Steve Bruce - The manager

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
United legend as a player, but how he keeps getting managerial jobs has to be one of footballs biggest mysteries.

WBA should not be 22nd in that League.

At Newcastle wasn't it rumoured every single day was just 11 v 11 and then you go home. Purist.

8 wins in 30 for WBA

Hello all, my first post so bear with me :)

There still seems to be a theme with hiring old British stalwarts in the Championship and lower tiers of the Football League.

It was only a few years ago that we had the likes of Mick McCarthy, Neil Warnock, Kenny Jackett etc all plying their trade in the Championship. And it’s difficult to tell who is managing who. They all seem to exchange clubs on a regular basis. Neil Warnock is always the QPR manager in my mind, even if he’s not - if that makes sense at all? And Tony Mowbray. Championship clubs love him. He’s always managing the likes of Middlesbrough and Sunderland

How Steve Bruce keeps getting these good jobs is anyone’s guess at this point. West Brom is still a pretty big job. It was only a few years ago Villa fans were throwing cabbages at him, too.

Bruce the player is a legend. He’s a nice bloke and without him, we don’t win that first league title since 1967. But clubs really need to stop giving him the management job.

Going back to the topic of British managers, it is refreshing to see the likes of Graham Potter bring a different brand of football to the table. Hopefully this is a sea change and sign of things to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: SilentWitness
They were 6th when he took over. In the relegation zone right now. I felt he should have retired after the Newcastle job. It seemed to take a massive toll on him

They were 6th when he took over. In the relegation zone right now. I felt he should have retired after the Newcastle job. It seemed to take a massive toll on him
I think the game has just surpassed him like many others. He was always pretty shit at PL level but L1 is becoming full of modern managers now let alone the Championship and the Bruce's of this world just can't/won't evolve.

Mark Hughes' Bradford City are just about clinging too a play off spot in League 2 as well. There is nothing inherently special about these.older names.

There are always chairman who want the assumed "safe pair of hands" to guide a club into the Prem and that sweet sweet TV money pay day, guys like Warnock were good at this for a time, Bruce, to his credit also has a couple of promotions.

They all seem to work with the same people every time and none of them seem all that keen to grow and adapt their role, this is particularly bamboozling when it comes to former SAF players as this is one of the important qualities that kept him ahead of the game for so long.

So yeah, in short, they are a bit shit these days and most Championship clubs could do with looking at younger coaches like Potter, McKenna etc. ones who can develop talent and implement a clear attacking style.

Mark Hughes' Bradford City are just about clinging too a play off spot in League 2 as well. There is nothing inherently special about these.older names.

There are always chairman who want the assumed "safe pair of hands" to guide a club into the Prem and that sweet sweet TV money pay day, guys like Warnock were good at this for a time, Bruce, to his credit also has a couple of promotions.

They all seem to work with the same people every time and none of them seem all that keen to grow and adapt their role, this is particularly bamboozling when it comes to former SAF players as this is one of the important qualities that kept him ahead of the game for so long.

So yeah, in short, they are a bit shit these days and most Championship clubs could do with looking at younger coaches like Potter, McKenna etc. ones who can develop talent and implement a clear attacking style.
I’d love to see Potter jump ship to Bradford not gonna lie

can understand bigging up your mates but Schmeichel championing him as the safe pair of hands Utd need was insane

I wonder if WBA fans will get the same stick Newcastle fans got for rightly wanting a change.

Game's passed him by but he was a decent PL-level coach for a while. Bit revisionist to claim otherwise, as some people do.

He did decent jobs at Birmingham, Wigan and Hull. The Newcastle job clearly took its toll on him; some of the abuse he got was pretty ghastly, but he didn’t help himself by seeming to believe that his status as a lifelong fan exempted him from any criticism.

It’s not that long ago that he was a sound choice for a Championship side with a decent chance of promotion. Surely he’s finished now though? West Brom’s record of manager recruitment has been particularly poor for ages now.

Game's passed him by but he was a decent PL-level coach for a while. Bit revisionist to claim otherwise, as some people do.
He did decent jobs at Birmingham, Wigan and Hull.

This is more accurate. Was a good choice for a while for clubs of certain means and he can be pretty happy with his managerial career.

Poor old Steve, he’s a decent bloke who’ll get a smallish team on the move with limited resources. I think he’d do a better job than Steve Cooper at Forest btw.

Yeah he’s done. Can’t imagine any club being dumb enough to sign him unless it’s league 1/2

One of the issues is, his style of football is slowly being phased out of the lower leagues too. He should think about retiring

Poor old Steve, he’s a decent bloke who’ll get a smallish team on the move with limited resources. I think he’d do a better job than Steve Cooper at Forest btw.
I don't buy this nice guy act. At Newcastle he lashed out at journalists in a very nasty manner and he also made extremely unprofessional comments about Benitez and Howe.

Not sure I buy the so called abuse either, i mean ofcourse I don't doubt (as is the case with most if not all people in the public eye sadly) there was a minority of idiots that took it too far but a lot of the "abuse" i saw was deserved criticism for being shit at his job.

So more millions in compo, the man has been stealing a living for over a decade now.

Best of luck to him, hope they have nice bacon.

Also reminded me of this.

A quick update things looking very good 3 wins on the bounce football is better last two Games beaten promotion favourites Charlton and Huddersfield both away and he seem’s happy to be beside the seaside too.he plays with wingers and the football is very easy on the eye.

I was as sceptical as anyone else on this appointment but I've got to say right now there's a buzz about the place we haven't seen since Holloway.

Very early days, but the style of play is enjoyable to watch and the results moreso.

Fingers crossed