back and puts a pressure on build up.

Every single player has featured in the team of the tournament at least once, with a host of winners or runners up across the squad.

Gio writeup

TACTICAL POINTS

• The final reinforcement is Franz Beckenbauer. Moore was obviously brilliant, but Beckenbauer hit his absolute prime at the Euros of '72 and '76 demonstrated by winning the Ballon D'Or in both seasons. He will elevate those around him, helping to minimise the threat of any attacking runs by Pnut's midfielders.
  • The defence is rock solid. Frank Rijkaard was flawless in a more defensive role at Euro 88 and with his physicality and aggression he's a perfect foil for the Kaiser. Thuram's experience centrally enables him to tuck in which allows Facchetti to push on.
  • The midfield is hard-working and all comprised of top-tier Euros performers. Nedved / Schuster / Rooney / Figo are infectious pressing off-the ball and should give the opposition midfield no space to breath in the middle of the park.
  • Rooney and Van Basten have a great platform to shine from the front. With Nedved, Figo and Schuster bursting from midfield, Rooney's Euro '04 surging runs, and the galloping counter-attacker Facchetti, we will aim to be deadly in the transition. Equally there is serious passing ability from the midfield which will provide a mix of incisive line-breaking service through the middle as well as more traditional wing play down the flanks.
FERNANDO TOLDO
Toldo played just the one international tournament - but what a tournament it was. A massive presence behind one of the greatest defences, his finest hour arguably come in fending off the Dutch onslaught in the semi-final, saving 3 penalties over normal and shootout time.

GIACINTO FACCHETTI
Gran Capitano of Italy's winning Euro-68 side. Aged 25, Facchetti was in his physical prime, wore the no10 shirt while helping to keep 2 clean sheets in 3 matches. Selected in the Team of the Tournament.

FRANZ BECKENBAUER
Team of the Tournament and Ballon D'Or Winner in both 1972 and 1976. Won Euro '72 and runner-up in '76.

FRANK RIJKAARD
The outstanding stopper of Euro 1988 when, aged 25, he produced a series of dynamic and commanding displays. He had the highest number of tackles per game (5.4) of any player in the tournament. Selected in the official team of the tournament and was Sofascore's second highest rated player of the tournament behind Van Basten.

LILLIAN THURAM
Selected in the Euro 2000 team of the tournament as France dominated a high-class affair. Thuram was at his physical peak from right back, excelling defensively (most duels and interceptions of any defender in the tournament) and offensively with his trademark runs from deep.

RODRI
Player of the Tournament at Euro 2024. Now widely regarded as the best central midfielder in the world, Rodri was the midfield architect behind Spain's Euro 2024 winning campaign.

BERND SCHUSTER
Schuster electrified Euro 1980 by dominating the Netherlands and Belgium in the semi-final and final respectively. A tigerish and talismanic presence from his right-sided central-midfield role. He created or scored 4 out of the 5 goals that West Germany netted in those two decisive games. Runner up in the Ballon d'Or later that year.

PAVEL NEDVED
Boasts an impressive portfolio of Euros performances. Runner-up at Euro 1996, Kicker's Highest Rated Player at Euro 2000, and semi-finalist at Euro 2004. It is the '04 version of Nedved that takes his place in the team here when he was the reigning Ballon D'Or winner and at his swashbuckling and talismanic best. The Czechs surged to the semi-finals and it was no coincidence that Nedved's injury during that game was a fatal blow to their attacking game that they were unable to recover from.

LUIS FIGO
In his Ballon D'Or winning pomp at Euro 2000, Figo was a chance-creating machine throughout his 3 Euros tournaments between 1996 and 2004. At Euro 2000 he provided 3 assists, created 4 chances per game (higher than anyone else), and averaged 3.5 dribbles per game. Two times selected to the Team of the Tournament.

WAYNE ROONEY

MARCO VAN BASTEN

Wonderful teams. Particularly chuffed with @P-Nut taking Arshavin and Poborsky into the latter stages of the draft as they fully deserve their places in this theme.

I'm going to struggle to separate the teams here unless there's some chinks in someone's Euros credentials that I've overlooked.

Deserving finalists, can't see much wrong with either team, Platini uber GOAT form might swing it, but then I also see Kaiser and MvB on the other team. Will follow discussions.

I think I’ll go for P-Nut. I’m not sure I like the CB pairing Gio has and I think P-Nut has less shiny names who are tournament GOATs/ATGs.

My vote may change depending on discussions so will keep an eye on the thread if I can.

