The Millennium Draft - R1: Ralaks vs NoPace

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Ralaks

1MWkRQjl.png

NoPace

skhQ77W.png

Ralaks Tactics

I'll start the game in a 5-3-2, however it is a quite fluid tactic and I can transition into a 4-4-2 diamond (Ancelotti's Milan) quite easily by pushing Martinez up having him play the distributor role.

The core of the defensive quartet is made up of Puyol and Marquez who know each other well, playing 189 games together winning 4 titles and 2 UCL together. Martinez will use his intelligence and awareness to function similar to a libero being mainly positioned in defense, but allowed to push up with the ball, being both natural at centre back and as a defensive midfielder with a great passing range, this will suit him well. Roberto Carlos and Maicon - probably two of the most complete wing backs of the drafts looking at peak period. They will provide the width and creativity whilst still being fine defensively.

In midfield there is a great balance between Seedorf, Kimmich and Kaka. Kimmich and Seedorf will work as a double pivot behind Kaka. Both will supplement each other well, Seedorf with his box-2-box presence and great athleticism will contribute very well at both ends. Kimmich will be more withdrawn, utilizing his great ability to read the game, shield the backline and dictate the play from deep. Kaka will be the link between the two behind him and the two in front of him. The last Ballon d'or winner before the two freaks of nature came along, allowed to roam as he wants. Maybe blew away too early, but who cares when it is the peak which matters, where he was insanely good. Very good understanding with Seedorf playing 229 games together during their succesfull time at Milan in the 00s. Cracking shot (akward volleys, long shots, you name it), great dribbler and passer. The midfield three is also very capable of handling the transition into a midfield diamond, with Seedorf and Kaka both having experienced great success together.

Up front a duo of the Premier Leagues finest complementing each other perfectly. Van Persie, one of the best left footed finishers ever (at the very least in the PL), intelligent on the ball as well as off it. Can help with the creative part of the equation equally as he can finish it. Drogba, powerful, strong, can hold off any defender to invite Kaka and Van Persie on the ball. Similar to Van Persie's unique left foot, Drogba gives an aerial presence few do, without discounting his clinical finishing. Roberto Carlos & Maicon will relish having him as a target in the box.

NoPace Tactics

-Balanced team, but in likely a fairly counter-attacking side against strong possession teams in this tournament.
-Likely to build up more on the left with Alaba and Di Maria and Kroos slightly favoring the left and my right-side being far more direct and involved in counters (Bale-Ivanovic) when Kroos or others switch the play. Ramos comfortable moving right and Alaba comfortable tucking in a 3rd CB type lock downs that side defensively.

Attack:
Strength of the attack is Haaland's goalscoring supplied by Di Maria (3rd all time in CL assists after Cristiano and Messi), Lampard (5th all time in Prem Assists) and Kroos's passing, complimented by Bale's individual explosiveness on the right. It's not a collection of individuals struggling to form a coherent attack as Lampard and Di Maria were committed 2-way players in their primes who help in the midfield, with Di Maria focused on providing assists for the other 3 attacker and Lampard an expert at late runs that benefit from the attention Haaland's size and speed demand.

Set pieces should be a real strength with Haaland, Ramos, Bale and Ivanovic all proper aerial threats and Kroos' consistent delivery (and Di Maria as a left-footed option).

Midfield:
Midfield pairing is a classic passer and possession setter in Kroos complimented by a rabid dog in Gattuso (who has a Pirlo replacement here in Kroos he should feel comfortable working with), and Di Maria and Lampard well qualified (Di Maria's MOTM performance in the 2014 CL final in a midfield 3 showing his quality in that regard, Lampard part of one of the greatest defensive sides of all time in Mourinho's first Chelsea run) to contribute heavily defensively from their attacking midfield positions.

Defence:
Alaba was often regarded as the best LB in the world for many years in the 2010s and is now an excellent LCB who was always very strong in the air for a fullback.
Ramos was a massive game player for Madrid (4 CLs) and Spain (WC, 2 Euros) and is the sort of athletic partner who would fit nicely with Kompany (who carried Lescott into being the tied for 4th stingiest Prem CB pairing of all time, and the only other CB of the 10 in that gorup who wouldn't belong in this draft is Kolo Toure so congrats to the Sol Campbell drafter. The rest are Vidic, Ferdinand, Carvalho, Terry, Adams and Keown. Lescott doesn't belong here but Kompany carried him). Both CBs very comfortable on the ball, along with Alaba.
Ivanovic made the PFA XI 3 times and is strong at the back post and provides another defender happy to defend deep. I think the right tricky, low hipped and agile winger could give him trouble (so I drafted Sagna who was expert in that regard and made the PFA XI twice on the strength of his defending) but Ralak's hasn't got that.
Oblak has been a fantastic keeper who commands his area and won't be asked to play too much here as Bale and Haaland benefit from a direct style anyways.

