Gaming The RedCafe NBA Simulation 17/18 | Season Preview Part 1 | Draft and Free Agency | Basketball GM | Join and become the next Kevin Durant

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not exactly the the list I'd like my team to be top of...

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
63 overall - that's still in the rotation right? Getting old now, so quite happy to cash those cheques and pick up free rings.

altodevil

Memphis looks like a decent team but they've stunted my sons growth

16/17 Season Preview - Part 2 New

nimic

something nice
Scout
16/17 Season Preview Part 2

@Stobzilla @BenitoSTARR @altodevil @Solius @hobbers @oneniltothearsenal @The Cat @reelworld @Heine @Salt Bailly

Stobzilla II & BenitoSTARR (33-49)

Stobzilla II is now the undisputed leader of the Knicks, though BenitoSTARR has been there longer than the rest of the starters combined. The 5x MVP is not the player he once was, though he's still got something left in him. At this point it's looking more and more likely that he'll end his career as a one-team man. The Knicks weren't particularly good last season, but maybe they have one more playoff run in them?

Salt Bailly & Pepper Bailly - Sacramento Kings (41-41)

Salt Bailly might have reached there point where he's almost unplayable, but it took 22 years in the league to get there. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he retires at the end of the season. His son won't retire, but it's unlikely he'll be in Sacramento much longer either, having an expiring contract and no apparent desire to stay. No doubt he feels he can do great things elsewhere. He's not wrong.

Nobbers, Heine, Sonius & altodevil - San Antonio Spurs (65-17, NBA Champions)

It's the champions! Can they repeat? It's not looking unlikely, given all the young stars improved. Nobbers is very close to becoming the best player in the league (at least on paper), while Heine and Sonius both appear set for superstar status on their own. The three have an average potential rating of 90. Average! Now, the way potential works in this game it's actually significantly more likely for a player not to reach their potential, but it doesn't mean nothing. altodevil is the outlier, both career and skill trajectory. We keep declaring his defensive prowess dead and buried, but it hasn't happened yet. Can he still be the rock in San Antonio?

The Cub & Dr. Dwayne - Oklahoma City Thunder (13-69)

Oh look, it's The Cub, one of the 5 best players in the NBA. His team? Let's not talk about it.

Two Nil - Toronto Raptors (36-36)

Is Two Nil finally taking the step into bonafide young superstar? He got a lot better over the summer, in all aspects of the game. I guess you don't need any speed to be a triple double machine, which is surely what he's becoming. He'll want to echo that aspect of his father's fantastic career, while hopefully avoiding the "never got close to a ring" part of it.

reelworld II - Milwaukee Bucks (30-52)

reelworld II had one of those early-career drops in ability, but it's very likely quickly reversed next season.Let's be honest, it's not like it's going to hurt his title chances. The Bucks aren't going anywhere, and they're going there fast. The positive aspect for our man is that contract runs out at the end of the season, and he's practically guaranteed to seek his fortunes elsewhere.

Solius - New Orleans Pelicans (16-66)

Solius, a 37 year old player, just improved where it matters. He's not winning any rings, but he's surely enjoying his twilight years in what basically amounts to a retirement home. They're not going to win a lot of games - god no - but surely Solius has won enough already? It's his son's time now.

Last edited:

Heine

Looks good, like that increase. Hopefully I will get a bigger offensive role this season. I aldo feel the increase in me, sonius and nobbers more than make up for altos decline.
And then we have the addition of Murray.

All in all er have a better team this year, still with an awesome defence

altodevil

Einstein = altodevil (the aging goat)
Oppenheimer = nimic
Runaway Nuclear Reaction destroying the world = San Antonio Dynasty with nobbers, sonius, heine

altodevil

And good luck paying both Heine and Sonius what they no doubt want in two years if they keep improving. It's possible, but the Spurs aren't the wealthiest franchise.
Bird rights no? They both expire the same year so can just pay them the max and go over the cap?

