Raphaël Varane | Retires

Fair play to him for not seeking out the payouts of certain other parts of the world. Unfortunately injured too often, but when he did play - he was a presence. Seems to have been a consummate professional. Arrivederci Raphael. Thanks for the memories.

Fair play to him for not seeking out the payouts of certain other parts of the world. Unfortunately injured too often, but when he did play - he was a presence. Seems to have been a consummate professional. Arrivederci Raphael. Thanks for the memories.
I don't remember seeing him flirt with UAE or MLS seriously before.
Managing to play a good amount of games in Italy, an hour away from any part of France or Spain would be perfect for him. Don't think he will have it in him to seek another contract after that unless the italian doctors work their magic.

Really nice move.

I see they've just been promoted so will no doubt be looking at him to provide experience and leadership. It's a great challenge to try and help them stay up.

They've also added Alberto Moreno and Pepe Reina (still going) on free transfers from Villarreal in similar fashion. Club record transfer fee paid for Alberto Dossena who Varane will be partnering. Looking to revitalise Andrea Belotti's career too who was once rather lethal in Serie A but has fallen off in recent years.

All the while getting to play in one of the most beautiful places on earth, where the rich and famous from Milan like to hang out.

Gotta love it.

Could end up successful in the same way Big Sam rejuvenated careers at Bolton, could also end up like QPR when they signed a load of big name veterans.

Last edited:
Cesc Fabregas is his manager too.

Como will be an interesting addition to the league for sure.

He is still quality, should be signing for a significantly bigger club (no disrespect to Como).

At 31, from Man Utd to Como? Hmm...is Como able to pay big wages especially on free transfer?

At 31, from Man Utd to Como? Hmm...is Como able to pay big wages especially on free transfer?
I guess the fee they would have paid for anew signing will go towards his wages. He probably took a pay cut, but a cut from 350K a week he will still be earning a decent amount.

I have a feeling there may be some more underlying issues with his body than we know about, he's still only 31 and could still play for a big club.

Wouldn't surprise me if he does a year there and AC or Inter take him.
If he proves his fitness than maybe, paying a player astronomical wages just to play half a season worth of games isn't a great use of resources.

I hear you need a specific visa to play for this team: the como esta.

I'll get my coat.

We should have offered more than Como can afford which is not >200k, I assume.
I couldn't find much on what he's on at Como but he would have received a hefty signing on fee despite lower wages because they signed him on a free, so i would imagine it would have probably evened out to what we have been paying him when you take the whole package into consideration.

He was on 350k here, imo he wouldn't have accepted a cut to 150k which is what he's probably worth due to his injury record.

Don't think of it as Manchester United to Como 1907

Think of it as Manchester to Como.
Exactly.

lake-como-towns-667aaa757880f.jpg

Why does the announcement photo look like he's partnered with H&M and released a range of summer wear? :lol:

People really struggle with the idea that maybe, just maybe, money isn't everything for every player.

I've only spent a couple of days in Como, and that was during a cold late autumn, where me and a friend decided to sleep rough while travelling through Italy and I was stupid enough to think we'd be treated to balmy Mediterranean weather so didn't pack a coat. Even then, Como stood out as a beautiful place.

People really struggle with the idea that maybe, just maybe, money isn't everything for every player.

I've only spent a couple of days in Como, and that was during a cold late autumn, where me and a friend decided to sleep rough while travelling through Italy and I was stupid enough to think we'd be treated to balmy Mediterranean weather so didn't pack a coat. Even then, Como stood out as a beautiful place.

Como is a beautiful place.

If a footballer like Varane who's won a hell of a lot wants to play under little pressure in a beautiful place to see out his later career. I can't think of many nicer places to do it. Has to better than slogging it out in the desert in front of 12 people for a million a week.

Como is a beautiful place.

If a footballer like Varane who's won a hell of a lot wants to play under little pressure in a beautiful place to see out his later career. I can't think of many nicer places to do it. Has to better than slogging it out in the desert in front of 12 people for a million a week.

Plus he's only 31. He can go to the Saudi retirement league in 5 years.

Glad he's stayed in Europe. I'd definitely want to play in Serie A in my 30's if I were a top level footballer.

However if his wage demands to stay weren't astronomical, I do feel like a season more here to help Leny Yoro would have been a good move.