Ralaks game specific:
-I confess I'm not entirely sure what his formation or starting XI will be, but in any case I think Haaland's size and speed make him a difficult physical matchup for any of Marquez, Javi Martinez and Puyol, particularly if he plays a higher line
-Drogba seems to have gone scoreless in 7 starts against Kompany for City.
-Will switch the wingers to have Bale go up against Maicon in the last 15-20 minutes of each half as he famously terrorized him as the games got deeper when they matched up in Maicon's prime.
-Ralaks' lack of wingers should make things easier for Ivanovic to do what he does best defensively. His wingbacks also have to worry about Di Maria getting a bit of space to set up Haaland, Bale or Lampard and Bale's sheer athleticism, and they've got rock-solid fullbacks when they get higher up and strong CBs to deal with any deliveries.
-Gattuso's job is to contain Kaka.
-I've got more goals in my team and a much stronger (defensively speaking, his fullbacks and Marquez excellent going forward no point in denying it) back 4 and I think along with a balanced midfield and proper wingers that should be enough to mean that my team is strong defensively and a serious threat on the counter when Ralaks is in possession. Strong set piece advantage in terms of aerial ability is an advantage in both penalty boxes.

Good luck mate, I think it's hard to find easy targets in your team, maybe Ivanovic being somewhat not so agile is an option to exploit for Carlos & Kaka combing to overload him. I also believe my midfield is superior, especially if Marquez & Puyol manage to hold their own against Haaland, and Martinez then can contribute and overload it. Of course not taking any credit away from yours they are all great, and did consider going Gattuso at some point to bulid more on the Milan squad, but I feel only Kroos would be within the discussion to go into my team, and even then I think I'd still prefer Kimmich for the defensive work rate and Seedorf for the steel, but of course I am biased here.

Gattuso and Kaká will also be a interesting battle, them knowing each other from training and playing over 200 games together, but I'd still wager Kaká to come out on top, he is just so good. Gattuso, whilst good, is not among the top defensive midfielders at his peak similar to Kaká could be argued is for attacking midfielders. I tried to look for games against each other, but could not find any where they were on the pitch against each other, only two games I could find where they were in the match squad was an international friendly and a CL game the fall Kaká left for Real, however Gattuso were on the bench both games, so if this was a tactical decision or he had some knock I don't know.

Marquez will also be instructed, together with Kimmich to provide extra care in making sure Maicon is not isolated against Bale when you switch side (who I must say, is interesting to face given the historic game between them)!

The set piece battle will also be interesting, both teams have great options there.

Good luck!

Undecided at the moment but Kroos out to either winger on the counter looks like a route to goal for me

Ralaks's side looks mostly complete even if it may not have as many big names as NoPace's. Kaká looks like he'll thrive in this match.

Ralaks's side looks mostly complete even if it may not have as many big names as NoPace's. Kaká looks like he'll thrive in this match.

Was Kaka noticeably better when he essentially played second-striker rather than 10 at Milan? I don't remember.

Was Kaka noticeably better when he essentially played second-striker rather than 10 at Milan? I don't remember.
He thrived in both roles though even I'm not 100% certain on where he was at his best. With that said, I doubt that his contribution will noticeably differ depending on the role. When Shevchenko was still at Milan, Kaká played as more of a #10. When Sheva left, Kaká became more of a second striker though still played as a #10 on a good number of occasions.

With forwards like Drogba and van Persie, both of who were good at playing their teammates into goalscoring positions like Sheva did, I can see Kaká really doing well here.

He thrived in both roles though even I'm not 100% certain on where he was at his best. With that said, I doubt that his contribution will noticeably differ depending on the role. When Shevchenko was still at Milan, Kaká played as more of a #10. When Sheva left, Kaká became more of a second striker though still played as a #10 on a good number of occasions.

With forwards like Drogba and van Persie, both of who were good at playing their teammates into goalscoring positions like Sheva did, I can see Kaká really doing well here.

Yeah, he'll love it here. RVP and Drogba isn't too dissimilar to the Sheva-Crespo front two he played behind.

why puyol on the left? also think marquez like martinez should be in the middle.

Now that I know Ralaks has a 3-5-2, I think there's real problems out wide for the CBs.

