Television Shōgun (FX Networks series) - premieres February 27, 2024

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
2nd season would just be a documentary. They practically spoiled who won at the end of the series
Well, they showed us what Toranaga thought (dreamed) would happen.

Of course, a history book would do the same :)

That begin said, I really don't want them to do a second season. I hope the see sense, not cent$, and do the right thing.

nimic

something nice
Scout
2nd season would just be a documentary. They practically spoiled who won at the end of the series
2nd season could be about what happens after he becomes Shogun. Or could jump ahead in time to another crisis. It obviously wouldn't be about his path to being Shogun, because that's what this season was. He won - that's what we saw.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Given the critical success, it was obvious Disney was going to push for a second season. Will be interesting which direction they go, considering how it ended.

AfonsoAlves

I don't understand.

The plot finished. The book is done. There is no more source material for Shogun.

didz

I don't care if it's a cash grab, it's fecking brilliant and I'll lap it up anyway. Half as good as excellent will still be pretty good.

Then I remember that Yabu is gone... Okay yeah there's probably no point. Unless we bring him back. What's the survival rate for seppuku/decapitation anyway?

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
"I don't want it (a new ship)"

"He's my Shogun!"

"Actually, I never cared about Mariko"

"Toranaga kind of just forgot about the Portuguese fleet"

"Buntaro is now Master of Coin"

RedDevilQuebecois

Oh ffs. Leave it alone, you twats
Well, the Battle of Sekigahara has not happened just yet. A lot also happened in the years after the real Toranaga - Ieyasu Tokugawa became Shogun, ranging from gaining a firmer grip on power, deteriorating relations with the Catholics, the arrival of English East India Company in 1613, and a lot more. And if you read enough about the real Anjin - William Adams and his service for the Tokugawa Shogunate, I say there is more than enough material to use and dramatize as a canvas for a brand new season.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Even if there are actual historical events you still need to write a compelling story. Not to mention 2 of the 3 most compelling characters are gone.

I would love to see the same creators do a completely different story with many of the actors in roughly the same era (or maybe Edo!). They can still call it Shogun. It's such a vague title anyways.

Alternatively: Fuji - The Nun Assassin :drool:

Last edited:

Withnail

Well, the Battle of Sekigahara has not happened just yet. A lot also happened in the years after the real Toranaga - Ieyasu Tokugawa became Shogun, ranging from gaining a firmer grip on power, deteriorating relations with the Catholics, the arrival of English East India Company in 1613, and a lot more. And if you read enough about the real Anjin - William Adams and his service for the Tokugawa Shogunate, I say there is more than enough material to use and dramatize as a canvas for a brand new season.
It's not the point I'm making at all. I know there is material there and many real life events to draw from but this was conceived as a 1 season show and based closely on the books. This risk is we get a GOT style drop in quality in the absence of strong source material. S1 was so good it would be hard to follow up anyway even if there was a book to vase it on, so S2 is bound to be a disappointment especially when we no longer have three strong characters.

I'd have preferred if they looked at adapting some of the other books in an anthology style show.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I'm actually okay with this, because I don't really have any relationship with the source material. If it turns out good, that's great! If it turns out bad, I'll just not watch it. It's not going to completely ruin an entire book series for me, like GoT did for A Song of Ice and Fire.

SirAF

Ageist
I'm actually okay with this, because I don't really have any relationship with the source material. If it turns out good, that's great! If it turns out bad, I'll just not watch it. It's not going to completely ruin an entire book series for me, like GoT did for A Song of Ice and Fire.
Agreed. As long as Sanada is onboard I'm confident!