Wonderful teams. Particularly chuffed with @P-Nut taking Arshavin and Poborsky into the latter stages of the draft as they fully deserve their places in this theme.

I'm going to struggle to separate the teams here unless there's some chinks in someone's Euros credentials that I've overlooked.

Cheers, yeah I really had to force myself to stick to the theme of the draft so its been nice not to go out instantly to shinier names.

Can't criticise @Gio team at all really.

I think I’ll go for P-Nut. I’m not sure I like the CB pairing Gio has and I think P-Nut has less shiny names who are tournament GOATs/ATGs.

My vote may change depending on discussions so will keep an eye on the thread if I can.
If we take a Euro lens on this, then I can't see the issue with Rijkaard and Beckenbauer. Rijkaard was a pure stopper at Euro '88. Obviously he was a brilliant one, but he was essentially a stopper (see the stats in the OP) and he played next to Koeman. Now that seemed to function really well, with Rijkaard winning a lot of the first balls and Koeman patrolling to mop up and deploy his class on the ball. Probably the best part of the team next to the attack of course. So the same dynamic with the Kaiser would be in play here.

I reckon Rijkaard is great alongside the Kaiser here. As Gio said he partnered Koeman in 88 and worked really well.

Inclined to go for P-Nut for the bold move of sticking with Arshavin and Poborsky who were both absolute monsters during their key Euros tournaments.

I probably am an idiot, but I liked the team with Moore more. Beckenbauer doesn't really change the look of the team from the semis and I am not a fan of Schuster 1980 in a man 2 midfield although he did play the aggressive role at Koln too in the 1979 games I might have watched.

Either ways, in my mind the semifinal team from Gio was already the best team of the draft by a mile. He really should have changed something in the midfield two.

I think Platini will run riot here but I have to give this to Gio, the Rijkaard tactical shift deserves a draft win.

Think Euro Rooney - Van Basten are one of the best strikers partnership I've seen. Just can't take my eyes from those two. Not sure how you defend or handle them.

Wonderful job from P-nut to get Arshavin/Poborsky/Pepe to the final. Definitely understand the view that only this feat is worthy of a vote. Well done to both of you feckers.

wouldnt usually vote in this as i think its impossible to call as both teams are insane but went for peanuts for sticking with poborsky and arshavin....pretty sure gio wont mind after winning zillion drafts.

Went with Gio in the end, he nailed that defence, Kaiser is a supercharged Koeman and Rijkaard is the perfect foil. And I'm glad he didn't get rid of Rooney, he was electric in his first Euros. I think Gio's full backs will also be able to negate Pnuts wingers which is one of his biggest strengths. Although, I do think Platini could nick a goal here.

Went with Gio in the end, he nailed that defence, Kaiser is a supercharged Koeman and Rijkaard is the perfect foil. And I'm glad he didn't get rid of Rooney, he was electric in his first Euros. I think Gio's full backs will also be able to negate Pnuts wingers which is one of his biggest strengths. Although, I do think Platini could nick a goal here.
Tempted by Gullit for obvious reasons, but Rooney was outstanding really, just a wrecking ball tearing it up.

I do love the Arshavin and Poborsky picks. Watched a lot of Euro '96 back over the last year or two and Karel stands out. As you say though I think I've got the two best in the pool in Facchetti and Thuram - in terms of their Euro-winning and top-performing credentials as big defensive rocks who could stop them.

Likewise I think all 22 have very strong Euro credentials. The only one I'm not totally persuaded by is Lahm given he mostly played at left-back and was at fault for Torres' winner in 2008 and Balotelli's winner in 2012. But equally though he had plenty of strong performances at the Euros and you can see how he complements P-Nut's excellent team here.

Well played @Gio @P-Nut, draw is probably a fair result.

But we still have to decide this. I rather we do penalties than one simple coin toss to decide it.

Therefore, can you both send me 5 choices for your penalty taker and 5 choices for your GK dive direction .

The choices are left, centre and right.

Thanks, results incoming

First up for @Gio is his stalwart Marco Van Basten, a man who has only missed 4 penalties his whole career, he walks up calmly places the ball down and smashes the ball with precision into the bottom left corner, Donnarumma dives the wrong way.

Gio 1 - 0 Pnuts

Up for Pnut is no surprise - the maestro Platini who has been key for him this tournament. He walks with swagger ball under the arm, Toldo attempts to psyche him out with trash talk but Platini isn't paying him any. He takes a short run up and strokes it toward the left... But Toldo dives the right way and palms the ball away! Platini's teammates cannot believe it.