16/17 Season Preview - Part 3 New

nimic

something nice
Scout
16/17 Season Preview Part 3

@Skizzo @Dr. Dwayne @hobbers @weetee @V.O. @Dan @altodevil @sebsheep @P-Nut @BenitoSTARR

I forgot Dr. Dwayne in the last update, so I'll edit him into his update (I literally can't fit a single more picture into this one)

Skizzlet - Atlanta Hawks (49-33, 1st Round)

Skizzlet didn't quite make the draft, but he decided to jump straight into the league regardless - and the Hawks were happy to pick him up, if only for the season. His stats aren't quite there yet, but he's got the makings of a very well-rounded Center (as opposed to some of the freakshows we've been seeing). He also didn't get a chance to improve immediately, which is why he's still only 17. The Hawks might not be too bad a place for him, given they're quite decent already, and they don't have a lot of great Centers.

hobbers - Boston Celtics (2nd Round)

Old man hobbers just passed below 70 rating for the first time since he was 18. The crazy thing is that 69 still makes him a very good player. The Celtics are clearly second best to the Wizards at this point, but it wouldn't be too shocking if they managed to beat them in a series. Even after all this time, hobbers has a pretty well constructed team around him. None of this 3 Centers or 4 Point Guards nonsense that other teams have experimented with.

Dr. Junior - Cleveland Cavaliers (42-40, 1st Round)

His dad has had a pretty great career, but Dr. Junior is not going to settle for being second best in the Dr. family. He's already getting quite close to superstar status, and he will be hoping to build on the admittedly short playoff run from last year. Cleveland aren't completely useless, though I question the decision to sign so many Point Guards. At least our man is going to have a lot of service.

P-Nut & BenitwoSTARRLET - Denver Nuggets (29-53)

P-Nut has had a strange career. He was actually quite close to winning MVP several seasons in a row, and he's still performing at a very high level. He hasn't been particularly close to a championship, though. Then again, most players don't win rings. I wouldn't think the addition of rookie BenitwoSTARRLET is going to be quite enough to win one this year, but let's start by trying to make the playoffs again, eh?

weetee - Golden State Warriors (45-37, 2nd Round)

This might be the end of weetee, judging by the precipitous decline he suffered since last season. He's still getting some game time, and his Warriors have a decent chance of making the playoffs again. The West is strong, but any playoff run would be a nice way to end the two time champion's career.

Lil' V.O. & weeweetee - Houston Rockets (66-16, Conference Finals)

The Rockets have two superstars, a very strong starting 5 in general, and a load of decent players on the bench. If Washington and San Antonio didn't exist, I'd say they were nailed on champions. As it is, they still might be, but it'll be a hell of a fight between those three. They have a similar challenge to the Spurs, in that their two young superstars, Lil' V.O. and weeweetee, both have contract negotiations coming up. The salary cap is already well and truly broken, so what's next? Even more broken?

Dan II - Los Angeles Lakers (23-59)

Dan II is a strange young man. He's still not the brightest around, but due to some.. erm.. experimental gene therapy, a small amount of his free throw shooting ability has made way for some added brain power. Mind you, he was already improving quite a bit on that front. If he's lucky he might even get to play more than a single game this season.

sontodevil - Memphis Grizzlies (44-38, 1st Round)

sontodevil decided to sign a new contract with the Memphis Grizzlies this season. Maybe he sees a bright future ahead for himself and Kristaps Porzingis? Most of the rest of the team is well past their mid twenties, though Greg Oden is still a very competent player. They're probably not winning the league or anything, but there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to make the playoffs again.

SebJr - Miami Heat (49-33, Conference Finals)

The three last seasons, SebJr's Miami Heat have made the 1st Round, 2nd Round and then Conference Finals. Obviously that means they're going to make the Finals this season, and then win it next. Although it that is the plan, then they're going to have to get a move on. The team is still good on paper, and with potential to get even better next season. SebJr is doing his part on that front, at least.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
16/17 Season Preview Part 2

@Stobzilla @BenitoSTARR @altodevil @Solius @hobbers @oneniltothearsenal @The Cat @reelworld @Heine @Salt Bailly

Stobzilla II & BenitoSTARR (33-49)

Stobzilla II is now the undisputed leader of the Knicks, though BenitoSTARR has been there longer than the rest of the starters combined. The 5x MVP is not the player he once was, though he's still got something left in him. At this point it's looking more and more likely that he'll end his career as a one-team man. The Knicks weren't particularly good last season, but maybe they have one more playoff run in them?

Salt Bailly & Pepper Bailly - Sacramento Kings (41-41)

Salt Bailly might have reached there point where he's almost unplayable, but it took 22 years in the league to get there. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he retires at the end of the season. His son won't retire, but it's unlikely he'll be in Sacramento much longer either, having an expiring contract and no apparent desire to stay. No doubt he feels he can do great things elsewhere. He's not wrong.

