Rate the Premier League managers 2024/2025 edition

Red Star One

How do we rate the managers this year? First edition in a long while without Klopp, quite a few new names compared to the last season.

AFC Bournemouth: Andoni Iraola — appointed June 2023
Arsenal: Mikel Arteta — appointed December 2019
Aston Villa: Unai Emery — appointed November 2022
Brentford: Thomas Frank — appointed October 2018
Brighton & Hove Albion: Fabian Hurzeler — appointed July 2024
Chelsea: Enzo Maresca — appointed June 2024
Crystal Palace: Oliver Glasner — appointed February 2024
Everton: Sean Dyche — appointed January 2023
Fulham: Marco Silva — appointed July 2021
Ipswich: Kieran McKenna — appointed December 2021
Leicester: Steve Cooper — appointed July 2024
Liverpool: Arne Slot — appointed July 2024
Manchester City: Pep Guardiola — appointed July 2016
Manchester United: Erik ten Hag — appointed June 2022
Newcastle United: Eddie Howe — appointed November 2021
Nottingham Forest: Nuno Espirito Santo — appointed December 2023
Tottenham Hotspur: Ange Postecoglou — appointed July 2023
West Ham United: Julen Lopetegui — appointed July 2024
Wolverhampton Wanderers: Gary O'Neil — appointed August 2023

The longest-serving current manager is Pep Guardiola, followed by Thomas Frank and Mikel Arteta.

A - Pep.

B - Arteta, Emery.

C - Slot, Ange, Ten Hag.

D - Silva, Howe, Iraola, Glasner, Frank, Lopetegui.

McKenna, Hurzeler, Maresca, Martin.

E - Dyche, Nuno, O'Neil, Cooper.

Something like that. I don't know enough yet about those managers in the dead zone between D and E to judge properly yet but the former three are closer to D than E and Martin is closer to E than D.

I think that the managers in C are all on the periphery of either B or D too.

Him and Dyche are pretty much neck and neck with the bookies.

I think because of the move to the new stadium in the summer and potential new owners, we will try and wait as long as possible to pull the trigger.

A - Pep.

B - Arteta, Emery.

C - Slot, Ange, Ten Hag.

Something like that. I don't know enough yet about those managers in the dead zone between D and E to judge properly yet but the former three are closer to D than E and Martin is closer to E than D.

Ten Hag's inexplicable stubbornness should get him demoted now, even though I definitely rate (rated?) him very highly even until the latter stages of last season.

The only other change I'd make is demote Emery as I don't think anyone is really close to Arteta and Pep in the league right now.

Other than that, I think this is overall a decent tier list, but it's difficult to distinguish between some of them, obviously. I reckon Dyche or O'Neil wouldn't look out of place at the clubs that the D tier guys are managing.

I'm also quite skeptical about Lopetegui, but I don't know enough about him to confidently dismiss him.

The dead zone is valid as well, but early signs are that all of them are good enough for at least the D tier, but the sample size is very low.

A - Pep.

B - Arteta, Emery.

C - Slot, Ange, Ten Hag.

That’s a fair one, though I’d put Glasner and Iraola in the C tier. Lopetegui probably also deserves to be there, let’s see how he does in England.

Maresca is the biggest unknown for me

Ten Hag's inexplicable stubbornness should get him demoted now, even though I definitely rate (rated?) him very highly even until the latter stages of last season.

The only other change I'd make is demote Emery as I don't think anyone is really close to Arteta and Pep in the league right now.

Other than that, I think this is overall a decent tier list, but it's difficult to distinguish between some of them, obviously. I reckon Dyche or O'Neil wouldn't look out of place at the clubs that the D tier guys are managing.

I'm also quite skeptical about Lopetegui, but I don't know enough about him to confidently dismiss him.

The dead zone is valid as well, but early signs are that all of them are good enough for at least the D tier, but the sample size is very low.

I think that's fair. I'd have Arteta as like a B+ and Emery as a B-.

I think that's fair. I'd have Arteta as like a B+ and Emery as a B-.

Public perception will definitely change on Arteta when he wins his first PL title or the Champions League. I think it's a matter of when, and not if, if the current setup and structure at Arsenal stay the same for a few more years (so Edu and the board support him), and they don't lose key players.

