Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Why?

You want enemies running around free to do what they want, or are ordered, to do?

I'm not talking concentration camps here, just internment. Happened in UK during WWII, why not if there's another war?

The Russian people is not your enemy. The immense majority of Russian diaspora in the west are far more hostile towards Putin and his regime than you and I will ever be.

Between the missing Romanian Mig and the annexing of these Japanese Islands, we are seem to be well on our way to a broader conflict. ;)

Romanian MiG almost certainly crashed due to poor weather. The rescue helicopter sent after it likely crashed due to the same reason.

Between the missing Romanian Mig and the annexing of these Japanese Islands, we are seem to be well on our way to a broader conflict. ;)

If not for the eventual Russian response, Georgia making noise around South Ossetia and Abkhazia would cause distractions for Russia too.

The Kremlin propaganda sounds like “we are going to protect Donbas form the real rulers of Ukraine (the neo Nazis). “

This message has been shouted and repeated all around Russia for 8 years. Many in Russia do believe that the Russian population of east Ukraine (especially the Donbas) was at risk of a genocide and that an intervention is necessary to prevent that genocide.

Funny I was just arguing with my russian buddy -- he was saying the same thing.

For Russian soldiers, they are missioned to do what they have been told and ordered, to neutralise Ukraine military force and to liberty the people of Ukraine.

What in the name of sweet Moses are you talking about!?

‘Liberate’ them from what… their own government that they voted in and are fighting for!?

‘Liberate’ them from their own Liberty! Ffs, man.

Why?

You want enemies running around free to do what they want, or are ordered, to do?

I'm not talking concentration camps here, just internment. Happened in UK during WWII, why not if there's another war?

The goal here is to turn the Russian people against Putin and the war as much as possible. We're not getting these repeated videos of Russian soldiers calling home for no reason. And in fact the EU has discussed proposals to try and create a brain drain from Russia into the rest of Europe. They actively want to lure highly qualified Russians into their countries.

What you're proposing seems (amongst many other things) insanely conterproductive and stupid in terms of the actual approach at play here. Putin is trying to convince Russia they're fighting Nazis and you want to do the heavy lifting for him by putting Russians who have done nothing wrong into internment camps.

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman
The goal here is to turn the Russian people against Putin and the war as much as possible. We're not getting these repeated videos of Russian soldiers calling home for no reason. And in fact the EU has discussed proposals to try and create a brain drain from Russia into the rest of Europe. They actively want to lure highly qualified Russians into their countries.

What you're proposing seems (amongst many other things) insanely conterproductive and stupid in terms of the actual approach at play here. Putin is trying to convince Russia they're fighting Nazis and you want to do the heavy lifting for him by putting Russians who have done nothing wrong into internment camps.
Well said

What in the name of sweet Moses are you talking about!?

‘Liberate’ them from what… their own government that they voted in and are fighting for!?

‘Liberate’ them from their own Liberty! Ffs, man.
That liberation part is coming from Putin and his Russian propaganda, to portray the mission as a defensive campaign to "liberate" Ukraine. He literally announced this as a limited “special military operation” to “demilitarise” Ukraine and protect citizens in the Donbas from what he claimed was a Ukrainian “genocide”. Of course they are not going to admit the invasion has anything to do with territorial expansion etc.

I thought this response from a Russian academic was very interesting. After seeing a video of some derange Russian academic screaming at a Channel 4 interviewer, I was astounded by how inculcated even Russian academics are by Putin's propaganda. College campuses and faculty are typically the center of anti-war movements in the US. It seems the long-term restrictions on free press and heavy-handed propaganda on state media have paid huge dividends for Putin. Even the Soviet people didn't believe all of the lies that the party told them.

The Russian people is not your enemy. The immense majority of Russian diaspora in the west are far more hostile towards Putin and his regime than you and I will ever be.
Can you afford to take that chance in a war, though?

I'm talking if a war occurred in/spread to UK, not the current conflict (unless it widens to us, of course).

Surely if the war spreads to UK/US, it would be fair, from a security perspective, to put all Russian nationals within that country into a camp. Do you really want a load of nationals from a country you're at war with wandering around freely?

:lol:

Interesting thread that explains more issues facing the Russian convoy.

Thanks. I remember seeing some documentary, the German invasion had the same problem. The famous winter was a problem, but even more, the muddy months before/after it.

Surely if the war spreads to UK/US, it would be fair, from a security perspective, to put all Russian nationals within that country into a camp. Do you really want a load of nationals from a country you're at war with wandering around freely?
That's an amazing idea. Perhaps the US/UK could get them to aid the war effort by forcing them to work long hours too.

