Nordic Ghost Yeti (Scandi Carroll) | Haaland at City

That proves nothing really when most of his goals for Norway were scored against teams weaker than Norway.
Well then, that's also true for any striker in any era playing for any top-four team in any league.

Why is he worth a million a week? Sure he scores goals but what impact will these additional goals have in the long run? If they fail in the CL then what was the investment for? £1million per week just to score some goals and break personal records......
Listen, if you think any top footballer is worth what they’re paid, that’s your prerogative. I don’t, but if you are getting caught up in details, which is the trap you’ve willingly walked into, there’s a list as long as a bad year of top fotballers «less deserving» of their pay than this guy, and clubs who feel the impact of those salaries much more than the UAE’s oil investment fund.

He is the most marketable player in football.

I dont get why people are so up in arms about his salary while there are stock traders and investment bankers earning (and losing other peoples money) more money than Haaland makes in a year, every day before lunch.
It's probably because any person with some sense knows City can offer that because they are cheating the regulations while clubs with less political power are punished for any and all FFP infringements. If they played fair, they would not be able to have him or even the squad that they do. The issue is not what the player earns but, how the club is able to pay him and others.

That proves nothing really when most of his goals for Norway were scored against teams weaker than Norway.
Sometimes I swear some of you come out with the most stupid fecking things:wenger: How about your idol, Messi? Does Argentina often play better teams? Pelé? C.Ronaldo? To devaluate Haalands contributions for City, sure, you can use a few arguments that might make sense, but for Norway? No chance. The mighty Norwegian national team, steamrolling every lesser team or teams around our level:rolleyes: I wish

Sometimes I swear some of you come out with the most stupid fecking things:wenger: How about your idol, Messi? Does Argentina often play better teams? Pelé? C.Ronaldo? To devaluate Haalands contributions for City, sure, you can use a few arguments that might make sense, but for Norway? No chance. The mighty Norwegian national team, steamrolling every lesser team or teams around our level:rolleyes: I wish

Haaland has 21 goals for Norway (currently €338M market value, 42. place in FIFA world ranking). Those are distributed like this:

Austria (243M, 34.): 1 goal
North Ireland (28M, 59.): 2 goals
Romania (76M, 53.): 3 goals
Luxemburg (20M, 92.): 1 goal
Netherlands (473M, 8.): 1 goal
Latvia (9M, 134.): 1 goal
Gibraltar (2M, 204.): 3 goal
Slovakia (126M, 55.): 1 goal
Armenia (28M, 93.): 2 goals
Serbia (328M, 21.): 1 goal
Sweden (179M, 25.): 4 goals
Slovenia (103M, 63.): 1 goal

Please explain how this record prove he scores for weak teams as well? Of his 21 goals only 1 (!) was against a team with a higher market value and only 7 against higher ranked teams, some of which still far inferior to this Norway side.

Again, it is not about the question if Haaland is world class or not, he obviously is. But this notion that he can do it under any circumstances in any system is simply wrong, he's reliant on his team like everyone else and arguably over-averagely so in comparison to the echelon of players he's already compared with. Which is by no means a bad thing. I'd rather have a player who absolutely nails it under the right circumstances than one who is decent but not extraordinary in all situations.

Haaland's record against for Norway against countries ranked above and around (+/-5 places on the FIFA-ranking) Norway at the time the matches were played (Sweden, Serbia, Netherlands, Austria, Romania, Northern Ireland, Slovakia and Turkey):

13 goals and 2 assists in 1053 minutes (11,7 x 90 minutes): 1,11 G/90 and 1,28 G+A/90
Norway scored 22 goals (1 without Haaland on the pitch against Sweden when he got subbed on last 14 minutes for his second app back in 2019) total in these 13 games, so Haaland scored 59% of Norways goals and was directly involved in 68% of their goals.

His record against weaker teams (Slovenia, Montenegro, Greece, Gibraltar, Luxemburg, Armenia, Latvia and Malta):

8 goals and 1 assist in 792 minutes (8,8 + 90 minutes): 0,91 G/90 and 1,02 G+A/90

Norway is extremely dependent on Haaland in the bigger games and against the strongest Nations (Netherlands, Sweden and Serbia) the last 2 years he's been direcctly involved in every goal Norway scored (scored 6 and assisted 1 goals in 5 games)

So this actually isn't true.

Last edited:
Haaland's record against for Norway against countries ranked above and around (+/-5 places on the FIFA-ranking) Norway at the time the matches were played (Sweden, Serbia, Netherlands, Austria, Romania, Northern Ireland, Slovakia and Turkey):

13 goals and 2 assists in 1053 minutes (11,7 x 90 minutes): 1,11 G/90 and 1,28 G+A/90
Norway scored 22 goals (1 without Haaland on the pitch against Sweden when he got subbed on last 14 minutes for his second app back in 2019) total in these 13 games, so Haaland scored 59% of Norways goals and was directly involved in 68% of their goals.

