Position: Midfielder - Central Midfield
Foot: Right
Player Agent: Samii Sport-Marketing Agentur
Squad Number: #39
Contract Until: Jun 30, 2025
Contract Option: Club option 1 year
Date of Last Contract Extension: Jun 23, 2020
Outfitter: Nike​

Ugarte and Collyer (only included him due to ETH's post final pep talk with him ala Mainoo from the year before) should spell the end of his time here, surely? He's got heart but he's simply not good enough for a top 4 team.

Ugarte and Collyer (only included him due to ETH's post final pep talk with him ala Mainoo from the year before) should spell the end of his time here, surely? He's got heart but he's simply not good enough for a top 4 team.

What current players do we have that can make an impact from the bench?

Scott seems like a nice guy. However, if we want to go to the next level, it’s players like him that need to be sacrificed.

No problem whatsoever with keeping him as a role player and if he is needed for the homegrown quotient. He clearly should not be starting nor should he be deployed in a defensive role, but as an attacking wrecking ball in the last 25 minutes of games he is strangely effective and his impact would not be easy to replace.

Perhaps I’m not entirely objective, being spiritually Scottish and all, but I loved Scott even before that, never said a bad word about him.
Out of all the post SAF players he always seemed to me as one of the (very) few who would’ve made it under SAF, as a mainstay in his squads.

Everybody was talking about how great Bruno and Amad were in that FA Cup win against Liverpool, but Scott had part in 3 of our 4 goals that day.
Scored, assisted to Rashford and won the header that started the counter attack to Amad’s winning goal.
That’s a United player through and through.

He improved massively last season and found an edge, arriving in the box from deeper positions, and that’s one hell of an edge for a midfielder player, there’s not many of them around.
People judge him, rightly or not, as someone who isn’t involved enough when he’s playing as a 6, but that’s not his edge, he had good and bad games there, but he’s not going to be one of these 96% passing accuracy (majority of these are backwards and sideways) players, that’s not what he’s good at.

He was also excellent off the ball in that double false 9 system against City in the FA Cup final.
Keep that man.

I would very much like us to sell him as I simply dont rate him. I don't think we will though. I assume Casemiro will leave and that will no doubt kick the can further down the road as far as McTominay's exit is concerned.

This would be the perfect time to sell him as his valuation won't get any higher than it currently is.

Unfortunately I don't think Ten Hag will see it that way, as his knack for goals off the bench could save us from a few losses again and potentially be difference between Ten Hag keeping his job or not.

Granted - Ineos will want to see progress in developing a style of play. And in order to that, we need to move away from a midfield featuring Mctominay, as his number of touches per game is indicative of why we struggle to control games. However, I am almost certain we'll see Mctominay get selected ahead of our £55m Mount the majority of the time.

Scott’s got elite mentality and a knack for crucial goals. But wait any longer and his price depreciates. You could easily get £30-40m right now and provided we have appropriate cover in midfield, we must sell. Regardless of how much of a positive he is in the dressing room. I’ll take winning consistently as a dressing room positive vs one guy who’s amazing for setting standards (according to Ten Hag).

He just isn’t an option as a midfielder and we are always very poor when he starts there. He had quite a number of games where he made so few passes it was farsical.

We need money and he is one of the best ways to get that money. We wouldn’t be any worse off without him and it would allow more natural midfielders more game time.

Have to keep him. Homegrown and he got the highest goal tally of his Man United career last season. Most goals from the bench in the PL of any player in the entire league. Good squad player, always professional and loves the club.

He just isn’t an option as a midfielder and we are always very poor when he starts there. He had quite a number of games where he made so few passes it was farsical.

We need money and he is one of the best ways to get that money. We wouldn’t be any worse off without him and it would allow more natural midfielders more game time.

Well I am sorry to tell you yes we would. He scored a few winning goals last season in the league coming off the bench..

Well I am sorry to tell you yes we would. He scored a few winning goals last season in the league coming off the bench..

We wouldn’t. If we sold him and brought in a proper midfielder, we would be a much better team. If we sold him and brought in Toney, we would have more goals in the team.

