Our Squad for the 24/25 season - Home Grown/Non-Home Grown players

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I believe our squad is really coming into shape this summer. Even if you don't agree with all the signings, we have bought for the positions where we needed reinforcements. The prices paid have been decent and hopefully the hit rate would be much higher than it has been in the last XI/XII years.

Iirc, as per the PL squad rules in a 25 man squad we can only register a maximum of 17 Non-Home Grown players and U-21 players do not need to be registered (21 in Jan of the registering year). This is our situation:

Non-Home Grown:

(1) Onana
(2) Bayindir

(3) Dalo5
(4) Mazraoui
(5) De Ligt
(6) Martinez
(7) Lindelof
(8) Malacia

(9) Casemiro
(10) Eriksen
(11) Ugarte

(12) Antony
(13) Bruno
(14) Amad

(15) Zirkzee

Home Grown:

(16) Heaton - 1
(17) Maguire - 2
(18) Evans - 3
(19) Shaw - 4
(20) Mount - 5
(21) Rashford - 6

Players who don't need to be registered this season:

(1) Yoro
(2) Mainoo
(3) Garnacho
(4) Hojlund

(5) Collyer
(6) Amass

Last edited:
Could our interest in Sterling because of him being homegrown? I can't think of no other reason. We have lost AWB & McTom without adding another homegrown player.

We look good number wise and only Lindelof is the odd man out. ETH has talked about doubling up per position and we certainly have now with our purchases this window.

Onana/Bayindir/Heaton
Dalot/Mazraoui de Ligt/Maguire Martinez/Evans Shaw/Malacia
Ugarte/Case Mainoo/Eriksen
Amad/Antony Bruno/Mount Garnacho/Rashford
Hojlund/Zirkzee

Yoro, Collyer, Amass,Lindelof
Quality in some positions maybe questionable but we do have more than adequate cover for every position.

It is a fresh team and thats exciting providing we dont get above normal injuries again. But it is currently lacking 1-2 star players you need to be a top team especially in attack. Bruno is only candidate but he is not consistent enough to qualify as much.

But we have done well in amassing three young players in Hojlund, Garnacho and Amad who may have that potential. Look forward to their development and atleast one of them to be our saviour!

Isn't there a 17 non home grown player cap for the league registration?

Case, Eriksen, Lindelof might leave in a season or two.. Rasmus will need to be registered. We have plenty of wriggle room..

I'm not sure about the homegrown rules... I assume Mainoo will be one. How about Garnacho? And Amad?

Isn't there a 17 non home grown player cap for the league registration?

Case, Eriksen, Lindelof might leave in a season or two.. Rasmus will need to be registered. We have plenty of wriggle room..
Yup, you can't have more than 17 non home grown players in the 25 man PL squad. We are currently at 14.

Eriksen and Lindelof will definitely be out by the end of the season and Case & Antony's future should also be up in the air. Hojlund would need to be registered as he'll be 22+ in January '25. But still it leaves a lot of room in terms of squad space as Garnacho, Mainoo and Yoro won't need to registered next season.

I'm not sure about the homegrown rules... I assume Mainoo will be one. How about Garnacho? And Amad?
Mainoo and Garnacho will both be counted as homegrown. However, they don't be registered in the 25 man PL squad yet.

Last edited:
UEFA's rules are a little bit tighter but we come out looking okay there too. There you need 8 home-grown players too, but 4 of those also have to count as 'locally trained' as in having spent 3 years at the club between the ages of 15 and 21 with time out on loan not counting towards it.

We just about make it there with Heaton, Evans, Shaw, and Rashford, but obviously the first two will likely be gone next season. At that point I think Garnacho and Collyer will need to be registered though, so we'd be back up to four again, five the following year with Kobbie.

UEFA's rules are a little bit tighter but we come out looking okay there too. There you need 8 home-grown players too, but 4 of those also have to count as 'locally trained' as in having spent 3 years at the club between the ages of 15 and 21 with time out on loan not counting towards it.

