The appreciation thread for those players who probably don't deserve their own appreciation thread

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
On a really sh*tty season, which thankfully ended on a high at least, there isn't much to appreciate about our team. There are the obvious stand outs in Bruno, Garnacho, Dalot etc but we lacked the whole team to stand out most of the time and even our best players had significant patches of bad form. All in the end meaning we ended up on a mediocre 8th place on the league.

Anyway, id like to start with McTominay and his goal contribution this season. He's not a world class player and some of his traits in midfield are of a very questionable quality (actually he belongs to a midfield of an 8th placed team) but probably if we take away his goals this season, we would be deeper on a puddle of crap, maybe on the bottom half of the table (probably some stats nerd can confirm or deny this statement)

So yeah, i appreciate mcTs effort and the fact that he scored a lot more goals than previous seasons. Even though most of us don't want to see him again ever on our starting xi, his lack of talent is not his fault, probably genetics, and he runs a lot for us and gets to both boxes a lot

Anyone else?

I really really miss having John O’Shea in the squad.

I also thought that Maguire had a great season and Antony was impressive for the second half of the season.

I really really miss having John O’Shea in the squad.

I also thought that Maguire had a great season and Antony was impressive for the second half of the season.
Maguire is one who deserves his own thread. He probably won’t get one, but he does deserve one

Jonny Evans. Came into the team as a spry 36 year old off the back of a relegation campaign at Leicester. Did his very best to make up for the loss of our two best defenders, often times playing in a system that forced his body into unnatural positions and in ways he had never played before.

Despite that, he performed admirably and played in 23 Premier League matches and 4 FA Cup fixtures and took on the job as a competent defender while being wholly unsuited for the role he was given.

Almost 10 years after we let him go, he came back to do the job. Well done.

Jonny Evans. Came into the team as a spry 36 year old off the back of a relegation campaign at Leicester. Did his very best to make up for the loss of our two best defenders, often times playing in a system that forced his body into unnatural positions and in ways he had never played before.

Despite that, he performed admirably and played in 23 Premier League matches and 4 FA Cup fixtures and took on the job as a competent defender while being wholly unsuited for the role he was given.

23! Games! That is insane. Get in there Jonny lad.

always annoyed at getting rid of him when he seemed riddle with injuries.

Perhaps people could respond here |...|to write everything positive about Martial for the last few years of his contract.

He had already one everything with United… except for the FA Cup. So he came back to finish the job.

Our best signing hands down and probably our best (most consistent) CB this season.

Holjund as well. I was NOT sold at him for his first few games and his bottom level of performance worries me even for a young lad - but those two runs in injury time against City were phenomenal. He’s got a brilliant attitude.

Wan Bissaka saved our asses alot of times during the season..done his job with no drama

Agreed, he also has a role in the squad for big games. You really trust him in one on one battles with top wingers in a way you wouldn’t with most full backs.

Definitely all of the above have been subject to over the top or sometimes outright false claims made against them just because people don’t rate them. All of them have contributed this season past in parts too and if not for them winning games or defending leads things could have been even worse!

All of them could still have roles to play as squad players too, but if even for them if an offer comes in where their better of and we are too then good luck to them. I would keep Wan more than most.

1704315601733_ee55f6fb-9bf3-4d5c-bcb7-012b6a16b565.jpg

Maguire. After the sht he was given. Dropped as captain. But he has been a total professional. No whining. Just got on with it and put in some really good performances

Maguire and McTominay.

Could have thrown their toys out the pram after the club tried to ship them on. Maguire then also had to deal with loads of unjustified, stupid abuse just because he didn't want to take a pay cut AND play for West Ham. Something absolutely no sane person would ever agree to do.

Both have had good seasons and made vital contributions. We would not have won the FA Cup without either one of them and if we'd actually sold either we'd have been completely fecked at certain points this season.