The Sun: Gunners Pounce For Carrick

Bearded but no genius

The Sun blowing steam. There's no way Arsene would be willing to take the risk of replacing him with somebody like this.

---------
Gunners pounce for Carrick
By ANDREW DILLON

ARSENAL made a £3million bid for Michael Carrick last night — as a shock replacement for Patrick Vieira.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger sees the West Ham midfielder as a cut-price alternative when his French skipper joins Real Madrid.

Carrick is also wanted by Charlton, Portsmouth and Everton — but Arsenal have jumped to the top of the queue.

Wenger’s No 1 target was Liverpool’s Steven Gerrard but the England midfielder has now decided to stay put on Merseyside.

Carrick, 23, has just one year left on his West Ham contract and the Hammers are anxious to get his £24,000-a-week salary off their wage bill as soon as possible.

Wenger has always been an admirer of the Geordie lad and has a knack of turning bargain buys into superstars.

Carrick lives right on the Gunners’ doorstep and now looks to have moved ahead of Porto’s Maniche as the man to take the place of departing Vieira.

The Hammers ace would also love to get back into the England reckoning and a move to Highbury could offer him just the sort of fast track to Sven Goran Eriksson’s squad that he is after.

While Vieira may be missing, Carrick could not fail to benefit from playing alongside the likes of Robert Pires, Freddie Ljungberg and Gilberto Silva.

Charlton boss Alan Curbishley has £12m to spend following the sale of Scott Parker to Chelsea and Claus Jensen to Fulham and will be ready to swoop if Carrick decides to snub Arsenal.

Assistant manager Mervyn Day said: “We are looking for a midfielder who can pass the ball a bit and obviously Michael is that type of player.”

Portsmouth yesterday made a final £3m bid of their own for Carrick.

Chairman Milan Mandaric upped his offer after an appearance-linked deal was rejected on Tuesday.

He said: “Our new offer is more than fair and we are going to draw the line after this one.”

Charlton could still lose Italian striker Paolo Di Canio as he eyes a dream move back to Lazio, the club he supported as a youngster.

Di Canio’s agent arrived in London yesterday to negotiate a release for his client from a one-year deal signed in the summer.

kelvinhole said:
Carrick for Vieira? How will that ever work out? You're having a giraffe. :lol:
Hopefully Arsenal fans will get the opportunity to have that giraffe, but I agree, there's no way 'Professor Blind' is this blind.

Unless Arsenal is more financially crippled (b/c of the new stadium) than they'd have us believe?

More BS by the Sun i can see.

Have they got tired of us a moved on to te arse cnuts

:smirk:

Carrick is an average player whose level is around Charlton and Pompey - midtable.

jasonrh said:
Hopefully Arsenal fans will get the opportunity to have that giraffe, but I agree, there's no way 'Professor Blind' is this blind.

Unless Arsenal is more financially crippled (b/c of the new stadium) than they'd have us believe?

Perhaps Professor Blind sees something in Carrick that all of us have missed, namely his amazing resemblance to Patrick Vieira. I don't.

Carrick is a bag of potential. Lampard was probably mocked by a lot of the same people. I thought Carrick would be a hit a few years ago when I first saw him and I still think so now. Replacing Vieira, now I don't know about that. No I believe that is just bullshit from The Sun. Looking for a story, nothing more. But I could see why Wenger would want Carrick much like how he wanted Persie. Little work-in-progrss projects that could potentially turn out to be ready made replacements in the future at bargain prices.

Hes not as good as Viera, but then neither is he as old as him, he is a very good young player that has a lot of ability and could be great in the future.

Much more to do with English players' transfer fees approaching value for money.

Cue the Arsenal fan:

"Carrick is a great player, one for the future, I always said we should sign him"

Actually it was your man Mozza who said that. Tho' I think he was good a couple of seasons ago and I'm surprised someone hasn't picked him up. Well worth it at 3M compared to Mr Butt.

MelvinYeo said:
More BS by the Sun i can see.

Have they got tired of us a moved on to te arse cnuts

:smirk:

Carrick is an average player whose level is around Charlton and Pompey - midtable.

:rolleyes:

If Vieira had gone that summer Carrick would of signed for us, right at the last min Vieira pulled out of the R.Madrid deal so we pulled out of the Carrick deal

jusy wanted to show everybody how their opinions have changed over time

why the hell is everyone dragging up threads from the dead today?

WTF is wrong with this place? :nono: as if theres not enough uptodate transfer bullshit, people on here are dragging up irrelevant shite from 2003/04/05:mad:

:D Seems that I was proven wrong

He did come on leaps and bounds last season though, whereas before that he did not show his ability often enough to justify a place even in the Spurs team.

Mozza said:
Hes not as good as Viera, but then neither is he as old as him, he is a very good young player that has a lot of ability and could be great in the future.

I don't remeber writing this, glad I did though