Gaming The RedCafe NBA Simulation 17/18 | Season Preview Part 3 | Draft and Free Agency | Basketball GM | Join and become the next Kevin Durant

hobbers

It's not entirely clear how overall rating is decided, but the actual rating has no impact on how good a player actually is. Or rather, the overall rating is a function of the other ratings, which obviously directly decide how good a player is, but the algorithm isn't necessarily... correct - or straightforward. Particularly when you guys get your grubby, meddling hands on it, and create players that the game would never make on its own.
I think it must be weighted most to height, jumping, dribbling and the IQs

14/15 End of Regular Season New

nimic

something nice
Scout
14/15 End of Regular Season

(@BenitoSTARR @Dan @Dr. Dwayne @P-Nut @Salt Bailly @Samid @Skizzo @Solius @Stobzilla @The Cat @V.O. @altodevil @hobbers @oneniltothearsenal @reelworld @sebsheep @weetee)

Solius still has it.

Final Standings

Sort of as expected! hobbers and Skizzo keep dominating with the Celtics - except the Kevin Durant Wizards are also dominating. Those are probably the favourites to win the whole thing. SebJr's Miami finished in third, a very good season! Same with Salt Bailly and the Pistons, though their recent form is merely middling (except their very recent form, which is pretty good again). Actually, there's a clear divide. All the top teams finished the season well, and all the bottom teams finished it poorly - with the exception of BenitoSTARR and Stobzilla II's Knicks. Unfortunately it was too little too late for this season. The same can be said for Dr. Dwayne, whose Cavaliers were at one point playoff hopefulls. At the very bottom of the Conference we have the Bucks with P-Nut and reelworld II, as well as the Raptors with Two-Nil. Good players who had good seasons, but on bad teams who had bad seasons.

Similarly to the last update, the West is all over the place. Lil' V.O. had a great end to the season. They will play the middling Grizzlies, with sontodevil and Solius who managed to fight their way into the last playoff spot. Those are actually the only Cafites with winning records since last update, as Samid and Pepper Bailly, with the Timberwolves and Kings respectively, had losing records to finish it out. altodevil's Lakers will miss out on the playoffs for the first time since 2004. Dan II's Suns couldn't keep up the promising start, and Nobbers' Spurs and The Cub and weetee's Thunder never really got going.

Playoff bracket

Regular Season League Leaders

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Ooof, just about made it. But we'll likely get spanked now.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not sure why I ever look at those stats, never on them :lol:

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Thought I‘m going to retire and leave my son to it entirely but no.1 in assists..@nimic any meaningful long term stat assist related I might be featured in? And I can play a season alongside my son, right?

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
Thought I‘m going to retire and leave my son to it but no.1 in assists..@nimic any meaningful long term stat assist related I might be featured in? And I can play a season alongside my son, right?
You can play at the same time yes, as you're ancient (almost 35).

You have the 4th most (regular season) assists of all time, behind John Stockton, V.O. and hobbers. Just ahead of Solius. You're about 500 behind hobbers and 400 ahead of Solius. You're probably like in the 40s for the playoffs - but with fewer games than anyone above you in the list except for V.O.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
hmm..then I keep rollin‘ just to make sure.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Don't even...

I might have to institute some limitations in player building after the second generation has had a go :lol:

Though interestingly Heine and weeweetee are quite different builds. And as we've already seen, the highest overall rating player doesn't actually always play the best.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Ok they've definitely cheated somehow. What the feck. 95??

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Don't even...

I might have to institute some limitations in player building after the second generation has had a go :lol:

Though interestingly Heine and weeweetee are quite different builds. And as we've already seen, the highest overall rating player doesn't actually always play the best.
Wtf. I need to redo my son.

Heine

Oh, how did I manage that?
Look out guys, the goat is arriving!

Last edited:

Heine

Looking at Weweetee someone should get 1st and 2nd and draft us both. Just need a rebounder :P My guy is a slasher going for the dunk, while Weeweetee is a stretch center (I like the 190 cm Center with 100 height)

That speed on breakaways as well, even though none of us can rebound to save our life

hobbers

Dont think it'd hurt to limit any individual starting stat to 75, except height.

Instead of forcing the game to deal with players who cant dribble or shoot or have no endurance.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Dont think it'd hurt to limit any individual starting stat to 75, except height.

Instead of forcing the game to deal with players who cant dribble or shoot or have no endurance.
Yeah, but that's not as fun. I think if I run a second one of these I'll definitely make some changes to player design though. Probably limit the amount of points you can put into the IQs, some other stuff. But it'd be a bit unfair to institute it now. It's also not entirely clear the craziest players are the best ones. Obviously altodevil made a monster, but he only won because he happened to get into a team which could take care of all the scoring for him.

