The Hurricane Thread | Hurricane Francine

I'm home and have power. I want to thank every single person that offered me and my family shelter. This place is more than a forum it's absolutely magic.
Thanks to the staff for letting me back in to the current event forum.

If you need to kick me back out now's the time. I love you all you great bunch:D.

8 elderly die in a care center after they lost power. Sounds like heat got to them. Feck. We've got to be able to do better.

heard the place is now under investigation for the deaths. Places like that should be required by law to have generators and should be first in line to get emergency gas supplies to run them.

One thing I think I remember correctly from when I first started reading about climate change (and folks can correct me if I'm wrong) was that it wouldn't really lead to us having 1 season, but would make weather events more severe more often.

Could this be that theory coming to fruition?

One thing I think I remember correctly from when I first started reading about climate change (and folks can correct me if I'm wrong) was that it wouldn't really lead to us having 1 season, but would make weather events more severe more often.

Warmer water stronger storms once formed.

Yes. And one thing often overlooked with warming temperatures is the water vapor level, which leads to more extreme events related to weather.

It's one of the most important feedback cycles together with the more commented upon melting ice sheets in the Arctic regions.

Yes. And one thing often overlooked with warming temperatures is the water vapor level, which leads to more extreme events related to weather.

It's one of the most important feedback cycles together with the more commented upon melting ice sheets in the Arctic regions.
I'd imagine the increased water vapor levels would be expressed as well in snowfall in the winter then. Correct?

Which I imagine would be used counterintuitively by deniers

I'd imagine the increased water vapor levels would be expressed as well in snowfall in the winter then. Correct?

Which I imagine would be used counterintuitively by deniers
Yes. Changes in air mass trends leading to cold fronts hitting large volumes of water-laden air to the south, whilst simultaneously depriving other areas of expected precipitation. It all goes hand-in-hand.

Feck. I've been to the Dominican Republic, such a beautiful country and amazingly beautiful people. Damn, this surely must be one of the worst hurricane seasons on record. I can't remember so many different places getting hit so hard and by such destructive hurricanes.

It's saddening and maddening that small humble islands will take the brunt for our gluttony in the coming decades. I can't imagine what it is like to be in one of their homes when a Cat5 comes through.

It's saddening and maddening that small humble islands will take the brunt for our gluttony in the coming decades. I can't imagine what it is like to be in one of their homes when a Cat5 comes through.
Just wait until millions in Bangladesh go underwater.

But I'm veering off topic again...

Someone else referenced this guy earlier.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RyanMaue

He really is worth following. Got some nice charts like Rattner on Morning Joe. I'm interested to understand why only large hurricanes are influenced by climate change. If any knows please let me know.

Unions have accused the electric power authority in Puerto Rico to delay maintenance and repairs to push for and increase support for privatization of power utility.

Perhaps there is some truth to the end of the world on the the 23rd nonsense. Hurricanes, earthquakes, nuclear missiles.

I don't know my US history that well so please summarize why PR is part of the US, but not a state?
And why is PR broke?

I don't know my US history that well so please summarize why PR is part of the US, but not a state?
And why is PR broke?
The US won Puerto Rico from Spain as a spoil of war in 1898.

Woodrow Wilson signed into law Puerto Rican citizenship in 1917, which allowed 20,000 people to be drafted into the war effort in WWI.

Puerto Rico would have to vote for and be approved for statehood, and that hasn't happened, so it is maintained as a US territory.

As for their economy...
The commonwealth's problems stem from massive government overspending, a big dependence on debt and a costly, inefficient energy system.
http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/29/news/economy/puerto-rico-default-looms/index.html

So no electricity or water. And they are saying 70% of homes lost their roof. Electricity could take 6 months to return.

I wonder what percent of Americans know that they are a US territory. I have seen some pretty disgusting ads about the cost of bailing them out.