There just isn’t a situation where not selling him benefits the club, he doesn’t have a proper position.

Fans want a better team, but want to retain all the players that make us so average. It doesn’t make sense.

10 goals and 3 assists last season. Need someone else to reach those numbers and sell McTominay to get money for another midfielder.

He did, but on the road to where? An 8th placed finish? If a team finishes 8th, but has designs on finishing first, even that team’s best player may not be compatible with what it would take to turn that team into a winning one.

I just can’t understand how it isn’t yet blindingly obvious that any sort of football that has Scott McTominay seen as a useful midfielder is clearly not going to take us where we need to go. To be the best team, we need to change our football to something that highlights McTominay’s weaknesses (things like passing the ball to teammates and positional discipline) rather than his strengths. A team that plays to his strengths, for a start, is trying to keep and progress the ball with two midfielders instead of 3.

He has to go, and I again find myself in a summer where I can simplify whatever it is that we’re trying to achieve by saying that if we see Scott as a useful player, then I can say with confidence that we are going nowhere. Every team with genuine designs on winning big titles play a brand of football that directly contrasts with him. If we see ours as something he can add value to, we’ve missed the road.

He did, but on the road to where? An 8th placed finish? If a team finishes 8th, but has designs on finishing first, even that team’s best player may not be compatible with what it would take to turn that team into a winning one.

I just can’t understand how it isn’t yet blindingly obvious that any sort of football that has Scott McTominay seen as a useful midfielder is clearly not going to take us where we need to go. To be the best team, we need to change our football to something that highlights McTominay’s weaknesses (things like passing the ball to teammates and positional discipline) rather than his strengths. A team that plays to his strengths, for a start, is trying to keep and progress the ball with two midfielders instead of 3.

He has to go, and I again find myself in a summer where I can simplify whatever it is that we’re trying to achieve by saying that if we see Scott as a useful player, then I can say with confidence that we are going nowhere. Every team with genuine designs on winning big titles play a brand of football that directly contrasts with him. If we see ours as something he can add value to, we’ve missed the road.
It is to a degree discouraging, that we see that topic still to be relevant (even if only a minority position). There is no other explanation in my eyes that some fans really don't watch our games with their full attention (or not at all) and judge players solely on the match report goal and assists columns.

That being said, I really hope he isn't going to go to Turkey, I think, he is useful enough to stay in the league and feature for another club - and looking at our current issues maybe even for a team that will rival is (shortterm hopefully).

It is to a degree discouraging, that we see that topic still to be relevant (even if only a minority position). There is no other explanation in my eyes that some fans really don't watch our games with their full attention (or not at all) and judge players solely on the match report goal and assists columns.

That being said, I really hope he isn't going to go to Turkey, I think, he is useful enough to stay in the league and feature for another club - and looking at our current issues maybe even for a team that will rival is (shortterm hopefully).

Naturally I’d prefer a PL sale as that will be best for us fiscally. There are probably less then 5 teams outside the PL that can pay what domestic sides can pay.

But yes, we’re still having this conversation. For 11 years we’ve never really come close to winning the league. To varying degrees, who played ‘best’, who scored most etc is all irrelevant. All that matters is how they fare in the context of what we need to do to be first. Their usefulness to our cause of finishing 6th is not relevant in and of itself.

Have to keep him. Homegrown and he got the highest goal tally of his Man United career last season. Most goals from the bench in the PL of any player in the entire league. Good squad player, always professional and loves the club.
We already have plenty of homegrown players.

It’s time to sell him.

We have other homegrown players.

All those so called positives of his are useless once the question “Is he a quality midfielder” is answered.

The quality of the player should be paramount.

We already have plenty of homegrown players.

It’s time to sell him.

We have other homegrown players.

All those so called positives of his are useless once the question “Is he a quality midfielder” is answered.

The quality of the player should be paramount.

Most goals in the league off the bench last season. When the chips are down and we are desperate for a goal late in the game, we need players that change the game, and he does it better than most. As proved by the stats.