Nobbers, Heine, Sonius & altodevil - San Antonio Spurs (65-17, NBA Champions)

It's the champions! Can they repeat? It's not looking unlikely, given all the young stars improved. Nobbers is very close to becoming the best player in the league (at least on paper), while Heine and Sonius both appear set for superstar status on their own. The three have an average potential rating of 90. Average! Now, the way potential works in this game it's actually significantly more likely for a player not to reach their potential, but it doesn't mean nothing. altodevil is the outlier, both career and skill trajectory. We keep declaring his defensive prowess dead and buried, but it hasn't happened yet. Can he still be the rock in San Antonio?

The Cub & Dr. Dwayne - Oklahoma City Thunder (13-69)

Oh look, it's The Cub, one of the 5 best players in the NBA. His team? Let's not talk about it.

Two Nil - Toronto Raptors (36-36)

Is Two Nil finally taking the step into bonafide young superstar? He got a lot better over the summer, in all aspects of the game. I guess you don't need any speed to be a triple double machine, which is surely what he's becoming. He'll want to echo that aspect of his father's fantastic career, while hopefully avoiding the "never got close to a ring" part of it.

reelworld II - Milwaukee Bucks (30-52)

reelworld II had one of those early-career drops in ability, but it's very likely quickly reversed next season.Let's be honest, it's not like it's going to hurt his title chances. The Bucks aren't going anywhere, and they're going there fast. The positive aspect for our man is that contract runs out at the end of the season, and he's practically guaranteed to seek his fortunes elsewhere.

Solius - New Orleans Pelicans (16-66)

Solius, a 37 year old player, just improved where it matters. He's not winning any rings, but he's surely enjoying his twilight years in what basically amounts to a retirement home. They're not going to win a lot of games - god no - but surely Solius has won enough already? It's his son's time now.
Wonder what made 37yo me suddenly get better at 3 pointers.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
The reason why Houston has outrageous ticket prices must be the outrageous wages we pay for decent players. lilVO and wwt play for free in comparison.

16/17 30-Game Update New

nimic

something nice
Scout
16/17 30-Game Update

@BenitoSTARR @Dan @Dr. Dwayne @P-Nut @Salt Bailly @Skizzo @Solius @Stobzilla @The Cat @V.O. @altodevil @hobbers @oneniltothearsenal @reelworld @sebsheep @weetee @Heine

We knew Miami would probably be worse, but bottom of the Conference?! There's still only 4 wins up to a playoff spot, but SebJr needs to help his team find their form soon. The same goes for reelworld II, though nobody has expected anything from the Bucks for a while now.

hobbers and the Celtics seem to have dropped off a bit, though their most recent form paints a different picture, perhaps. Two Nil and Dr. Junior will be very happy with their teams so far, while a bit further down Stobzilla II and BenitoSTARR are fighting to get back to the playoffs. 15-16 is a losing record, but it seems to be enough so far. The same goes double for Skizzlet and his Hawks. Their 4-game losing streak is not a great sign.

No surprises here. Lil' V.O. and weeweetee are fighting for a third straight 1-seed, though this time they will hope to take it all the way to the NBA Finals (and then win it, maybe?). Nobbers, Heine, Sonius and altodevil are spurring encouraging on the Spurs to take up the chase. Ultimately 1-seed or 2-seed doesn't matter if you're probably making the Conference Final anyway, but it would taste good, I'm sure.

Unlike the East, there is a very clear divide between playoff and non-playoff teams in the West - at least so far. sontodevil and weetee's Grizzlies and Warriors may "only" be 6th and 7th, but they're clearly better than the teams below the line. The same can be said for the Nuggets, but P-Nut and BenitwoSTARRLET can't take a break quite yet.

At the bottom we have three Caf-teams with 9 wins. It's not quite over as far as playoffs go, but it's close. Solius and Dan II may not have expected more from the Pelicans and the Lakers, respectively, but I am sure Salt Bailly and his son Pepper Bailly hoped for more. They ended last season 41-41, barely missing the playoffs, but now they're below teams that finished with 13, 16 and 23 wins. Just ahead of those we have The Cub and Dr. Dwayne's Thunder. 12-19 might not seem like much, but they had 13 wins last season. The whole season.

Player stats

Notable trades

Last edited:

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Wouldn't mind Golden State dropping to 8th if that'd mean a father-son duel in the play-offs.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
@nimic since the experiment started: how often did the title go to the west? Think it was Chicago once or twice, Washington once and then Benito's NY crew and that's it, so like about 5times to the East and the rest to the West?

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
6 to the East. 76ers won one, as did the Nets with V.O.
So how's the tally in total? 16-6? Heavily one-sided, especially since it does look to stay that way for a while.