Public perception will definitely change on Arteta when he wins his first PL title or the Champions League. I think it's a matter of when, and not if, if the current setup and structure at Arsenal stay the same for a few more years (so Edu and the board support him), and they don't lose key players.
Agreed. Funnily enough, if City get punished swiftly, him and Ole can win their first PL titles sooner than they expected.

Agreed. Funnily enough, if City get punished swiftly, him and Ole can win their first PL titles sooner than they expected.

That would be quite something :lol: Wouldn't Mourinho get one too? Klopp would get two as well.

To be honest, I think if they get a big punishment, it's still more likely that those titles are not awarded to the second placed teams, but still get stripped from City.

Personally, I'm not even sure if I'd want those titles, but I'd love Ole to get such a huge reward for the underrated work he did at United (in my opinion), and with José, well, we wouldn't hear the end of it, so it would be great from entertainment purposes anyway. :lol:

To be honest, I think if they get a big punishment, it's still more likely that those titles are not awarded to the second placed teams, but still get stripped from City.
Is it really more likely? I remember that in Italy with the Calciopoli some of the titles went to the second place and some were left unassigned. I'd so love a very late title for Ole :lol:

Is it really more likely? I remember that in Italy with the Calciopoli some of the titles went to the second place and some were left unassigned. I'd so love a very late title for Ole :lol:

Just a personal hunch, based on nothing. I can see the arguments for awarding the second placed teams as well, to be honest. It would be a very bad look on the Premier League no matter what if City were proven guilty, but imagine if the titles were stripped and just assigned as "not awarded" in potentially 8/9 of the last 13/14 seasons.

A - Pep.

B - Arteta, Emery.

C - Slot, Ange, Ten Hag.

How can you put ETH in tier C here?
What he has shown the last 16 months is tier F stuff.
That postmatch presser on Sunday was tier Z. No grasp of the reality that surrounds him.

Slot seems to have a clear idea what he wants to do with Liverpool while Ange still has a lot to prove.

How can you put ETH in tier C here?
What he has shown the last 16 months is tier F stuff.
That postmatch presser on Sunday was tier Z. No grasp of the reality that surrounds him.

Slot seems to have a clear idea what he wants to do with Liverpool while Ange still has a lot to prove.

I did caveat that tier C is one for me where they're on the periphery of B and D. I'd say Ange and Ten Hag are closer to D and Slot is closer to B at the early stages of the season.

It's just a rough assessment. I don't think there is much in the tiers C to E, it comes down to finer details with some managers.

Tiers A and B are clear.

He needs to to be put into that current bracket. So far he’s won an FA Cup and that’s it. Trophies need to start following for him to be classed in the bracket just below Pep.

How do we rate the managers this year? First edition in a long while without Klopp, quite a few new names compared to the last season.

AFC Bournemouth: Andoni Iraola — appointed June 2023 — decent
Arsenal: Mikel Arteta — appointed December 2019 — more than decent
Aston Villa: Unai Emery — appointed November 2022 — very good
Brentford: Thomas Frank — appointed October 2018 — quite good
Brighton & Hove Albion: Fabian Hurzeler — appointed July 2024 — unproven
Chelsea: Enzo Maresca — appointed June 2024 — unproven
Crystal Palace: Oliver Glasner — appointed February 2024 — more than decent
Everton: Sean Dyche — appointed January 2023 — good
Fulham: Marco Silva — appointed July 2021 — good
Ipswich: Kieran McKenna — appointed December 2021 — more than decent
Leicester: Steve Cooper — appointed July 2024 — decent
Liverpool: Arne Slot — appointed July 2024 — more than decent
Manchester City: Pep Guardiola — appointed July 2016 — top
Manchester United: Erik ten Hag — appointed June 2022 — decent
Newcastle United: Eddie Howe — appointed November 2021 — good
Nottingham Forest: Nuno Espirito Santo — appointed December 2023 — decent
Tottenham Hotspur: Ange Postecoglou — appointed July 2023 — quite good
West Ham United: Julen Lopetegui — appointed July 2024 — decent
Wolverhampton Wanderers: Gary O'Neil — appointed August 2023 — more than decent

The longest-serving current manager is Pep Guardiola, followed by Thomas Frank and Mikel Arteta.