Puyol on the left is new for him and Marquez in space against Di Maria is a huge speed mismatch. When Maicon or Roberto Carlos go forward I still have my fullbacks to deal with them (Kompany and Ramos on RVP and Drogba, Gattuso on Kaka, Seedorf on Kroos, Lampard on Kimmich so the numbers are even) and then it's Haaland vs Javi Martinez, Bale vs Puyol and Di Maria vs Marquez. All 3 are proper pace mismatches, particularly the latter. I think that means chances for Bale to shoot and Di Maria finding space on the left to play in Haaland for his usual predatory work in the box.

Undecided at the moment but Kroos out to either winger on the counter looks like a route to goal for me

Yeah, I think Ralaks end up either having his fullbacks pinned back or more likely, they look to attack and his CBs are dragged out wide. 3 at the back vs 1 striker can get you in trouble (why some coaches (I want to say Bielsa for Chile?) refused to allow it and would switch immediately to always have a spare man but play a back 4 against one striker).

It's setup well for Di Maria to be the primary creative figure in this game and Haaland/Bale/Lampard all excellent finishers to profit from that.

Good luck mate...
Not quoting the long post above, people can read it.

Agreed on Kaka being trouble for Gattuso. Kaka was fantastic at his peak. They never played, but Kaka was trouble for anyone at his peak, won't deny that.

Disagree on set pieces, I think Ramos, Haaland, Bale, Kompany and Ivanovic would be real trouble for Drogba, the shorter Puyol, Martinez, Marquez and I guess Van Persie or Maicon (decent height for a fullback actually, but I don't remember him being great in the air).

Kroos over Kimmich for me.

I feel like Lampard is being ignored completely here, but he was runner up for the Ballon D'or for a reason. He's a serious part of the midfield battle when he's a #10 and with 3 CBs he should be able to make his patented late runs here when the CBs retreat to deal with the pace of Haaland, Bale and Di Maria.

Not quoting the long post above, people can read it.

Agreed on Kaka being trouble for Gattuso. Kaka was fantastic at his peak. They never played, but Kaka was trouble for anyone at his peak, won't deny that.

Disagree on set pieces, I think Ramos, Haaland, Bale, Kompany and Ivanovic would be real trouble for Drogba, the shorter Puyol, Martinez, Marquez and I guess Van Persie or Maicon (decent height for a fullback actually, but I don't remember him being great in the air).

Kroos over Kimmich for me.

I feel like Lampard is being ignored completely here, but he was runner up for the Ballon D'or for a reason. He's a serious part of the midfield battle when he's a #10 and with 3 CBs he should be able to make his patented late runs here when the CBs retreat to deal with the pace of Haaland, Bale and Di Maria.

I didn't mean to discredit Lampard at all, was also one of my top picks for the box-2-box role but never really figured a way to incorporate him after my first handful of picks, definitely a serious threat, but I think the defensive trio and hard working midfielders can keep him contained to a few chances over all, where Saint Iker will do the rest

why puyol on the left? also think marquez like martinez should be in the midd

Yeah Puyol should have been on the right. Consider him moved there, for some reason I had him there whilst drafting and didn't think about it till you noted it.

You would swap Marquez and have him be the one allowed to roam into midfield rather than Martinez?

@Ralaks congrats. If you get to take a player, I'd probably go with Alaba as he provides the most balance to your back 3. Drop Javi and play Marquez in his proper role at the center of the 3 stepping up into midfield with Puyol on the right. But I lost, so maybe don't take my advice, as I seem to disagree with the majority here on quite a bit, so maybe just Ramos for the big name and aerial help?

@Ralaks congrats. If you get to take a player, I'd probably go with Alaba as he provides the most balance to your back 3. Drop Javi and play Marquez in his proper role at the center of the 3 stepping up into midfield with Puyol on the right. But I lost, so maybe don't take my advice, as I seem to disagree with the majority here on quite a bit, so maybe just Ramos for the big name and aerial help?

Thanks! I like the idea of a left footed centre back. Ramos I had last draft and it felt like many didn't really rate him so unsure, but cheers. Also I am not sure about which formation to keep in. Originally also had 4-4-2 diamond with De Rossi (who I got a soft spot for) as B2B and Kimmich deeper, but it was hard to choose.

Yeah Puyol should have been on the right. Consider him moved there, for some reason I had him there whilst drafting and didn't think about it till you noted it.

You would swap Marquez and have him be the one allowed to roam into midfield rather than Martinez?

id pick just one out of the two :D
considering azpi(no surprises there, underrated as feck) went unpicked and he is one of the best all time for the side cb role...obviously once you go past the Gods(maldini, thuram etc.).