The Millennium Draft - R1: General vs Himannv

With players at their peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
General

464152592_1300347187670446_4898198546282585196_n.jpg

Himmanv

uvVkqcf.png

General Tactics

I intend to employ a counter-attacking system blended with selective possession. I believe my team requires little explanation; it operates like a well-tuned orchestra, with perfectly harmonious combinations or synergistic partnerships throughout. I envision a mid-block defensive structure as a safeguard against the opposition's exceptionally dangerous speedsters, who pose a high-level threat.

In the defensive phase, my team will shift into a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 shape, compact and disciplined. Upon entering our own half, we will apply swift, aggressive pressure to disrupt the opposition’s rhythm and make their build-up play as uncomfortable as possible.

As for the attacking phase, I need hardly elaborate. The pattern of play is well-known, characterised by its free-flowing nature, high velocity, and directness. The linchpin of this system is Benzema, whose intelligent link-up play and ability to bring others into the game will be crucial. The midfield trio of Sneijder, Gerrard, and Modric possesses all the necessary qualities—vision, control, and, not least, the ability to unleash long-range strikes that will certainly trouble Ter Stegen.

In terms of build-up play, my centre-backs are highly skilled, allowing us to progress the ball confidently from the back. Every player on this team has extensive experience with this style, so there is no concern on that front. Ultimately, I have faith in the collective experience and tactical acumen of this side, and I remain untroubled by the challenge ahead.

The last one: Bernardo Rezende( legendary volleyball coach) once said The (volleyball) player is not a soloist, but a member of an orchestra. When that player begins to think, 'Im special,' (The player) is finished. This phase is excellent and for this team it changes from volleyball players to football players.

Himannv Tactics

Formation: 4-3-3

Tactics:

• This is very much a Pep team with an option to also be more direct in attack if we win the ball when the opposition are out of position.
  • Players have mostly played in modern systems that are similar to how this team is set up to play.

Strong teams. Himannv looks particularly clean in terms of build, although I'm unsure of Chiellini's fit and pedigree in a higher-line Pep system. General's attack could be devastating if it clicks, but there might be an issue with Gerrard, Sneijder and Benzema all jostling for influence in the #10 zone? Not sure how to vote at this point.

Strong teams. Himannv looks particularly clean in terms of build, although I'm unsure of Chiellini's fit and pedigree in a higher-line Pep system. General's attack could be devastating if it clicks, but there might be an issue with Gerrard, Sneijder and Benzema all jostling for influence in the #10 zone? Not sure how to vote at this point.
Thank you for your comment, Mr. Mustard. I would like to emphasize that the chances of this issue arising are exceedingly slim if we look at the real-life statistics of player overlaps. Gerrard, for instance, played in a variety of roles, including attacking midfielder, box-to-box midfielder, and even as a holding midfielder. If we examine his heat map from the 2006/07 UEFA Champions League on Sofascore, it is evident that his heat map reflects a box-to-box role on the right side of the pitch. His primary responsibility was to shuttle up and down the flank, providing cover for the full-back when necessary.

I view Gerrard as a midfielder with the ability to dictate the game, and with Mascherano stationed behind him, he has the freedom to push forward—either to create chances or engage in combination play with the full-back—or make runs into the right half-space. He is not the general playmaker of the team but rather assumes the role of a dynamic box-to-box midfielder, which he has already demonstrated in real life.

As for Sneijder, he is the team’s playmaker, the orchestrator of the attack. He enjoys the freedom to roam across the pitch, though he typically favors the left side. He is not a playmaker driven by a desire to score goals, which is why I do not foresee much overlap with Benzema. Furthermore, Sneijder is highly suited to a counter-attacking system.

Turning to Benzema, I would describe him as the link between Sneijder and Torres, although his role remains that of a forward. Benzema has a well-known habit of dropping into the left half-space in the final third to collect the ball—this is common knowledge. Yet, he also consistently makes runs into the box, either to score or to support a more goal-hungry striker like Torres. This dynamic is similar to the one he had with Ronaldo, albeit with differences in positioning.

Regarding the difference between Sneijder and Benzema in receiving the ball on the left flank: Sneijder is heavily fixated on the left half-space, far more so than Benzema, who tends to receive the ball in wider areas, almost like a left-winger. I consider this ideal for my team, as we do not have a true left-winger.