We just about make it there with Heaton, Evans, Shaw, and Rashford, but obviously the first two will likely be gone next season. At that point I think Garnacho and Collyer will need to be registered though, so we'd be back up to four again, five the following year with Kobbie.
Yes. Of the 8 homegrown, 4 need to be club trained between the ages of 15-21 & 4 can be association trained.

Currently, Rashford, Evans and Heaton would qualify as the club-trained players. Shaw, Maguire & Mount would be association trained.

Or did Shaw spent 3 years before his 21st birthday at United?

Yes. Of the 8 homegrown, 4 need to be club trained between the ages of 15-21 & 4 can be association trained.

Currently, Rashford, Evans and Heaton would qualify as the club-trained players. Shaw, Maguire & Mount would be association trained.

Or did Shaw spent 3 years before his 21st birthday at United?
I'm pretty sure Shaw does count. He turned 18 during the off season in which we signed him.

Just pondering here, but I think Amad would've counted as association trained without the loan to Rangers too, but I'm less sure on that one and it's academic anyway.

I'm pretty sure Shaw does count. He turned 18 during the off season in which we signed him.

Just pondering here, but I think Amad would've counted as association trained without the loan to Rangers too, but I'm less sure on that one and it's academic anyway.
We signed him in summer of '20 and then got him for Atalanta in Jan'21. I don't think he'd qualify, but I am unsure too.

We have a lot of squad room anyway: both in the homegrown and the non-homegrown quotas due to the younger players we have.

@didz , Yup, here.

6 is the lowest number of senior home grown players as far as I can remember. However, with Mainoo & Garnacho regulars, Collyer part of the first team squad & Amass training regularly with the first team it takes it to ten. Nine if you don't want to count Amass.

I think with Heaton, Maguire and Evans likely leaving at the end of the season we'd need to invest in one or two English/British/Homegrown players next summer.

Last edited:

Would Collyer count? Looks like he joined in summer 22 and turned 18 in January 22. Going back to my football manager playing days, I don’t think he would.

Would Collyer count? Looks like he joined in summer 22 and turned 18 in January 22. Going back to my football manager playing days, I don’t think he would.
A "club-trained player" is a player who, between the ages of 15 (or the start of the season during which the player turns 15) and 21 (or the end of the season during which the player turns 21), and irrespective of the player's nationality and age, has been registered with the player's current club for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons (i.e. a period starting with the first official match of the relevant national championship and ending with the last official match of that relevant national championship) or of 36 months. In the context of this paragraph, the season immediately preceding a player’s 15th birthday may be counted if the player's birthday is after the last match of the relevant national championship but before or on 30 June (winter championships) or 31 December (summer championships), and the season immediately following the player's 21st birthday may be counted if the player's birthday is on or after 1 July (winter championships) or 1 January (summer championships) but before the first match of the relevant national championship.

That's direct from the UEFA regulations handbook. The bolded is the most relevant factor here, as Collyer would have the season in which he was 18 turning 19, 19 turning 20, and 20 turning 21 (this season) all counted towards it, provided we don't loan him out.

A "club-trained player" is a player who, between the ages of 15 (or the start of the season during which the player turns 15) and 21 (or the end of the season during which the player turns 21), and irrespective of the player's nationality and age, has been registered with the player's current club for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons (i.e. a period starting with the first official match of the relevant national championship and ending with the last official match of that relevant national championship) or of 36 months. In the context of this paragraph, the season immediately preceding a player’s 15th birthday may be counted if the player's birthday is after the last match of the relevant national championship but before or on 30 June (winter championships) or 31 December (summer championships), and the season immediately following the player's 21st birthday may be counted if the player's birthday is on or after 1 July (winter championships) or 1 January (summer championships) but before the first match of the relevant national championship.

That's direct from the UEFA regulations handbook. The bolded is the most relevant factor here, as Collyer would have the season in which he was 18 turning 19, 19 turning 20, and 20 turning 21 (this season) all counted towards it, provided we don't loan him out.
Yeah that makes far more sense!

