Players that United may have signed but didn’t

I always think back to Ronaldinho... I mean we ended up with Cristiano after missing out on him so it worked out very well in the end... but it would've been magical to see Ronaldinho light up Old Trafford, even if only for a few seasons

Easier to say what players we haven't been linked to, according to the newspapers.

Arjen Robben. The board wouldn't buy 2 £12m teenagers! Imagine Ronaldo and Robben

Did you know that the plan was to sign Neville southall and only when that didn’t work out, we went and signed Peter Schmeichel

We were priced out of buying Kerry Dixon as mark Hughes replacement when he went to Barcelona. Chelsea wanted 2m for Dixon.

Arturo Vidal. I reckon Chilevision gathered the most number of views during that period ever since their existence because of United fans and muppets

Sneijder and Vidal were probably the most annoying transfer sagas

Was only ever properly disappointed by missing out on Lucas, Thiago & Hazard.

Shearer. He would have been amazing. He could have won stuff with us but he chose not to win anything. I admire his commitment to being 2nd.

Going back a long time wilf mcguinness wanted a centre half expected either Bobby moore Mike England or Colin Todd all would have probably joined ended up with Ian Ure Tommy doc had lined up Peter Shilton and Tony currie but was sacked big Ron thought he was going to get Gary lineker and Terry butcher ended up with Terry Gibson seems to be a recurring theme

Ronaldinho and Gazza.
Ronaldinho is my ultimate one

I was still in school, had seen him in the World Cup and thought he was incredible. Couldn't believe it when we bid for him. Had loads of United supporting mates and we thought he was coming so we had kick abouts and pretended to be him. Teletext 10+ times per day to see if he'd signed yet. Gutted when it broke down. And then had to see him be the best player in the World for a few years.

David Hirst, we got a rather decent alternative though.
Loved Hirst. Had it all til injury got him. The power in those shots.

remember we were also linked to Brian Deane and Stan Collymore (what a player he was at Southend and Forest)

We tried to sign del piero when juventus got relegated, but he was flattered and was tempted to work with sir alex but wanted to remain there.

Think he's spoken about it since retiring.

Gutting as I absolutely loved him.

Kroos and LvG vetoed it? Do I have it right?

I remember also SAF attempting to sign Shearer.

Shearer. I wish that happened just as much as Ronaldinho.

I miss when I used to get excited by transfers :lol:

We had Thiago Alcantara lined up but Moyes refused it.
We had Toni Kroos lined up but Van Gaal refused it.

This topic infuriates me to no end! :mad:

Kroos and LvG vetoed it? Do I have it right?
Don't remember if he actually vetoed it or if things just stalled until Real hijacked things, but it was definitely the case that Moyes had him lined up and then it didn't happen when LvG took over.

Paul Gascoigne famously gave SAF his word he was going to sign for us. Can't believe he shafted us, he seems like such a trustworthy bloke.

Similarly, Aaron Ramsey was so close that it was even announced on the club website, was it not?

Paul Gascoigne famously gave SAF his word he was going to sign for us. Can't believe he shafted us, he seems like such a trustworthy bloke.

Similarly, Aaron Ramsey was so close that it was even announced on the club website, was it not?
Think Gazza said Spurs chucked in a house or a car for his dad and that's what swung it.

I think Fergie wanted Darren Anderton in the summer of 95' after Kanchelskis left. Spurs said no.

In the summer of 1996 we were in for Markus Babbel - who wanted too much money - and Brian Laudrup when he was playing for Rangers.

We were interested in Marcelo Salas, who ended up at Lazio. Fergie had a lot of interest in Miguel Nadal, but that didn't happen. There was an interest in Ariel Ortega during 1997/98, but I think Valencia wanted a high loan fee so that fell through.

Bizarrely one of the ones i was desperate for us to sign was Dembele from Fulham! He dominated the midfield against us in a game, we were crying out for a midfielder with some legs at the time and he ended up at Spurs, made absolutely no sense to me as it was really good value (from memory!), its weird how it sticks in my mind as its very unglamorous!

I think Fergie wanted Darren Anderton in the summer of 95' after Kanchelskis left. Spurs said no.

In the summer of 1996 we were in for Markus Babbel - who wanted too much money - and Brian Laudrup when he was playing for Rangers.

We were interested in Marcelo Salas, who ended up at Lazio. Fergie had a lot of interest in Miguel Nadal, but that didn't happen. There was an interest in Ariel Ortega during 1997/98, but I think Valencia wanted a high loan fee so that fell through.

Them were the days, some fantastic names in this post!