This is very old news in the region. But take another look at that map. If you are South Korea or Japan, you'd think a very strong alliance with the western democracies would be bottom line essential. And Japan is usually in line with more hawkish US defense and security thinking. But the current South Korean ruling party, which could be removed next week, has yet to get the message (although belatedly joining a few sanctions). It's just spent 4 years lickspittling China and NK. Their presidential candidate even blamed the Russian invasion on Zelenskyy's political immaturity and he could yet win. It's such prevarications and splitting that gives Russia hope. India, Israel, most of the middle east, etc see the invasion as irritating or an opportunity for learning objective lessons or a strategic opportunity. But apart from Japan, Australia and a couple of others, it could be that most of this world is at least in spirit party to the idea of seeing a pushback war against the west succeed.

People (or countries) have been aware of this and have been trying (to no avail) to move from USD. Those that tries (Libya) got obliterated

SWIFT is US biggest Nuclear weapon, and they've shown the world just how devastating that is, and I have no doubt smaller and less "cooperative" countries will now try to find a way to circumvent the use of SWIFT, or at least minimize it.
Russia, China, India... are not Libya. Besides, it will happen gradually but by many countries around the world instead of one trying to take on the dollar. The problem for the dollar here is not one country trying to evade sanctions to survive, it will be many countries around the world losing confidence in the dollar and they will gradually start to diversify their currencies instead of stockpiling dollars. The US has been using the dollar too much as a weapon recently, and many countries already started trading in other currencies/using other payment systems. John Kerry actually talked about it too back in 2015 (I already posted the video earlier in this thread, will post again if interested).

As for SWIFT, it's even less of a problem than the dollar and the other sanctions. There will be some inconvenience by having to switch to another system, but it's not a big problem when your main trading partner is China anyway. Besides, it will actually pose a problem for the European countries who are not ready yet to completely shut the doors on all economic deals with Russia.

Economically speaking, China will clearly emerge as the big winner from all this.

The implication being that there is some kind of debate within the convoy about whether to press on with the slaughter? There is a lot of wishful thinking about. If we are to believe the claim that Russian officers are shooting their own injured grunts, this "debate" would take as long as it does to call a Russian air strike on their own tanks.

I agree with this... It's actually ironic that Europe keeps criticizing Russia for censorship of the media and denying free press, yet it was Europe who started banning Russian media from all platforms while European media still allowed to operate inside Russia.

Fighting disinformation with censorship is a mistake
The EFJ General Secretary Ricardo Gutiérrez expressed surprise: “First of all, it should be remembered that media regulation does not fall within the competence of the European Union. We believe the EU has no right to grant or withdraw broadcasting licences. This is an exclusive competence of the states.”

“Secondly, the total closure of a media outlet does not seem to me to be the best way to combat disinformation or propaganda,” added Gutiérrez. “This act of censorship can have a totally counterproductive effect on the citizens who follow the banned media. In our opinion, it is always better to counteract the disinformation of propagandist or allegedly propagandist media by exposing their factual errors or bad journalism, by demonstrating their lack of financial or operational independence, by highlighting their loyalty to government interests and their disregard for the public interest.”

https://europeanjournalists.org/blo...-disinformation-with-censorship-is-a-mistake/

Why am I having to watch a 3 year old girl with cancer, whose cancer medicine is running out, have to shelter in a dank basement to avoid the falling bombs? What the feck is wrong with the world? I’ve had my moments of heartbreak and rage over the last few days, but this just leaves me in despair. She’s still smiling too. These people are fecking heroic, and Putin is such a disgusting, tiny, pathetic little man. I hate him. I hate him with every fiber of my being. I would give almost anything to choke the life from him with my bare hands.

Last edited:
I agree with this... It's actually ironic that Europe keeps criticizing Russia for censorship of the media and denying free press, yet it was Europe who started banning Russian media from all platforms while European media still allowed to operate inside Russia
So we are complaining that state owned Russian propaganda isn’t being allowed?

Ffs

Just seen that Zelenski played a president on a TV show before becoming one.

That's so surreal, it's the equivalent of Kiefer Sutherland becoming US president off the back of Designated Survivor.

Just seen that Zelenski played a president on a TV show before becoming one.

That's so surreal, it's the equivalent of Kiefer Sutherland becoming US president off the back of Designated Survivor.

tbf Keifer probably had more preparation and training than Z, having played the lead role in 24 prior to the DS role.

tbf Keifer probably had more preparation and training than Z, having played the lead role in 24 prior to the DS role.
True. Also if he is anything like his character on DS then I imagine America's approach to the pandemic would have been world's apart from what we have seen.

I do not condone blanket sanctions to any country, be it yemen, north korea, etc.

It's inhumane to make people suffer. There are people that need medication, food etc and unable to do so due to the crippling sanction.

By all means take them to war, kill and fight but leave the civilians alone.

I do not condone blanket sanctions to any country, be it yemen, north korea, etc.

It's inhumane to make people suffer. There are people that need medication, food etc and unable to do so due to the crippling sanction.

By all means take them to war, kill and fight but leave the civilians alone.

#War_is_bad ?