The Millennium Draft - R1: Mazhar vs Michaelf7

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Mazhar

43zIPZB.png

Michaef7

T1dJOoN.jpeg

Mazhar Tactics
  • Shape: 4-1-2-1-2 diamond (inspired by Ancelotti's AC Milan)
  • System: transition-based, counter attacking football
    • Play the ball forward quickly into space to Totti with support coming from Marchisio
    • Utilise Xabi Alonso's passing range and vision to play in behind the opposition back line
    • Look to play Villa and Eto'o in behind the back line early
    • Villa/Eto'o can drift wider to stretch the back line and then play Totti/Marchisio into a goalscoring opportunity
    • In possession, the full backs will push up to offer width with Totti and the forwards roaming to keep the opposition full backs on their toes
The team's set up to get the most out of Totti as well as the front 2 of Villa and Eto'o. In respect of Michael's great side with the quality of players at his disposal, my team will look to draw the opposition in and then exploit the gaps in behind on the break. With the midfield that Michael has, the best way to beat him is to isolate the players into 1-on-1 battles against Totti and use his incredible ability on the ball to beat them on the dribble and advance up the pitch. The centre-back partnership of Lúcio and Samuel is formidable as proven by Inter's 2009/10 treble success, but they will be stretched when they need to cover for TAA on the right and Davies/whoever else may be lined up at left back. To compensate for their wing backs pushing up, I have full backs who are great at absorbing the pressure and defending the wide areas in Carvajal and Chivu, whilst the midfield consists of absolute workhorses and tactically astute players who can plug the gaps and support their defenders in the channels. This way, when we do get on the ball, we can utilise Xabi Alonso's passing range and vision as well as Totti's incredible creativity to open up the back line and create several goalscoring opportunities for both Villa and Eto'o. In such a setup, Villa and Eto'o will be the key as their wide array of skills and overall attacking versatility make them great in this fluid diamond setup. Totti will thrive as he'll be given the support from such a hardworking front 2 and vice versa as these lethal goalscorers will be constantly supplied. Finally, Marchisio will play a part with his intelligence and hardworking nature as he'll constantly be on the move and keep the opposition on their toes.

Almost every player in my lineup can play in this sort of a system. Even Villa thrived when playing for Simeone's Atletico Madrid despite his old age. Valdés, as the odd one out, was more known for his ability on the ball, but he was still an incredible shot-stopper when called upon. Regardless, if we are being pressed, then I have full faith in Valdés in seeing out the pressure and playing one of the midfielders/Totti into space. If any of our players get fouled, then we have the likes of Xabi Alonso and Totti to put in incredible deliveries into the box or potentially go direct (Villa was also great at free kicks during his career). Overall, the team is set up with a familiar system for the players that will play to their strengths.

Michaelf7 Tactics

My team will play a 4-2-3-1 formation with Giggs as a more traditional winger on the left with Cavani as an inside forward on the right ahead of Alexander-Arnold. While this is a recent players draft and i feel like most of my players are well known I'd like to highlight a couple of things I learned from this draft:

• Crespo's goalscoring numbers for a player based in late 1990's, early 2000's Serie A are very good. His season goalscoring numbers from 98/99 through to the 01/02 season are 28 in 45; 27 in 43; 28 in 40; and 20 in 33 (the first 2 seasons with Parma and the later 2 with Inter Milan).
  • Walter Samuel's defensive pedigree being higher than remembered being included in the European Soccer Monthly Team of the Season in 01/02 and 03/04 after being included in the South American Team of the Year in 1999. Later on he was nominated for the FIFA FIFPro in 2005 (the first year the team was chosen), 2009 and 2010; and being named Serie A defender of the year in 2010. In my team he resumes his treble winning partnership with Lucio which was described on an Inter Milan community as follows:
They were something to see, these two. Rough looking, tough in their style of play, but capable of finesse. As in most centre back duo, there was the Tank (Samuel), a great defender, strong in the air and on the ground, intercepting and doing the dirty work; and there was Lúcio, good with the ball at his feet, capable of dribbling and accurately passing from the back, and doing most of the job that Samuel could do also.
Source

@mazhar13

I like your overall side especially the front 3 however I'm not sure Chivu is the best for this role. From memory he was more a DM or ball-playing CB who didn't have great athleticism. Someone like Candela would have made more sense IMO

if mazhar had a better keeper id pull the trigger right away, mike lucky with the draw as trent would probably get away with it in this game....

@mazhar13

I like your overall side especially the front 3 however I'm not sure Chivu is the best for this role. From memory he was more a DM or ball-playing CB who didn't have great athleticism. Someone like Candela would have made more sense IMO
I needed someone who was defensively adept to deal with the threat that Michael's attack offered. In terms of his athleticism, much of that was lost after his terrible injury during his time at Inter; since then, he became a more reserved, defensive player, but I consider his peak to be his Roma and early Inter years when he was getting linked to both Real Madrid and Barcelona. In those days, he was a terrific foil for Totti to work off of, and that's why I have him in the lineup ahead of Srna, who wouldn't have been as defensively good.

I needed someone who was defensively adept to deal with the threat that Michael's attack offered. In terms of his athleticism, much of that was lost after his terrible injury during his time at Inter; since then, he became a more reserved, defensive player, but I consider his peak to be his Roma and early Inter years when he was getting linked to both Real Madrid and Barcelona. In those days, he was a terrific foil for Totti to work off of, and that's why I have him in the lineup ahead of Srna, who wouldn't have been as defensively good.
Trent has the same exact problem against my side as he does against United. Just like Rashford against him, he'll have to worry about Villa exploiting the gap behind him, and Villa was no slouch. Totti also liked to roam to the flanks, and I can see him exploiting those gaps on the left as well on the break. Simply put, Lúcio has too much to deal with here.

As much as I like Phonzie, defending isn't his strongest suit. If I had a winger to 1-on-1 against him, he'd fare better with his athleticism. Here, however, he has no dedicated player to go against. Both Eto'o and Marchisio will cause lots of problems for Phonzie with their movements and astute positioning. If Zé Roberto goes out to the left to help Phonzie, then that'll leave more space for Totti to thrive in. There's way too much for the back line and defensive midfield to deal with, and that'll cause them to drop deeper and lose control of the match.

That makes sense. I just don't remember Chivu being particularly athletic at Ajax but I can see the defensive reasoning.

I'm surprised by the lack of activity in this thread considering the sides that are facing each other. GG @Michaelf7777777. I'd have thought that your team would get more votes given how good it was. It sucks that we had to face off against each other this soon.