I can’t really say that any manager at work in the PL is less than decent, this is the most complicated and debated league in the world… after that, Pep and Emery are head and shoulders above the rest imho.

I can’t really say that any manager at work in the PL is less than decent, this is the most complicated and debated league in the world… after that, Pep and Emery are head and shoulders above the rest imho.
A bit harsh on Iraola maybe? I’d have him in top10 managers in the league

A - Pep.

B - Arteta, Emery.

C - Slot, Ange,

McKenna, Hurzeler, Maresca, Martin, ETH

E - Dyche, Nuno, O'Neil, Cooper,

A bit harsh on Iraola maybe? I’d have him in top10 managers in the league

I am not a big fan of Spanish managers, to be honest: they are all just playing the same tune to me and exploiting opportunistic weaknesses in an open league to grind results they would not achieve in Spain. The Master of the entire lot is Emery aka Lord Grinder.

I am not a big fan of Spanish managers, to be honest: they are all just playing the same tune to me and exploiting opportunistic weaknesses in an open league to grind results they would not achieve in Spain. The Master of the entire lot is Emery aka Lord Grinder.
I see what you mean, but even if they’re a bit boring and repetitive, you gotta give Emery he’s been a very successful manager and loved by the fans of multiple clubs. I guess it’s all that matters

I see what you mean, but even if they’re a bit boring and repetitive, you gotta give Emery he’s been a very successful manager and loved by the fans of multiple clubs. I guess it’s all that matters
Yes and again, Emery imho is the second best manager in the PL and possibly the most suited to United, in case.

A Pep.

B+ Arteta

B Emery

C Ange, Iraola, Glasner, Silva

C- ETH, McKenna, Frank, Howe

D Martin, Dyche

E Nuno, O'Neil, Cooper

Too early to judge / don’t know them enough - Slot, Maresca, Hurzeler, Lopetegui

Slot has a 100% win record and hasn't conceded a single goal in his entire premier league career.

Pep Shmep.

A lot of good coaches with clear and cohesive systems, getting the best out of modest squad, being rated lower than ETH.

Just can’t be, he has had 3 years and there is no sign of coaching anywhere in the team. It’s a mess.

He has to be down in the bottom five if we are speaking in the basis of visible results of coaching.

A* Generational talent - Pep
B* Rising star - Arteta...but needing to win the league soon
B Emery - good but will never get into top of the class territory
B Emerging talent Glasner (intriguing to see what he does from here) / Iraola (who I like) / McKenna (maybe) / Jerry Puddleduck (Aussie guy in Serie B)
B Ange...this season will tell us more about whether he's the real deal
C* Silva and Frank...both very decent on what they've done
C Mid-ranking, needing to show more and could go up or down - ETH / Howe / Lopetegui / O'Neill
D Nuno and Cooper...just limited
D / E Dyche...the game's moved on and Everton need to move on from him

Can't really judge the newbies but Slot and Hurzeler are definitely ones to watch.

