Old Utd Fans, how was it like during 1989/90 season?

Anton Trencher

There was an acceptance in those days that the League was beyond us, but that we may be good enough on any given day to win the FA/League Cup every now and then. Fergie changed all that after he was given time. Just not convinced ETH will do the same this time round.

stevoc

I actually didn’t know any United fans early 90s. I knew Liverpool mostly , couple of Leeds , Villa (Irish players playing for them) and spurs fans but no United ones.

I remember watching bits of the famous 3-3 draw away with Pool , standing on a box outside a pub trying to look in through the window.

You think about football availability now and then , it’s nuts. Even listening to Fa cup games. I remember listening to 5 live (I think) and Keith Gillespie scored against Im gonna say bury. Commentary is something like “remember that name Keith Gillespie”.

I find the over saturation Of football kind of dilutes enjoyment. On one level I like being able to see all United games , but on another there’s no real excitement as there’s no real value to be watching them. It’s maybe concept of supply/demand whereby the harder it is to get something the more we value it (or some other psycho babble like that).
Yeah when I was still in school I used to listen to some games on 5 live, a few times they weren't even on on there I remember sitting watching the score on ceefax one day when I was about 12 :lol:

Once me and my mates left school and found out that pubs showed games that weren't televised that was a game changer.

Josh 76

I supported Utd from the Tommy Doc era and the 80s was a roller coaster of changing managers but also buying the wrong type of players - especially strikers :- Birtles, Davenport, Brazil, Gibson - strikers that were used to playing on the break IMO but seemed to lose their pace when they signed for Utd !
89/90 was a typical season in this period - very inconsistent but we could pull out a performance in the cup.
The following 90/91 season we should have won the league but ran out of steam in the run in as the players got knackered with a fixture pile up plus Robbo was only playing half a season due to persistent injuries and his drinking probably didn't help.
Cantona was the signing that made all the difference and the youth players coming through the icing on the Fergie Cake ....
It wasnt the following season that we should have won the league. It was the season after. We fished 6th in the 1990-91 season and won the European Cup Winners Cup. Think we lost to Sheffield Wednesday in the League Cup final that season as well.

redshaw

I thought we were getting better and had some good players like Hughes and Robson, Pool and Arsenal were the top teams and we went to Highbury and thrashed them. There was pressure from the fans and the club being sold to Knighton but I'm so glad Edwards stuck with Fergie. Perhaps it was his incredible time at Aberdeen and Sir Bobby getting him in or just behind the scenes they could see he was elevating the squad. 1990 FA Cup win, 91 Cup winners Cup win against Barcelona, challenging for the league in 92 show we were indeed on a good path and the man built many squads, he wasn't saved, it was his managing skill that saved him every year and before he came here, over 4 decades a top manager.

We have players and they're expected to score and win, that's what Mark Robbins did, what Hughes did, that's football. RVP was signed and scored for us, it's like some expect us to win with the tea lady and 115fc cheat their way.

lysglimt

Scout
The 89/90 season was a strange one for me. I have never - ever - felt so optimistic as a United-fan as I did a few weeks into september that season (this was prior to transfer windows). To put things into perspective - we had lost Whiteside and McGrath, true - but we had signed Norwich's captain Phelan, arguably the best attacking midfielder in the league in Webb. A brilliant winger in Wallace. And two highly rated players in their early twenties - Pallister and Ince.

We had a net spend of £6 million - which was an insane amount of money. No other clubs had a netspend of over £1.5 million as I recall. We were basically trying to blow everyone out of the water with our signings.

And it started so well (if you ignore Michael Knightons failed purchase of the club) - we destroyed Arsenal 4-1 - and after that it was mostly downhill apart from a small spell in october/november where we won 4 games out of 5. To me the negative turning point (and the only time I said I wanted Ferguson fired) was when we lost at home to Palace. We didn't play poorly - we destroyed them in the 1st half but Nigel Martyn who made his debut was insane and kept the score down to 1-0. In the second half - they turned it around and won 2-1. There was a lot of boooing that afternoon.

3 months without a win in the league - until we came from behind to beat Millwall 2-1 away. And at that time we were getting close to relegation. But it should also be added - we rarely got destroyed. It's not like we lost every game by 2-3 goals. We just couldn't score goals. And then we won 4 games in a row in march/april - and that combined with the performances in the FA Cup stopped the negativity. And by the start of the season after - the optimism was back - and this time it was justified.

Chumpsbechumps

Yeah when I was still in school I used to listen to some games on 5 live, a few times they weren't even on on there I remember sitting watching the score on ceefax one day when I was about 12 :lol:

Once me and my mates left school and found out that pubs showed games that weren't televised that was a game changer.
Ah Ceefax, waiting for the pages to load to the match you want. I remember when the tv remote Color buttons came in where you coukd switch between match update pages faster ! Good times !!

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Similar feeling to what it is now. We'd only won the odd trophy in the last 10 years. The football was poor and Liverpool were the Man City of that time. winning everything.