Gio 1- 0 Pnut

Wayne Rooney who has played like a man possessed is sent in next, can he match his strike partner and score this important penalty? Donnarumma towel in hand wiping awy the sweat appears to be stalling Rooney who looks focused. He runs in with purpose and leathers the ball down the middle, Donnarumma goes right.

Gio 2 - 0 Pnut

Last edited:
Pressure is on Paul Breitner to keep Pnut in the game, Toldo continues his antics trying to put him off, referee gives him a warning to cut it out. Breitner a man with ice through his veins calmly caresses the ball into the top left corner, Toldo goes right, was there any doubt?

Gio 2 - 1 Pnut

Luis Figo is up next for Gio, looks like he's shitting a brick, but maybe that's just the way he looks? Donnarumma senses this and is standing over the penalty spot waiting for Figo, there seems to be some sort of exchange before the ref sends the goalkeeper back to his line. Can Figo retain the lead? Figo runs up doesn't connect particularly well with ball but it rolls into the left of Donnarumma who only seems to know how to dive one way (right). What's this? Figo goes running straight down the tunnel, looks like he really did need a shit!

Gio 3 - Pnut 1

David Villa who has been in great form this tournament confidently walks towards the penalty spot. He places the ball down looking totally focused while Toldo is clowning around on the goal line trying to put him off. He runs up, pauses and catches Toldo's initial movement to the left and calmly slots ball down the middle of the goal and keeps Pnut in the game.

Gio 3 - 2 Pnut

of course the french fraud misses, should have given it to poborsky

Pavel Nedved who has worked his socks off for his team tonight is up next for Gio. He's looking a bit nervous as he brushes is hair away from his eyes. Donnarumma has to produce something here to keep Pnut in the game. Nedved runs up and goes for the bottom right but doesn't quite connect and Donnaruma saves easily! Looks like he can't dive any other way but it pays off this time, as they say a broken clock is right once a day!

Gio 3 - Pnut 2

Can Poborsky level the game for Pnut? he doesn't look phased as he places the ball on the spot. He runs in calmly and hits the ball with height down the centre over Toldo's legs who dives to the right! Game on!

Gio 3 - 3 Pnut

Gio's captain and leader Beckenbauer is taking up the responsibility for the 5th penalty. He doesn't look like he's going to miss, even Donnarumma isn't bothering to try and wind him up. Beckenbauer calmly passes the ball into the bottom left corner, Donnarumma is still malfunctioning and continues to dive right.

Gio 4-3 Pnut

Pressure all on Pnut's last taker, there doesn't seem to be anyone keen to take it apart for Deschamps who grabs the ball and walks upto the penalty spot. He takes a deep breath and smashes the ball to the right, Toldo doesn't move as he watches the ball rifle into the net! Sudden death penalties incoming!

Gio 4 - 4 Pnut

@Gio @P-Nut please send in 5 more selections for the sudden death round/s.

Sudden death incoming

There appears to be a commotion in Gio's camp where it appears he can't find a taker, so he grabs Rijkaard by the scruff and sends him on his way. Brave choice from Gio as Rijkaard has only scored 2 penalties in his career, but as one of the more senior and high reputation player on the team he's an obvious choice. Rijkaard places the ball down while Donnarumma stares him down, I wonder if he's learned that he's allowed to dive other than towards the right? Rijkaard gobs to the right then runs up curls the ball towards the top right corner, but Donnarumma stays where he is! Rijkaard scores an excellent penalty and Donnarumma proves he knows he doesn't have to dive to the right each time!

Gio 5-4 Pnut

It's not just Gio having issues finding a willing taker, Pnut appears to be trying to get Patrick Vieira to take the next penalty but looks like he's seeing the ghost of Roy Keane and is reluctant! Pepe comes marching in pushes Patrick away and grabs the ball and makes his way to the spot, a player not short of bottle! Wait what's happening here, Pepe is winding Toldo up! Things are getting heated and Pepe headbutts Toldo! Ref sends Pepe off! Pnut now needs a new taker!

Vieira can't believe his luck and Pnut orders he has to take it, Toldo is now making chicken gestures on the goal line! Vieira not looking confident gets ready to shoot, he takes a short run up and shoots dead centre, Toldo stays where he is and blocks the ball with his feet and saves the penalty! Gio's team wins the shootout and wins another tournament, the man truly is a machine!

Final penalties score Gio 5 - 4 Pnut.

Congratulations @Gio and commiserations @P-Nut.