Gaming Stormgate - RTS by Frost Giant Studios

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Frost Giant Studios recently released a trailer about their first game, Stormgate. They attract a lot of hype and are seen as the saviours of RTS games, consisting of former Blizzard employees responsible for StarCraft 2 and WarCraft 3. Games I absolutely loved which were also the pinnacle of (competitive) RTS gaming.

People claim the RTS era is over, with MOBAs taking their spot. Nontheless I'm proper pumped for this, although not much is known so far about the game and it won't release before 2023. RTS in Unreal 5 engine though!

Here's the trailer:

Hard to be pumped when there is zero gameplay shown in the trailer. Also isn’t this going to be free to play?

RTS is my favourite genre - but not excited at all yet due to the 2 facts above..

Hard to be pumped when there is zero gameplay shown in the trailer. Also isn’t this going to be free to play?

RTS is my favourite genre - but not excited at all yet due to the 2 facts above..
Oh yeah, you're absolutely right. More pumped by the idea of a new RTS by the StarCraft/WarCraft guys than anything I've actually seen about the game.

As a traditional RTS fan, it’s one to keep an eye on.

Back in the day before online gaming was so mainstream, RTS’s were a lot of fun single player. Now though, it feels like that niche has been largely taken over by turn based/4x games. Fast paced multiplayer seems to be the home for modern RTS games, I wonder where this one will land.

Back in the day before online gaming was so mainstream, RTS’s were a lot of fun single player. Now though, it feels like that niche has been largely taken over by turn based/4x games. Fast paced multiplayer seems to be the home for modern RTS games, I wonder where this one will land.
Agreed.

I still get a load of fun out of StarCraft, StarCraft 2 and various command and conquers - but would love a new franchise that is as good as the heyday

Hear hear. The reason RTS is 'dead' is because they stopped making them - and in the few cases they do make on, it's multiplayer-focused even though the majority of RTS players prefer single player. In Starcraft 2, around 50% of players never even touched multiplayer and many of the other 50% just played a couple of games and went back to the campaigns.

I'm convinced that an RTS with excellent single-player campaigns and strong mod support for community-driven content (look at how well DOTA did - the game, not the poster, growing out of a Warcraft 3 mod) could still be highly successful.

Happy, that Frost Giant are making another proper RTS, but its going to be challenging. The genre needs a good amount of new ideas. Can't say, that I like the trailer. Looks a bit generic/cheap.

Last edited:
Happy, that Frost Giant are making another proper RTS, but its going to be challenging. The genre needs a good amount of new ideas. Can't say, that I like the trailer. Looks a but generic/cheap.

Yeah, the trailer offers nothing at all.

Being a bit bland doesn't really matter if it's multiplayer focused (Supreme Commander was the world's most generic sci-fi strategy game, but great multiplayer), but you need a setting and a theme to sink your teeth into if they're going to sell you on a campaign.

RTS games are amazing, there just hasn't been a great one for a while.

I spent the majority of my childhood playing the C&C group of games (RA2 especially) and Warcraft 3.

I'd love a new version similar to those to really get big. With the power of streaming now too it could make some epic content.

I have listen to a recent interview of one of the lead designers. He certainly said all the right things. One important point was, that they develop robust alternatives to 1v1. So he put a lot of emphasis on them developing a campaign, co-op modes, a 3v3 mode and enable custom map creation. They seem to understand that this is crucial to attracting a wider audience. Its early days but I am moderately hyped. I hope, that they can deliver on their ideas and that they can also attract new players to the genre. The engagement on social media is tiny compared to other games, but maybe it just needs time to get rolling.

I have listen to a recent interview of one of the lead designers. He certainly said all the right things. One important point was, that they develop robust alternatives to 1v1. So he put a lot of emphasis on them developing a campaign, co-op modes, a 3v3 mode and enable custom map creation. They seem to understand that this is crucial to attracting a wider audience. Its early days but I am moderately hyped. I hope, that they can deliver on their ideas and that they can also attract new players to the genre. The engagement on social media is tiny compared to other games, but maybe it just needs time to get rolling.
It's reasonably big in the SC2 and Warcraft 3 scene, understandably so. Maybe a bit early for the general hype. The way they sound, they'd prefer to spend their budget on creating a great game rather than big marketing

It's reasonable big in the SC2 and Warcraft 3 scene, understandably so. Maybe a bit early for the general hype. The way they sound, they'd prefer to spend their budget on creating a great game rather than big marketing
i still play sc2 at times. Problem is, that the sc2 and wc3 communities are fairly small compared to other mainstream games. They have to be able to attract a much wider audience to succeed, but I guess its early days.

i still play sc2 at times. Problem is, that the sc2 and wc3 communities are fairly small compared to other mainstream games. They have to be able to attract a much wider audience to succeed, but I guess its early days.
Yeah that's absolutely true. They need to create new RTS nerds, the existing ones won't be enough

Went into EA last week. I played a bit of closed beta and it looks really promising for my biased eyes. Currently don't have the energy to play competitive RTS though :D