Music Sampha

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
First album dropped earlier this month, really enjoying it at the moment. Anybody else listened to him?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Liking a few of the songs on the album. Plastic 100, Reverse Faults, couple others.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, he's great. The album is getting the plaudits it deserves - 87% on Metacritic and glaringly positive reviews elsewhere. It's very intimate and I love how concise it is. Very few artists in this smorgasbord of Soul/Electronic/R&B genre drop these 10 song albums without any filler in it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah, he's great. The album is getting the plaudits it deserves - 87% on Metacritic and glaringly positive reviews elsewhere. It's very intimate and I love how concise it is. Very few artists in this smorgasbord of Soul/Electronic/R&B genre drop these 10 song albums without any filler in it.
This is the perfect length imo and one of the reasons why Illmatic is so good.

DWelbz19

This is the perfect length imo and one of the reasons why Illmatic is so good.
Great example. The point I was going to extend to make is that with shorter albums it's easier to thematically shape it. Illmatic was just Nas explaining his life around him in an extremely eloquent and poetic way. Factor in the immense production, the context of breaking the West Coast dominance (Ice-T, NWA, Dre, Snoop etc...) and you have an absolute classic.

Another example that just came to my head is The Weeknd - one of my favourite artists - his mixtapes were 10 songs a piece and each tape engulfed you in his world of debauchery so well.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Great example. The point I was going to extend to make is that with shorter albums it's easier to thematically shape it. Illmatic was just Nas explaining his life around him in an extremely eloquent and poetic way. Factor in the immense production, the context of breaking the West Coast dominance (Ice-T, NWA, Dre, Snoop etc...) and you have an absolute classic.

Another example that just came to my head is The Weeknd - one of my favourite artists - his mixtapes were 10 songs a piece and each tape engulfed you in his world of debauchery so well.
The Weeknd's new album has gotten stick for having a lot of filler though right?

DWelbz19

The Weeknd's new album has gotten stick for having a lot of filler though right?
Aye, he's basically just 'sold out' at this point. The entire album fits a very genetic mainstream pop album structure of verse/hook/verse to A. make as many hits for the radio, and B. easier songs to sing on tour.

It's definitely working, because only the likes of Drake/Taylor Swift/Adele are pushing larger numbers, but it's such a waste of potential. I half wish he'd do a Frank Ocean and disappear for a few years and come back with something fresh.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He's released his first proper single since 2017. Likely new album on the way :drool:

altodevil

Straight out of the Frank Ocean playbook - good song!

altodevil

All signs pointing to another great album. Great wee treat to pop up on my drive home.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah I'm really enjoying it. The drums are used so sparingly throughout that they really impact when they come in, and the production in general is stellar.

I would say I prefer the first half of the album to the second but all the songs are gorgeous. The last few tracks just have a bit less punch.

My current favourite aside from the singles: