Ray Parlour

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Not a player remembered very often. How does the caf rate him in retrospect?

He was only capped 10 times, which is perhaps understandable as he was never as good as Anderton, McManaman or Beckham.

I thought he was a cracking player, underrated for what he did. The kind of player managers love?

The only thing I really remember about Ray Parlour was the divorce settlement he got handed down.

I remember him fairly fondly, but that's partly because he'd completely merged with Keown and Merson in my memory at one point. On aggregate, they were one hell of a footballer.

Fiore/Fuser/Perrotta are an even harder tangle to unravel.

He was a good player but not a top class player. A very handy player to have in your squad.

Great engine in him. For drinking and running.

Great brand of punditry too, the ability to just say the name of any player as if that is then an opinion on them is hard to beat.

Watching him, Petit, Overmars and Bergkamp just stream forward when they won the ball in Wenger's early days was something to behold!

Not a player remembered very often. How does the caf rate him in retrospect?

He was only capped 10 times, which is perhaps understandable as he was never as good as Anderton, McManaman or Beckham.

I thought he was a cracking player, underrated for what he did. The kind of player managers love?

Very good player would have been part of the second string England players after the mentioned but upset Glenn Hoddle by mocking his “Faith healer”.

He was very, very good.

He became a much better player under Wenger, much better in possession and more technical.

Slightly different type of player, but pretty much their version of Nicky Butt. Not World Class by any means, but a good player who you'd be happy to have in your squad.

Last edited:
Pretty strong player. Didn't they pack the midfield at times with Parlour, Vieira and Petit? That Arsenal side was ridiculous in its strength.

Part of one of the best midfield in premier league history. But obviously that massively had a lot to do with the other 3.

I always felt Parlour was Arsenals version of Darren Fletcher, or as someone has already said, Nicky Butt. All be it in a slightly different position. The sort of player who you always knew what you would get from him and would run through a brick wall if the manager asked him too.

Never a stand out player from that Arsenal team of the late 90's/ early 2000s.... But always a player and wasn't dropped very often!

He was a good player and his cup final goal in 2002 was excellent.

Can't forgive his cowardly, sly dig at RvN during the 2003 game. Sidled up from behind and punched him in the back.

Cowardly.

Excellent footballer and most certainly better than Conor Gallagher. Belongs in a level similar to English Arsenal players around that time i.e. Adams, Dixon, Keown and Winterburn.

Excellent footballer and most certainly better than Conor Gallagher. Belongs in a level similar to English Arsenal players around that time i.e. Adams, Dixon, Keown and Winterburn.
Adams was a level above the others.

If their birth dates were swapped Pele would have been known as the Três Corações Parlour.