The Millennium Draft: R1 - Stobzilla vs Pat_Mustard

With players at their peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Stobzilla

3DjYARU.png

Pat_Mustard

Millenium-Draft.png

Stobzilla Tactics

Win!

Pat_Mustard Tactics

Formation: Diamond/narrow 4-4-2. Drop back and defend deep out of possession, and play predominantly on the counter-attack. I couldn't resist the aesthetics of lining up in the diamond, and we will use that shape in phases, but with the opposition looking pretty strong on the wings with the likes of Dani Alves and Overmars, we'll frequently revert to 2 banks of 4 in the defensive phase. Basic formation in a protracted defensive phase is spoilered below, with the team obviously squeezing towards the ball side:

Millenium-Defensive.png

• The most notable feature of the team is that it's predominantly, maybe even overwhelmingly, filled with cnuts. It's only fitting that we'll take a leaf out of the Simeone handbook and encourage them to deploy the dark arts to frustrate the opposition - tactical fouls, diving, time-wasting and harassing the referee are all fair game and actively encouraged. Although in an ideal world Suarez will refrain from biting anyone.
  • In keeping with the emphasis on the unsexy, with the CBs, Rodri and Ballack, we should be exceptional on both offensive and defensive set pieces.
  • Varane's sweeper-ish style of defending and recovery pace will complement Terry well, and Koke and Mendieta's diligence and defensive capabilities should mitigate against the defensive vulnerabilities of the FBs. Conversely, both Hakimi and Hernandez are superb outlets on the counter with their blistering pace and ball-carrying ability.
  • The midfield is probably the most tactically significant component of the team. All four players are positionally versatile, outstandingly well-rounded, and as a unit capable of adjusting their shape and functions in-game. Their attacking productivity can't be faulted either - 25 goals and assists in 58 matches from Koke in his most prolific season, 25 in 45 from Mendieta, 36 in 50 from Ballack (in a similar role at the tip of a diamond for Leverkusen from memory?), 23 in 50 from Rodri. Rodri, admittedly, will have to play more conservatively here, given the attacking tendencies of his partners, the absence of a Stones to step into DM, and of course the opposition's immense midfield.
  • The front two have the quality to decide any match on their own, and Suarez seems a fine foil as a line-leader to create space for Mbappe. Mbappe is given licence to cheat in his defensive work and position himself to maximise his threat on the counter, with Suarez pressing like a maniac to compensate. With the other 9 outfielders having brilliant workrate, we feel we can accomodate one lazy genius in Mbappe.

Two good sides. Leaning towards Pat due to the front 2. Stobz will definitely have more of the ball but I'm not sure Pires and Zlatan are players Xavi would really enjoy playing with especially with Zlatan's individualism.

More or less agree with Physio. Stob's front three doesn't quite work for me, in a vacuum or with the rest of the team. Also prefer Pat's CB pairing and keeper.

whats the logic with barca theme and their flop signings?

I wouldn't call any of them flops, to be honest, Sanchez was great for them, Zlatan less so, but still, his record was good for his season there, it was only moving Leo infield that made it difficult for him long-term term, but it is hard to argue that was an incorrect move. Just wasn't to be, he has been colossal everywhere else.

Pat best team I've seen so far. He doesn't win the midfield battle here, but I think gets the result.