His record against weaker teams (Slovenia, Montenegro, Greece, Gibraltar, Luxemburg, Armenia, Latvia and Malta):

7 goals and 1 assist in 792 minutes (8,8 + 90 minutes): 0,80 G/90 and 0,91 G+A/90

Norway is extremely dependent on Haaland in the bigger games and against the strongest Nations (Netherlands, Sweden and Serbia) the last 2 years he's been direcctly involved in every goal Norway scored (scored 6 and assisted 1 goals in 5 games)

So this actually isn't true.

See, that's the thing: I wouldn't count Northern Ireland with a combined market value of €28M (~1/5 of Haaland's alone) as equal to Norway. Of those teams only the Netherlands are better than Norway, the rest is quite clearly inferior and some of them by huge margins.

Haaland needs chances and he rarely creates those for himself, that's just how it is. I don't get why people have to make things up to as Haaland is already incredible as the target player he is.

See, that's the thing: I wouldn't count Northern Ireland with a combined market value of €28M (~1/5 of Haaland's alone) as equal to Norway. Of those teams only the Netherlands are better than Norway, the rest is quite clearly inferior and some of them by huge margins.

Haaland needs chances and he rarely creates those for himself, that's just how it is. I don't get why people have to make things up to as Haaland is already incredible as the target player he is.
My point was: the stronger the opposition, the more he stands out and the more dependent Norway is of him. When they only produce 3 chances in a game you need that man to finish them off. When they play weaker opponents the other players flourish more.

I can't believe Neymar is 30 years old but has only 42 goals. Considering some of the teams he has played for and the talent he has, I'd put him in the same category as Adriano/Robinho/Luis Fabiano who failed to maximize their talents. He may be a better player than them but he has underperformed expectations. Maybe SAF was right when he once said "The ability to work hard is also a talent!"
That is as dumb a post as they come. Neymar is a no 10 whose game is not defined by his goals. Its players like Haaland and Cristiano whose game is defined only by goals since that is the only aspect of their game that they are really really good at.
Messi 0.8 is insane already, but 1.27 is on another level. But Messi and CR7 has been doing this for decade.
It is. It is even more incredible that Messi has that ratio whilst being much much more than a goalscorer.

21 goals in 23 for Norway shows that no, he really doesn't
He is a World class target man who is unbelievably efficient. Let's not pretend he creates his own chances or that he is also a good passer or creator of chances. He needs the team behind to get him the ball in goalscoring positions.

FYI of his 23 goals, majority were against the likes of Gibraltar, Northern Ireland, Romania, Austria, Slovenia, Slovakia, Armenia, Latvia.

Why is he worth a million a week? Sure he scores goals but what impact will these additional goals have in the long run? If they fail in the CL then what was the investment for? £1million per week just to score some goals and break personal records......

This article is from the daily mail, how did they got the info and not serious newspapers like guardian or bbc?

And if he bangs in goals every week its great for marketing, he got me to turn in to city games and ive been ignoring them since they signed Tevez, im guessing im not the only one in the world turning in to see if he can score again.

And Norway was ranked like 60 when he made is debut, he shoot them up to about rank 40 so yea now maybe norway is ranked higher then some of the teams he scored vs, but not when he did it.

Look at his stats from transfermarkt, he scores in every competition he enter, seems really dumb to die on the hill that Haaland only score because of his team.

anyway I put this thread on ignore now, its pointless

Haaland has 21 goals for Norway (currently €338M market value, 42. place in FIFA world ranking). Those are distributed like this:

Austria (243M, 34.): 1 goal
North Ireland (28M, 59.): 2 goals
Romania (76M, 53.): 3 goals
Luxemburg (20M, 92.): 1 goal
Netherlands (473M, 8.): 1 goal
Latvia (9M, 134.): 1 goal
Gibraltar (2M, 204.): 3 goal
Slovakia (126M, 55.): 1 goal
Armenia (28M, 93.): 2 goals
Serbia (328M, 21.): 1 goal
Sweden (179M, 25.): 4 goals
Slovenia (103M, 63.): 1 goal

Please explain how this record prove he scores for weak teams as well? Of his 21 goals only 1 (!) was against a team with a higher market value and only 7 against higher ranked teams, some of which still far inferior to this Norway side.