At the time 89/90 wasn't a turning point and it wasn't until Eric came along in 92 that things really changed. It's hard to believe one man changed the whole dynamic of the team. Yes Fergie was a genius but without Eric it may never have been.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Fergie's biggest achievement was almost making it seem normal to finish seasons for 21 years in the top 3 and challenging for a trophy. That just didn't happen to the same extent before that. Even when we had a dodgy period between 2004 and 2006, we still won two trophies and never finished outside 3rd.

From winning the cup in 1990 to retiring in 2013, there was only two seasons where we didn't go into the last competitive game of the season either still fighting for a trophy or playing with the knowledge that we'd already won something.

The turning point, ultimately, probably was beating Forest in 1990 and winning the cup etc but everything else that happened after couldn't have possibly been down to one player (even Cantona). To achieve that level of consistency, there has to be an amazing structure/vision going on.

LDUred

I remember that win at Millwall. We were 1-0 down. I remember thinking, this is it. Then I checked the score on Grandstand and couldn't believe we had won. I think Danny Wallace and Mark Hughes scored. Had we lost that day, I really think Utd could have got relegated.

In a weird way, I loved those days. Maybe it's nostalgia. Football was different in those days. There wasn't much coverage as there is today, so any opportunity to watch it on TV was gold dust. I remember doing my paper round in the mornings and was so excited who we were going to sign.

That season Utd went on a mad spending spree. We started off by smashing the Champions (Arsenal) 4-1 on the opening day of the season. Then it all went down hill. The FA Cup run was amazing. We were drawn away from home in all of the rounds. Forest, Hereford, Newcastle. Then was the classic semi final against Oldham.

I remember it all like it was yesterday. Loved it all!
Totally agree. People always mention the Forest result because there were strong rumours of SAF getting sacked, but the win at Millwall from 1-0 down was probably just as important. Losing to a side that were favourites to go down would have dragged United into the mire.

Tarrou

I was 9 or 10 but my overall feeling was one of immense optimism under Fergie at that time

I mean I was just a kid so I didn't know shit but I was excited for where we were heading for sure.. but at that time, we'd come from being shit for a long time so it's not like there were huge expectations anyway

UTD_Since_1978

Well, as an old git, I did enjoy their FA Cup run despite always getting drawn away from home.

redmanx

Things were far worse in the early 70s. We had been European Cup winners in 1968 and, but for a "disallowed" goal in the dying minutes against AC Milan in the 1969 European Cup semi final would have most certainly gone on to beat Ajax in the final; Ajax were a long way from becoming the team they became a few years later.
Wilf McGuiness took over from Sir Matt in the summer of 69 and, although he took us to 3 semi finals, the League Cup twice and the FA Cup, he was sadly out of his depth and Sir Matt returned in a temporary role until Frank O'Farrell was brought in.
Our league performances had been poor for a couple of seasons and we had become a "Cup" team, but Sir Matts return eased things and we started performing again. Stories abounded that Wilf had been an unpopular choice as manager and that he "had something to prove" by dropping the likes of Law, Best, Charlton, Crerand, Stepney, Dunne and others, but he and Sir Matt both refuted this and Wilf still does. Unfortunately O'Farrell quickly began to drop players too, and before long we were in a terrible mess.
Tommy Docherty was, at first, a breath of fresh air and stated outright that he wanted Law, Best, Charlton etc to keep playing while he built a new team around them. Again, at first things went well, but there was no doubt that Docherty was none too sorry when Bobby Charlton retired in '73. Denis Law hinted at retiring and was told by Docherty that there would be a job for him on the coaching staff, but while Denis was on holiday Docherty packed him off on a "free" to Man City. Law was disgusted at this and even today refuses to discuss it; George Best "retired" in '74.

With Docherty we were relegated but came straight back the following season winning the old Second Division at a canter and playing fantastic football. Next season we finished 3rd in the First Division and runners up in the FA Cup but won it the next season We struggled to finish 10th the following season and were knocked out of the FA Cup in rnd 4. Docherty had begun an affair with the physios wife and was shirking his duties as manager and was sacked.

A few years later, Denis Law, Pat Crerand and other United players backed Willie Morgan when Docherty tried to sue him for libel. Morgans QC ripped Docherty apart and proved he was a liar, getting him to admit he had lied to Denis Law amongst others. After 3 days or so Docherty was advised to drop his case and settle, the amount was never disclosed. So, not only was the team inconsistent and, largely, unsuccessful between 1972 and 1978 we had a poor manager in O'Farrell followed by a manager who told lies, Docherty. And things werent much better under Dave Sexton!

RedIan

The main thing i recall is the chanting of “Fergie Out” booming from the Stretford end. it was a bit grim. Hang your heads in shame those who joined in.

Imagine if Red cafe existed then, and all the polls put up by the glory hunters.
“Allow Fergie to manage the fa cup final before sacking”
“ Or sack now and get an interim“

sounds familiar? Interestingly I've not heard an ETH out chant at Old Trafford so far.

I remember being in the gym when the radio announced we had signed Cantona from Leeds. It sounded hard to believe but was A pivotal moment. From that moment Cantona became my fav player, watching him on the ball was spell binding. He made the difference and his impact on other players was key to winning the title.