2024/2025 Squad Assessment:​

✯✯✯✰✰
Onana

✯✯✰✰✰
Bayindir
✯✰✰✰✰
Heaton

✯✯✯✰✰ ----------------------------- ✯✯✯✯✰ -------------------- ✯✯✯✯✰ -------------------- ✯✯✯✰✰
Dalot
---------------------------------- De Ligt ----------------------- Martinez ----------------------- Shaw
✯✯✯✰✰ ----------------------------- ✯✯✰✰✰ ------------------- ✯✯✯✰✰ -------------------- ✯✯✰✰✰
Mazraoui
----------------------------- Maguire ------------------------ Yoro -------------------------- Malacia
-------------------------------------------- ✯✯✰✰✰ --------------------✯✯✰✰✰--------------------- ✯✰✰✰✰
--------------------------------------------- Lindelöf ----------------------- Evans-------------------------- Amass

✯✯✯✯✰
Ugarte

✯✯✯✰✰
Casemiro

✯✯✯✰✰ ---------------------------------- ✯✯✯✯✰
--Mainoo --------------------------------- Fernandes
✯✯✯✰✰ ---------------------------------- ✯✯✰✰✰
Mount
-------------------------------------- Eriksen
✯✯✰✰✰
---------------------------------- ✯✰✰✰✰
--Gore --------------------------------------- Collyer

✯✯✯✰✰ --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ✯✯✯✰✰
--Amad ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Garnacho
✯✯✰✰✰ -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------✯✯✯✰✰
--Antony ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Rashford

✯✯✯✰✰
Hojlund

✯✯✯✰✰
Zirkzee
✯✰✰✰✰
Wheatley

Summary​

Total squad size: 29
Average squad rating: 2,6

Defense Squad: 2,5
Starting XI Defense: 3,4
Midfield Squad: 2,8
Starting XI Midfield: 3,7
Attacking Squad: 2,6
Starting XI Attack: 3,0

2024/2025 Squad Assessment:​

✯✯✯✰✰
Onana

✯✯✰✰✰
Bayindir
✯✰✰✰✰
Heaton

✯✯✯✰✰ ----------------------------- ✯✯✯✯✰ -------------------- ✯✯✯✯✰ -------------------- ✯✯✯✰✰
Dalot
---------------------------------- De Ligt ----------------------- Martinez ----------------------- Shaw
✯✯✯✰✰ ----------------------------- ✯✯✰✰✰ ------------------- ✯✯✯✰✰ -------------------- ✯✯✰✰✰
Mazraoui
----------------------------- Maguire ------------------------ Yoro -------------------------- Malacia
-------------------------------------------- ✯✯✰✰✰ --------------------✯✯✰✰✰--------------------- ✯✰✰✰✰
--------------------------------------------- Lindelöf ----------------------- Evans-------------------------- Amass

✯✯✯✯✰
Ugarte

✯✯✯✰✰
Casemiro

✯✯✯✰✰ ---------------------------------- ✯✯✯✯✰
--Mainoo --------------------------------- Fernandes
✯✯✯✰✰ ---------------------------------- ✯✯✰✰✰
Mount
-------------------------------------- Eriksen
✯✯✰✰✰
---------------------------------- ✯✰✰✰✰
--Gore --------------------------------------- Collyer

✯✯✯✰✰ --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ✯✯✯✰✰
--Amad ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Garnacho
✯✯✰✰✰ -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------✯✯✯✰✰
--Antony ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Rashford

✯✯✯✰✰
Hojlund

✯✯✯✰✰
Zirkzee
✯✰✰✰✰
Wheatley

Summary​

Total squad size: 29
Average squad rating: 2,6

Defense Squad: 2,5
Starting XI Defense: 3,4
Midfield Squad: 2,8
Starting XI Midfield: 3,7
Attacking Squad: 2,6
Starting XI Attack: 3,0
Quality might be a bit questionable in some areas but there is depth and versatility there. People seem very worried about the left back spot but if (and it's a big if) Malacia and Amass can kick on then it shouldn't be too bad. Centre midfield could be an issue with a few injuries but Mount and Bruno can play a deeper role if necessary.

Once again though, the forward line is probably the biggest problem. Really need some of these players to step up big time.