Relegation Battle 23/24

BorisManUtd

98 maybe?
Yeah.

Only once in Premier League history have all three promoted teams gone straight back down again. That was in 1997-98 when Barnsley, Bolton and Crystal Palace were relegated.
Now 2nd time. Also with Leicester coming back and possibly Leeds/Southampton, Ipswich getting promoted is only exciting thing happening this season.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Forest and Everton very lucky overall. I'm not sure there'll ever be too many better seasons to take a points deduction if you have to.

Aside from the bit of fight Luton showed just after the new year, all three promoted clubs were completely hopeless.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Forest and Everton very lucky overall. I'm not sure there'll ever be too many better seasons to take a points deduction if you have to.

Aside from the bit of fight Luton showed just after the new year, all three promoted clubs were completely hopeless.
Tbf there have only been three seasons when a team has been relegated with 40 points or more and the last time was back in 02/03. We've just been a decent team this season.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I agree, it would have been better for clubs around for Luton to stay up rather than Forest. As it is it could be a very strong league next season with Leicester coming up and potentially Leeds/Southampton too. You could find it very tough.
Yes absolutely. It’s famously difficult to predict thought, there will likely be one promoted team who exceed expectations (not that that has happened this year, mind), and one team who believed that they were established (Brentford or Bournemouth maybe) who have an absolute shocker of a season.

If McKenna does manage to keep us up then I’d expect it to be his last season with us unfortunately. He’d have had 3 consecutive seasons of pretty crazy and unlikely success against clubs with more resources. Someone far bigger than we are currently will have him away.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Tbf there have only been three seasons when a team has been relegated with 40 points or more and the last time was back in 02/03. We've just been a decent team this season.
Pundits used to claim 42 points didn’t they? Which almost always was considerably higher than the 18th place team actually got.

BorisManUtd

Yeah without points deduction you're up there with Brighton. Best season since Ancelotti for you.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
That's fair, and Dyche's Everton have definitely been a more competent football team than the Lampard/Ferguson/Benitez versions, but I feel like that several month run between about Christmas and April where you couldn't buy a win might easily have ended up terminal if you'd have been under more pressure from below.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Forest staying up with just 29 points is absolutely horrible :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
That's fair, and Dyche's Everton have definitely been a more competent football team than the Lampard/Ferguson/Benitez versions, but I feel like that several month run between about Christmas and April where you couldn't buy a win might easily have ended up terminal if you'd have been under more pressure from below.
It's true but it happens a lot for mid table sides. Look at Brighton for example. Your whole season is basically defined by winning 3 or 4 games on the bounce every couple of months.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Pundits used to claim 42 points didn’t they? Which almost always was considerably higher than the 18th place team actually got.
Yeah, I think 40 in modern day football is enough but I think they chose that 42 because 2 of those 3 seasons I mentioned had the 18th place side on 42 points.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yes absolutely. It’s famously difficult to predict thought, there will likely be one promoted team who exceed expectations (not that that has happened this year, mind), and one team who believed that they were established (Brentford or Bournemouth maybe) who have an absolute shocker of a season.

If McKenna does manage to keep us up then I’d expect it to be his last season with us unfortunately. He’d have had 3 consecutive seasons of pretty crazy and unlikely success against clubs with more resources. Someone far bigger than we are currently will have him away.
I think it's arguably a harder job to keep Ipswich up next year than it is for Edwards to have kept Luton up this year. I think there will be more deductions but perhaps only 2-4 points for clubs rather than the 4-8 we have seen this season. I also think Leicester + that other club is a bigger challenge than Burnley and the dismal SU team of this season.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Quite amazing how Kompany has escaped any criticism after spending money in the window yet having a poor campaign.
It's no surprise if any of the promoted clubs go down, I'd always give them a bit of a break personally.

But yes, ran way with the Championship finishing 21 points ahead of Luton, spent a lot to strengthen and are behind them in the table with 1 match to go. They've never looked surviving, even with points deductions for teams above them, and have only recently put some daylight between themselves and Sheff Utd who have been a meme all season.

They've not done well at all.

Kompany is well-liked I suppose.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Forest should think about a shift to Sir David of Moyes before next season. If they start with Nuno, they will be right in the mix next year.

croadyman

Who should Utd consider taking from the relegated sides, the two which immediately spring to mind is Doughty and Barkley