On the contrary, I believe this combination play could be highly dangerous. With positional interchanges, overloads, and one-twos, the quick passing between the players—using a relational style of play—would be incredibly effective. Additionally, the overlapping runs of the full-backs would add to the threat, making this attacking approach extremely potent. Frimpong is going to face an extraordinarily difficult challenge, particularly when it comes to dealing with the unpredictability and movement on the left flank. I wouldn't say he(Frimpong) can't do his jobs(defending), but I'm sure he will face some difficult challenges here.

Will show their heatmaps in real life later, thanks

Thank you for your comment, Mr. Mustard. I would like to emphasize that the chances of this issue arising are exceedingly slim if we look at the real-life statistics of player overlaps. Gerrard, for instance, played in a variety of roles, including attacking midfielder, box-to-box midfielder, and even as a holding midfielder. If we examine his heat map from the 2006/07 UEFA Champions League on Sofascore, it is evident that his heat map reflects a box-to-box role on the right side of the pitch. His primary responsibility was to shuttle up and down the flank, providing cover for the full-back when necessary.

I view Gerrard as a midfielder with the ability to dictate the game, and with Mascherano stationed behind him, he has the freedom to push forward—either to create chances or engage in combination play with the full-back—or make runs into the right half-space. He is not the general playmaker of the team but rather assumes the role of a dynamic box-to-box midfielder, which he has already demonstrated in real life.

As for Sneijder, he is the team’s playmaker, the orchestrator of the attack. He enjoys the freedom to roam across the pitch, though he typically favors the left side. He is not a playmaker driven by a desire to score goals, which is why I do not foresee much overlap with Benzema. Furthermore, Sneijder is highly suited to a counter-attacking system.

Turning to Benzema, I would describe him as the link between Sneijder and Torres, although his role remains that of a forward. Benzema has a well-known habit of dropping into the left half-space in the final third to collect the ball—this is common knowledge. Yet, he also consistently makes runs into the box, either to score or to support a more goal-hungry striker like Torres. This dynamic is similar to the one he had with Ronaldo, albeit with differences in positioning.

Regarding the difference between Sneijder and Benzema in receiving the ball on the left flank: Sneijder is heavily fixated on the left half-space, far more so than Benzema, who tends to receive the ball in wider areas, almost like a left-winger. I consider this ideal for my team, as we do not have a true left-winger.

On the contrary, I believe this combination play could be highly dangerous. With positional interchanges, overloads, and one-twos, the quick passing between the players—using a relational style of play—would be incredibly effective. Additionally, the overlapping runs of the full-backs would add to the threat, making this attacking approach extremely potent. Frimpong is going to face an extraordinarily difficult challenge, particularly when it comes to dealing with the unpredictability and movement on the left flank. I wouldn't say he(Frimpong) can't do his jobs(defending), but I'm sure he will face some difficult challenges here.

Will show their heatmaps in real life later, thanks

Great answer as always General :). I probably shouldn't have mentioned Benz as his movement and interplay is so intelligent and selfless that he'll dovetail well with all of them. Sneijder and Gerrard was the primary concern but you've addressed that quite convincingly by pointing out that they're orientated towards different channels of the pitch. I do like the basic idea of Gerrard on the right of a diamond and I've picked him there before myself, and I think Mascherano is a great fit at the base of that midfield.

I really like Himann's team, but unfortunately for him, he's come up against a team that counters his setup. Schweini liked to step up and win the ball, so I can see there being lots of gaps at the back to be exploited, especially with General's team playing on the counter.

464094040_1300976807607484_8244532062398441288_n.jpg

Gerrard's heat map in UCL 06/07

464085587_1300976834274148_6765039033755674354_n.jpg

Gerrard's heat map in UCL 04/05

464101923_1300976890940809_5828823041862271533_n.jpg

Benzema's heat map in UCL21/22

464132279_1300976914274140_6463246212599312157_n.jpg

Wesley's heat map in UCL 09/10

464112404_1300981720940326_1590854641516321846_n.jpg

Torres's heat map in Euro 2008

Gerrard is capable of moving up and down the right flank and covering the full-back position, as previously mentioned(Edgar). Meanwhile, Wesley and Karim will play significant roles on the left side, as I noted earlier. As for Torres in Euro 2008, he played as a right-sided forward, according to the heat map, and he was a striker with a scoring-oriented mindset. Karim knows how to play alongside a forward of this type, and everyone is well aware of his ability.