Best of all i remember walking down the Warwick road for the final home came v Blackburn when we had won the First title in 26 years. The atmosphere outside the ground was awesome, a huge party mood with flags waving. It was such an amazing buzz.
That buzz was Only matched later in 99 in the Nou camp. from the moment we equalised to, still celebrating as Ole scored the winner. Post match scenes with the players and crowd celebrating together remain a treasured memory.

Moriarty

Things were far worse in the early 70s. We had been European Cup winners in 1968 and, but for a "disallowed" goal in the dying minutes against AC Milan in the 1969 European Cup semi final would have most certainly gone on to beat Ajax in the final; Ajax were a long way from becoming the team they became a few years later.
Wilf McGuiness took over from Sir Matt in the summer of 69 and, although he took us to 3 semi finals, the League Cup twice and the FA Cup, he was sadly out of his depth and Sir Matt returned in a temporary role until Frank O'Farrell was brought in.
Our league performances had been poor for a couple of seasons and we had become a "Cup" team, but Sir Matts return eased things and we started performing again. Stories abounded that Wilf had been an unpopular choice as manager and that he "had something to prove" by dropping the likes of Law, Best, Charlton, Crerand, Stepney, Dunne and others, but he and Sir Matt both refuted this and Wilf still does. Unfortunately O'Farrell quickly began to drop players too, and before long we were in a terrible mess.
Tommy Docherty was, at first, a breath of fresh air and stated outright that he wanted Law, Best, Charlton etc to keep playing while he built a new team around them. Again, at first things went well, but there was no doubt that Docherty was none too sorry when Bobby Charlton retired in '73. Denis Law hinted at retiring and was told by Docherty that there would be a job for him on the coaching staff, but while Denis was on holiday Docherty packed him off on a "free" to Man City. Law was disgusted at this and even today refuses to discuss it; George Best "retired" in '74.

With Docherty we were relegated but came straight back the following season winning the old Second Division at a canter and playing fantastic football. Next season we finished 3rd in the First Division and runners up in the FA Cup but won it the next season We struggled to finish 10th the following season and were knocked out of the FA Cup in rnd 4. Docherty had begun an affair with the physios wife and was shirking his duties as manager and was sacked.

A few years later, Denis Law, Pat Crerand and other United players backed Willie Morgan when Docherty tried to sue him for libel. Morgans QC ripped Docherty apart and proved he was a liar, getting him to admit he had lied to Denis Law amongst others. After 3 days or so Docherty was advised to drop his case and settle, the amount was never disclosed. So, not only was the team inconsistent and, largely, unsuccessful between 1972 and 1978 we had a poor manager in O'Farrell followed by a manager who told lies, Docherty. And things werent much better under Dave Sexton!
The Doc was certainly economical with the truth when it suited him but I maintain that he would have had won the league by 1980. He was sacked not long after the 77 cup final so we'll never know what might have been, but the club was on an upward trajectory. The business with Willie Morgan and Denis Law was sordid to say the least and left the Doc's reputation in tatters.

O'Farrell started off on the wrong foot. He was lied to by Busby about his salary and had to contend with players going over his head to Matt's office whenever they had a grievance. Best was going off the rails but he was backed by the board. His signings were a mixed bag but the outstanding one was Martin Buchan who filled a hole in the centre of the defence that had been there since Bill Foulkes retired. Ian Moore had an injury record, Wyn Davies was a decent target man and Ted MacDougall knew how to score, albeit in the 3rd Division, Nevertheless, he had success at Southampton and Norwich so you could argue that he wasn't given a fair crack of the whip at United. We needed a replacement for Alex Stepney but Busby twice vetoed a move for Shilton. Inconsistency remained our bugbear until Fergie arrived and had to build the club from the ground up. Sexton should have done better with the players at his disposal and so should Big Ron but we never seemed to be able to sustain a tilt at the title that virtually lived at Anfield.

Monmouthshire Red

Supports
Chester
The Doc was certainly economical with the truth when it suited him but I maintain that he would have had won the league by 1980. He was sacked not long after the 77 cup final so we'll never know what might have been, but the club was on an upward trajectory. The business with Willie Morgan and Denis Law was sordid to say the least and left the Doc's reputation in tatters.

O'Farrell started off on the wrong foot. He was lied to by Busby about his salary and had to contend with players going over his head to Matt's office whenever they had a grievance. Best was going off the rails but he was backed by the board. His signings were a mixed bag but the outstanding one was Martin Buchan who filled a hole in the centre of the defence that had been there since Bill Foulkes retired. Ian Moore had an injury record, Wyn Davies was a decent target man and Ted MacDougall knew how to score, albeit in the 3rd Division, Nevertheless, he had success at Southampton and Norwich so you could argue that he wasn't given a fair crack of the whip at United. We needed a replacement for Alex Stepney but Busby twice vetoed a move for Shilton. Inconsistency remained our bugbear until Fergie arrived and had to build the club from the ground up. Sexton should have done better with the players at his disposal and so should Big Ron but we never seemed to be able to sustain a tilt at the title that virtually lived at Anfield.
I also think that we would have won the league under Doherty.
The football under Sexton was largely awful.