Next Prem manager sacked betting market….Ten Hag, Dyche bookies favourites

AFC Bournemouth: Andoni Iraola — Don't know much about him. Too far south to be relevant. Default 6/10
Arsenal: Mikel Arteta - Shiney, reminds me of Jimmy Carr for some reason, tactical discipline, good football, child like reaction to losing games, it's the taking part that counts 8/10
Aston Villa: Unai Emery — Good last season. Has allowed squad to get weaker. Will probably end up sacked this season after Aston Villa revert to being Aston Villa 7/10.
Brentford: Thomas Frank — Good manager. Melting face. 7/10
Brighton & Hove Albion: Fabian Hurzeler — 12 years old. Too early to judge. Repeated beneficiary of opposition brainfart moments ?/10
Chelsea: Enzo Maresca — Doesn't have enough players to fairly judge. 6/10
Crystal Palace: Oliver Glasner — who? Who/10
Everton: Sean Dyche — voice literally sounds like cigarettes. I associate whoever he manages with impending doom. His skill is in delaying it slightly 5/10
Fulham: Marco Silva — Cannot disassociate with hilarious meltdown at OT in the FA Cup. Pros: meltdown. Cons: meltdown. 6/10
Ipswich: Kieran McKenna — Guided Man Utd u18s to the premier league north title 5/10
Leicester: Steve Cooper — weirdly impressive that someone called Steve Cooper has hair. 5/10
Liverpool: Arne Slot — Good start but hasn't yet had to cope with the extreme circumstances Klopp did, such as the wind coming from all directions at once ?/10
Manchester City: Pep Guardiola — unrivalled success. Promised to quit City if it turned out they were cheating so technically retired from the premier league 2 years before being appointed 9/10
Manchester United: Erik ten Hag — Always seems slightly irritated/confused, has same effect on anyone who supports the team he manages. 5/10
Newcastle United: Eddie Howe — silly name 7/10
Nottingham Forest: Nuno Espirito Santo — Ridiculous name 5/10
Tottenham Hotspur: Ange Postecoglou — Exciting tactics. Naive tactics. Tottenham tactics. Hates Tottenham 6/10
West Ham United: Julen Lopetegui — both tottenham and west ham have managers whos names are just random assortments of letters. Will get sacked at some point for "not playing the West Ham way" despite no one knowing what this means other than pretending you won the 1966 world cup
Wolverhampton Wanderers: Gary O'Neil — no one who manages Wolves gets more than 6/10, and can't give them less as they also have to put up with being in Wolverhampton.

Southampton - so irrelevantly far south the OP forgot they even exist.

Last edited:
AFC Bournemouth: Andoni Iraola — Don't know much about him. Too far south to be relevant. Default 6/10
Arsenal: Mikel Arteta - Shiney, reminds me of Jimmy Carr for some reason, tactical discipline, good football, child like reaction to losing games, it's the taking part that counts 8/10
Aston Villa: Unai Emery — Good last season. Has allowed squad to get weaker. Will probably end up sacked this season after Aston Villa revert to being Aston Villa 7/10.
Brentford: Thomas Frank — Good manager. Melting face. 7/10
Brighton & Hove Albion: Fabian Hurzeler — 12 years old. Too early to judge. Repeated beneficiary of opposition brainfart moments ?/10
Chelsea: Enzo Maresca — Doesn't have enough players to fairly judge. 6/10
Crystal Palace: Oliver Glasner — who? Who/10
Everton: Sean Dyche — voice literally sounds like cigarettes. I associate whoever he manages with impending doom. His skill is in delaying it slightly 5/10
Fulham: Marco Silva — Cannot disassociate with hilarious meltdown at OT in the FA Cup. Pros: meltdown. Cons: meltdown. 6/10
Ipswich: Kieran McKenna — Guided Man Utd u18s to the premier league north title 5/10
Leicester: Steve Cooper — weirdly impressive that someone called Steve Cooper has hair. 5/10
Liverpool: Arne Slot — Good start but hasn't yet had to cope with the extreme circumstances Klopp did, such as the wind coming from all directions at once ?/10
Manchester City: Pep Guardiola — unrivalled success. Promised to quit City if it turned out they were cheating so technically retired from the premier league 2 years before being appointed 9/10
Manchester United: Erik ten Hag — Always seems slightly irritated/confused, has same effect on anyone who supports the team he manages. 5/10
Newcastle United: Eddie Howe — silly name 7/10
Nottingham Forest: Nuno Espirito Santo — Ridiculous name 5/10
Tottenham Hotspur: Ange Postecoglou — Exciting tactics. Naive tactics. Tottenham tactics. Hates Tottenham 6/10
West Ham United: Julen Lopetegui — both tottenham and west ham have managers whos names are just random assortments of letters. Will get sacked at some point for "not playing the West Ham way" despite no one knowing what this means other than pretending you won the 1966 world cup
Wolverhampton Wanderers: Gary O'Neil — no one who manages Wolves gets more than 6/10, and can't give them less as they also have to put up with being in Wolverhampton.

Southampton - so irrelevantly far south the OP forgot they even exist.
Feck, I really did forget Southampton :lol:
Anyone rates Russel Martin? I know nothing about him and his game bar the fact he did reasonably well with Swansea and Soton and that he’s very young