The Greatest League in the World™

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Figured I'd start up this thread as we are an Irish forum.

The League of Ireland, also known as the Greatest League in the World™, is entering its penultimate round of fixtures with a total of four teams still in with a serious change of winning the title.

Damien Duff's Shelbourne have been top for most of the season, with Duff having learned from Mourinho how to grind out wins. Their form over the past few months has opened the door for the chasing pack. Stephen Kenny's St. Pat's are the in form side. Shamrock Rovers are going for their fifth successive title. Derry City have been thereabouts over the past couple of seasons but have been unable to get over the line and squandered their games in hand, they are also in the cup final. All four sides won tonight.

At the other end of the table, Dundalk have endured a miserable season. They were only playing Arsenal in Europe a few years back but a messy ownership has seen them relegated this season.

There isn't a passing week in the league that something utterly mad happens. Just tonight, the former owners and current owners of Dundalk had to be separated from a fight with each other at full-time.

Stuff like this is a regular occurrence in the league so figured I'd reserve a thread to share some of the funny and bizarre goings on. The league has undergone a bit of a Renaissance over the past few years with attendances across the country on the up.

It is a summer league played on Friday nights. I know we have some fans here so feel free to share some of your favorite or funny moments.

Last edited:
That’s gas. Was going to start a similar thread. To have just 4 points between the team in 1st place and the team in 4th has to be unusual. Don’t think there’s any other league in Europe that have finished with so many teams still with a shout of winning the league with just 2 games left?

That’s gas. Was going to start a similar thread. To have just 4 points between the team in 1st place and the team in 4th has to be unusual. Don’t think there’s any other league in Europe that have finished with so many teams still with a shout of winning the league with just 2 games left?
And when you look at the form of the leading teams, other than Pat's who started terribly, it makes for even more interesting reading.

Shels and Derry have been afraid to win it. If Pat's has an extra couple games they would be favourites.

I think Rovers will do it again.

And when you look at the form of the leading teams, other than Pat's who started terribly, it makes for even more interesting reading.

Shels and Derry have been afraid to win it. If Pat's has an extra couple games they would be favourites.

I think Rovers will do it again.

Yeah, I think so.

Terrible choke job by Duffer’s Shels.

Yeah, I think so.

Terrible choke job by Duffer’s Shels.
To add to the general weirdness of the league, Rovers will likely do it with their manager suspended due to being caught using a walkie talkie to communicate with his dugout during a previous suspension.

The Temple of Doom, as I’ve heard their new owner described.

Close enough.

Saw some random mention of this title race recently, proper squaky bum time!

Can't say I have too many references to these teams. Rooting for St Pat's because of this legend:

Shout to Waterford for O'Shea too, and where are Cobh, (Keano)?

It's been a hoot this year, the points tally for league winners will be shocking. I think Shels' win against Waterford might be enough to spark form but the leaders with 2 wins in 11 is mad.

I hope Derry win it, but Rovers might nick it, the feckers.

In all likelihood Rovers in their last two games wallop Dundalk and Waterford, both in terrible form and with nothing to play for, while we play out an agonising draw in Derry.

Shels under Duff have always been streaky, and more about keeping it tight at the back then outscoring the opposition - last night was the first time this season we've scored 3 goals in one game. If you used the same underlying data they use in the big leagues we were probably overperforming at the start of the season defensively and Pats and Rovers were underperforming in attack and it has, as its gonna do, evened out.

All this while losing our best defender in Gavin Molloy who's gone to another overperforming team in Aberdeen and been a mainstay, and our best attacker in Will Jarvis who was recalled from loan by Hull when they had no players, who since signed players and have dumped him back in the reserves.

Regardless of how it goes Shels fans are proud of what we've gotten this season, ahead of our expectations and budget.

What's blown my mind is that Shels have only just overtaken Bohs points tally from last season, they finished sixth then.

If we do our job and win the last two it'll be with a whopping 3 more points than last season.
You could do with a Bohs win tonight so Drogheda have nothing to play for next week. Bohs have had a dreadful season devoid of any enjoyment, Fenlon and Reynolds have a lot to answer for.

As a Shels fan I'm proud to have a passionate pantomime villain in charge, the spirit of Ollie Byrne is alive and well.

Figured I'd start up this thread as we are an Irish forum.

The League of Ireland, also known as the Greatest League in the World™, is entering its penultimate round of fixtures with a total of four teams still in with a serious change of winning the title.

Damien Duff's Shelbourne have been top for most of the season, with Duff having learned from Mourinho how to grind out wins. Their form over the past few months has opened the door for the chasing pack. Stephen Kenny's St. Pat's are the in form side. Shamrock Rovers are going for their fifth successive title. Derry City have been thereabouts over the past couple of seasons but have been unable to get over the line and squandered their games in hand, they are also in the cup final. All four sides won tonight.

At the other end of the table, Dundalk have endured a miserable season. They were only playing Arsenal in Europe a few years back but a messy ownership has seen them relegated this season.

There isn't a passing week in the league that something utterly mad happens. Just tonight, the former owners and current owners of Dundalk had to be separated from a fight with each other at full-time.

Stuff like this is a regular occurrence in the league so figured I'd reserve a thread to share some of the funny and bizarre goings on. The league has undergone a bit of a Renaissance over the past few years with attendances across the country on the up.

It is a summer league played on Friday nights. I know we have some fans here so feel free to share some of your favorite or funny moments.

Why the hell does the League of Ireland play over the summer?

Bohs stayed up with a win away to Sligo anyway. One of the very few weekends that both Man Utd and Bohs won. Even Ireland managed a win over the international break. Pep in my step this morning.

Reactions: moses
Just looking at the attendance figures, I'm happy to see there is every bit of an attendance boom in this league as well.
Record attendances by some distance where even the least attended team is at over 2k!
Good stuff.

Always wondered why Ireland's league been lagging so much in terms of both quality and popularity, but maybe there is finally a shift going on?

A league divided by "anyone but Rovers" and "anyone but Duffer" sentiments.
Yeah I couldn't believe how much people dislike him. The auld lads where I live traditionally hate Shamrock Rovers but they would rather them win it than Duff. Like he's a fecking eejit but still.

I genuinely think Man Utd's disaster of a decade has played a huge part in increasing attendance for the league here.

Listened to this today, interview with the new Dundalk owner. Details the fight in the stands last week, describes the club as a shit show. Another normal week.