Again, it is not about the question if Haaland is world class or not, he obviously is. But this notion that he can do it under any circumstances in any system is simply wrong, he's reliant on his team like everyone else and arguably over-averagely so in comparison to the echelon of players he's already compared with. Which is by no means a bad thing. I'd rather have a player who absolutely nails it under the right circumstances than one who is decent but not extraordinary in all situations.
I’d agree that he’s far and away from Messi, Ronaldo et all as a footballer, he’ll be on a similar or better level if you just look at goalscoring I think.

The rest of your post is stupid though, I actually watch the Norwegian national team, and your way of calculating which are lesser teams is, imo, borderline retarded. Take out Luxembourg and Gibraltar, and the rest could win vs us on any given day. He doesn’t just get fed you know, if it was that easy Ronaldo would’ve scored a double hattrick yesterday. I do realize it’s pointless to argue with you though, but discussing the Norwegian national team you’re clearly clueless.

Neymar is a no 10 whose game is not defined by his goals.
Neymar is not just a playmaker … he has literally played as a support striker or wide forward all his life … his main job is to score goals. How is he 3 goals away from breaking Pele’s Brazil record if goal scoring, taking up striker positions and starting up front is not his main job? You obviously don’t know what you’re talking about.

If you tripled city's official wage bill I think you'd be close to actual salary, that's why they get players so cheap, the additional "payments" must be known by players in general.

I can see Newcastle operating this way and to be honest I would if I wanted to get around FFP.

I’d agree that he’s far and away from Messi, Ronaldo et all as a footballer, he’ll be on a similar or better level if you just look at goalscoring I think.

The rest of your post is stupid though, I actually watch the Norwegian national team, and your way of calculating which are lesser teams is, imo, borderline retarded. Take out Luxembourg and Gibraltar, and the rest could win vs us on any given day. He doesn’t just get fed you know, if it was that easy Ronaldo would’ve scored a double hattrick yesterday. I do realize it’s pointless to argue with you though, but discussing the Norwegian national team you’re clearly clueless.

I'm sorry mate, but Norway is far better than you portray it. That team not only has Haaland and Ödegaard but also a whole bunch of players who are starters in top 5 leagues and in some cases even for teams that play in European competitions.

I'm sorry mate, but Norway is far better than you portray it. That team not only has Haaland and Ödegaard but also a whole bunch of players who are starters in top 5 leagues and in some cases even for teams that play in European competitions.
Yes, as someone who watch the team, we can probably beat England in a one off on a Tuesday and lose to Latvia on Saturday. Ødegaard isn’t the same player for Norway as for Arsenal, far from it. Haaland is much the same, no matter the team. Take from that what you will.

That is as dumb a post as they come. Neymar is a no 10 whose game is not defined by his goals. Its players like Haaland and Cristiano whose game is defined only by goals since that is the only aspect of their game that they are really really good at.

It is. It is even more incredible that Messi has that ratio whilst being much much more than a goalscorer.

And Messi has been dropping really deep for a lot his career.

We’ve not been to a championship since 2000. And using the market value as a marker is ridiculous, Haaland and Ødegaard skews our value hugely.

We just had our best run in ages (very much thanks to Haaland’s goals) and we still choked twice in a row when we had it all in our hands. Maybe don’t wave off the assessment of people who’ve followed the team closely for decades.

FFS you are overrating Norway way too much.

Do you even realize they haven't qualifed to a World Cup since 1998 and Euro since 2000.

They aren't better than Romania,Austria,Sweden, or Serbia, by any means.

From those lot, 2 have attended a WC in the last years, the other 2 the Euro...while norwegian players had to watch all those tournaments from TV.
Serbia will be in the next WC, while norwegian "super team" will watch the WC from home eating pop-corn.

The way talk about them seems like you are talking about Croatia or something, when reality says Norway is a tier 3 team that has been shit since the 2000s, and haven't qualifed to a big tournament since then...not even to the Euro after the 24 teams expansion, this says a lot, considering even Turkey and Iceland did it, but not the norwegian "super team" that has players in top 5 leagues.

I can't believe people is hyping a team that hasn't been to a WC since 1998 just to discredit Haaland goals.

City paid £50m for Haaland, and will sell him in two years for £150m (release clause). That's £100m in profit. In those two years Haaland will get £100m in salary. City will have Haaland for free. I guess City and Haaland are happy about that deal.

:lol:
But still. Whenever my attention is directed at the ludicrous sums going round in modern professional football, I'm just disgusted. There can be no justification whatsoever for a footballer to take home this kind of money.
Like it or not certain players are crowd pullers, raking in fortunes for their clubs in shirt sales and paying to watch them play. Messi is the obvious one. Last season attendances at camp nou fell off a cliff because he wasn't there. Haaland is a crowd puller just for the sheer numbers he's putting out never mind how much more they'll get in sponsorship for his shirt sales alone.