I'm very interested to see how weeweetee will get on by being a center who can't rebound or score on the inside (or jump, or dribble, and is weak). I doubt he'll be gamebreaking no matter what happens. Heine's player is actually almost conventional, except 1 mid range and 1 rebounding. It's a nice spread except for that. No idea how the game decides the potential, except starts younger = higher potential. It also doesn't mean he'll actually get to 94. I think there's like a 25% chance a player will make at least their potential.

Hell, right now maybe the best Cafite (in some metrics, just not winning) is The Cub, and he's a pretty conventional Center, just a very good one.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Also to add, Pepper Bailly is doing really well, and his only "crazy" stats are 100 in offensive IQ and 100 in dribbling. Otherwise it's all between 21 and 66 - and his overall rating is 65, which is the 45th highest in the league. So I'm not too worried about crazy builds, unless sontodevil wins 5 rings in a row. If he does, I'll delete him.

Heine

I'm coaching handball normally and as it has quite some of the same demands as basketball I thought to make a player I would've loved to have on any of my teams. A really explosive player with great size. Then I added dunking (I thought that was the most "effective" way to score) and 3pt shooting (so that the defence can't just collapse on me). Then I had to drop something so that I could be ok+ in ball handling and IQ. That left no room for the other shots or rebounding :P

My first version had a lot less IQ but higher rebounding, but I hate coaching players without IQ, so had to get some...

2015 Playoffs - 1st Round New

nimic

something nice
Scout
2015 Playoffs 1st Round

Houston
Lil' V.O.: 0/2/0 (2blk) injured
Memphis
sontodevil: 8/14/6 (4stl/3blk)
Solius: 41/3/12 (1blk)
Utah
Minnesota
Samid: DNP
Dallas
Sacramento
Pepper Bailly: 24/10/5 (1stl/1blk)
Detroit
Salt Bailly: 6/2/0
Philadelphia
Miami
SebJr: 15/1/8
Brooklyn
Boston
hobbers: 17/4/13 (4stl/1blk) injured
Skizzo: DNP
Indiana

(Pepper Bailly's best teammate)

Houston
Lil' V.O.: 2/11/4 (1stl/blk) playing injured
Memphis
sontodevil: 6/22/15 (1stl/5blk)
Solius: 38/5/9 (1stl)
Utah
Minnesota
Samid: 5/0/0
Dallas
Sacramento
Pepper Bailly: 29/8/3 (1blk)
Detroit
Salt Bailly: 11/4/0 (injured)
Philadelphia
Miami
SebJr: 12/1/4
Brooklyn
Boston
hobbers: 18/3/9 (2stl)
Skizzo: 0/0/1
Indiana

Houston
Lil' V.O.: 8/5/0 (2blkl) playing injured
Memphis
sontodevil: 4/14/12 (3stl/4blk)
Solius: 54/4/9 (1stl)
Utah
Minnesota
Samid: 0/0/0 (1stl)
Dallas
Sacramento
Pepper Bailly: 20/4/4
Detroit
Salt Bailly: 9/3/0 playing injured
Philadelphia
Miami
SebJr: 9/1/3 (1stl)
Brooklyn
Boston
hobbers: 32/7/8 (2stl/1blk)
Indiana

Houston (LOSE)
Lil' V.O.: 1/6/1 (1stl/2blk) injured
Memphis (WIN)
sontodevil: 6/33/7 (1stl/9blk)
Solius: 42/5/4 (1stl/1blk)
Utah
Minnesota
Samid: 6/0/1
Dallas (WIN)
Sacramento (LOSE)
Pepper Bailly: 22/17/4 (3stl/1blk)
Detroit
Salt Bailly: 6/4/0 (1stl)
Philadelphia
Miami
SebJr: 4/0/7 (1stl)
Brooklyn
Boston (WIN)
hobbers: 31/8/13 (1stl)
Indiana (LOSE)

Utah
Minnesota
Samid: DNP
Detroit (WIN)
Salt Bailly: 3/3/2
Philadelphia (LOSE)
Miami
SebJr: 20/1/5
Brooklyn

Utah (WIN)
Minnesota (LOSE)
Samid: 8/1/0
Miami
SebJr: 17/3/5 (1blk)
Brooklyn

Miami (WIN)
SebJr: 11/1/7 (1stl/2blk)
Brooklyn (LOSE)

hobbers

Reached the point as a frail old goat that whenever I dont pass to Yi he beats me.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Shameful display.

Something as trivial as not actually playing the games never stopped big V.O.

hobbers

Shameful display.

Something as trivial as not actually playing the games never stopped big V.O.
Dangers of slashing your endurance from 60 to 30.

I actually ran a little test with just endurance and it definitely makes players peak sooner