Pele is the GOAT (OFFICIAL CONFIRMED)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
  • Longevity: The players making our list have been talismanic players for club and country. I use total games played as a sign of longevity.
  • Trophies: This is tricky. However, when we need to decide between different options, it is best to use simple, absolute and brutal differentiation. For this reason, I’ve limited it to International Trophies — World Cup, European Championship and Copa America. The bar is set high because we’re talking about the best of the best at the world stage.
  • Goals: The total number of goals scored in all competitions. There is an argument that this metric will exclude traditionally non-scoring players. But, when all is said and done, football is about scoring goals. Goals win games. Players who score goals to win games become legendary.

You know, for all the great and terrible things the USA have unleashed on the world the obsession with GOAT talk might be the very worst.

Bonus cringe points when some non US person starts banging about who is on their Mount Rushmore. Get Fecked with that shit. Actually, you know what, Ronaldo fans can stick him on there, Mount Rushmore is tacky.

Last edited:
You know, for all the great and terrible things the USA have unleashed on the world the obsession with GOAT talk might be the very worst.
goats-licking.gif

Still. Gives you some plausible deniability when someone overhears you boasting about banging a goat.

Legend.

His name will always be synonymous with football.

He'll always be the King of Football.

Please, this cannot be allowed here. For god's sake someone has to call him out for this, this is not right mods. I know this poster has a longstanding history here, but this is not right. I can't be the only one that thinks this?

I genuinely don't think it matters where he's ranked on a hypothetical footballing list especially just after he died.

He was the best of his era, brought everlasting glory to his country 2 times and did for the popularization of football what no one has since done.

A giant of football and sporting giant above others, he left his mark on the sport he loved the most and lived a long life and left this world surrounded by his dearest.

I say that's not too bad.

I genuinely don't think it matters where he's ranked on a hypothetical footballing list especially just after he died.

He was the best of his era, brought everlasting glory to his country 2 times and did for the popularization of football what no one has since done.

A giant of football and sporting giant above others, he left his mark on the sport he loved the most and lived a long life and left this world surrounded by his dearest.

I say that's not too bad.
Better than Messi?

Stop this nonsense on the day he passed away. Let’s remember him together for his contributions instead of baiting Ronaldo/Messi fans in making this a toxic thread.

Absolute legend of the game. In my hometown in Kolkata, India, there are temples with his picture in them. That was his influence around the world.

Stop this nonsense on the day he passed away. Let’s remember him together for his contributions instead of baiting Ronaldo/Messi fans in making this a toxic thread.

Absolute legend of the game. In my hometown in Kolkata, India, there are temples with his picture in them. That was his influence around the world.

Be nice to the OP. It's his birthday after all

Bonus cringe points when some non US person starts banging about who is on their Mount Rushmore. Get Fecked with that shit. Actually, you know what, Ronaldo fans can stick him on there, Mount Rushmore is tacky.

A fecking men

Im actually looking forward to the amount of coverage his illustrious career will get over the coming days/ weeks / months in the wake of his death.

There was a video posted here during the world cup which was absolutely fantastic , it was called something like "Pele doing your favourite footballers skills 50 years ago".

This guy was a huge global superstar when I was a kid in the 60s. He had it all.
He, Best and Cryuff were my footballing and sporting heroes. Now they are all gone.
Its really hard for younger people to understand what a huge global figure he was. It is not hyperbole to say he was bigger then football, an absolute icon of his time and even before the internet and social media he was known by virtually everyone on the planet.
We have lost one of the greatest figures in football. RIP

João Saldanha, the coach who helped shape that 1970 side, once said: “Ask me who is the best right-back in Brazil, and I’ll say Pelé. Ask me about the best left-back or midfield man, or the best centre-forward. Always I must say Pelé. If he wants to be goalkeeper, he will be. There is only one Pelé.”

The single most important figure in the history of football

A great gentleman too.

The ONLY footballer who won 3 World Cups.

A GOAT on the Silver Screen too..
Look at this unforgettable bicycle kick against the Nazis

He still played in the tournament and scored one of the greatest world cup goals ever.
True. Only played 1 game and still managed that. Beat 4 defenders, basically Maradona vs Belgium type of goal

True. Only played 1 game and still managed that. Beat 4 defenders, basically Maradona vs Belgium type of goal

2 games. Got injured in the second. If Dybala deserves a medal for 2022 then Pele definitely deserves one for 1962