Taken in context it's not as disgusting as it sounds considering how much extra revenue they bring in. Where I do agree with you is for players like Sancho who does nothing to justify the 350k he's reportedly being paid. That for me is disgusting.

He has a basic salary in line with club's top earner, so he has the same weekly salary like KDB. If he performs well and earn his bonus for goal and assist, or trophies then good for him and he deserves it. I don't understand what "almost guaranteed" bonus is. May be it refers to league title winning bonus? Top goal scorer bonus? It is not like other Man City players do not have performance related bonus.

Last edited:

Sorry to break your delusion but...

Your norwegian super saiyan team full of world class players won't attend the next WC and missed an Euro with 24 slots...24 slots....24 slots (unlike Turkey, Austria, and Iceland), and still stuck in league B in UEFA Nations League.

Must be hard to accept it, but maybe they are a very mediocre team, not the very good team you want them to be just to discredit Haaland.

Last edited:

I appreciate the compliment but this is just not the case. Norway is a, at best, ok European side that havent qualified for a championship in over 2 decades.

I am Norwegian and I do attend the home fixtures at Ullevål stadium. Norway as a national side can have some good games, but they also frequently struggle against "lesser" teams, to the point where it happens so often that Norway is one of the lesser teams themselves. The last time the national side was proper good was probably in 1998 where they could genuinely give anyone a match

We’ve not been to a championship since 2000. And using the market value as a marker is ridiculous, Haaland and Ødegaard skews our value hugely.

We just had our best run in ages (very much thanks to Haaland’s goals) and we still choked twice in a row when we had it all in our hands. Maybe don’t wave off the assessment of people who’ve followed the team closely for decades.
Thank you!

:lol:
But still. Whenever my attention is directed at the ludicrous sums going round in modern professional football, I'm just disgusted. There can be no justification whatsoever for a footballer to take home this kind of money.
People are willing to pay for the shirts and other souvenirs so either the owners or the players are going to take home the money. Blame the stupid crowd who would spend 100 quid for some garbage with a famous name on it.

Do you ever read your posts back before hitting the 'Post Reply' button?

I can't think of a more idiotic way to judge an international team that quoting the 'market value'. If Real Madrid buy Harry Kane for £1bn* why would that make England a great team with the highest market value? It's just devoid of logic.

Also, weren't you arguing against FIFA world rankings not too long ago?

*I'm assuming you've just taken the values the intl squads cost other than anything else.

Here's a fun fact for you - Erling Haaland attended more City games at Maine Road than 99.99% of United and Liverpool fans have attended at Old Trafford and Anfield in their entire lifetimes. Oh, and that's despite City leaving Maine Road before Erling's 3rd birthday.

He had no choice but to go to Maine Rd as that's where his dad was playing. Nobody went to Maine Rd by choice.

You do know he's a Leeds supporter don't you. He was born there. When your interest became known he then stated he was a City fan. In a couple of years when he's ready for his next move he'll probably say he supports the club that's his intended destination.

Enjoy him while you have him. He''ll help the sports washing project no end & might even get you the CL you crave. I implore you not to fall pray to the delusion that you are anything but a stepping stone to bigger & better things.

You sound rather bitter. I'd let it go if I were you.

Here's a fun fact for you - Erling Haaland attended more City games at Maine Road than 99.99% of United and Liverpool fans have attended at Old Trafford and Anfield in their entire lifetimes. Oh, and that's despite City leaving Maine Road before Erling's 3rd birthday.

Have a good day and don't go sucking on too many of those lemons:nono:
Fun fact. Erling is a Leeds fan.

I appreciate the compliment but this is just not the case. Norway is a, at best, ok European side that havent qualified for a championship in over 2 decades.

I am Norwegian and I do attend the home fixtures at Ullevål stadium. Norway as a national side can have some good games, but they also frequently struggle against "lesser" teams, to the point where it happens so often that Norway is one of the lesser teams themselves. The last time the national side was proper good was probably in 1998 where they could genuinely give anyone a match

That might all be the case but it has almost nothing to do with the actual point: Haaland scoring against teams with probably not even second division quality is hardly evidence that he's not a "system player" or doesn't rely on service.

I'm not even criticizing him, just pointing out that the idea of a player being so good that he works under any circumstances is wrong. Had Haaland joined United under Solskjaer for instance, the opinions in here would be the total opposite. They would probably have created more chances due to his great movememt and hunger but still not even remotely enough to keep up the scoring rate he currently maintains. And that's the case for all players, not only Haaland.