Books Munichs: Book by David Peace

Herman Toothrot

Started reading this week. It's not an easy one at all. Very moving and goes into extremely graphic detail of the crash.

Has anyone else read it? Will post more thoughts once I've finished.

Here's the Amazon blurb for context:

From the acclaimed and prize-winning author of The Damned Utd and Red or Dead comes another extraordinary novel about Britain, sport and the formative scars of our collective past.
A devastating depiction of the quotidian, ordinary details of tragedy and loss . . . Quite exceptional. ― Daily Mail

Haunting but full of love . . . Touching on profound themes such as greatness, loss, grief, friendship, resilience and the meaning of sport, Munichs does that, and more. A magnificent book. -- Mike Atherton ― The Times

David Peace is the William Faulkner of the M62. Like the great novelist of the American South, he has created a body of work centred on a relatively small geographical area that, despite being far removed from its seat of power, somehow feels like the seat of the nation's soul. And, like Faulkner, he has employed incantatory vernacular prose to give voice to the people who live there, elevating their traumas and tragedies to the level of the mythic . . . the work of a writer at his peak. ― TLS

Every time I finish a David Peace novel I feel like I've gone a few rounds in the ring with a title contender. I can't think of another British novelist who writes with as much conviction, dedication and sheer bloody-mindedness as Peace. ― Doug Johnstone

[A book] of enormous tenderness . . . The combination of heart, sheer scale and epic narrative sweep adds up to an irresistibly stirring read. ― Sunday Times

Electrifying . . . Here, again, is the need to understand what has preoccupied those closest to us. ― Guardian

Absolutely gripping. Peace's grip on period detail is superb. -- Robbie Millen ― The Times, 'The best books of 2024'

You don't need to be a fan of Manchester United or even know anything about football to enjoy Munichs. This isn't just a book, it's an intricate work of art. ― Irish Independent

Tender, atmospheric - and hopeful... I did not want to leave. ― iNews

From recovery, redemption, loss and grief, to good old swashbuckling sporting heroism, Munichs is a welcome return of a truly great writer. ― Buzz

Peace is that rare thing in literary publishing: a genuine crossover success, bringing the pleasures of well-crafted narrative fiction to readers of true crime, social history and sports biography . . . There is artistry here too, in the author's sensitive weighting of tone and timbre, and the elegant simplicity of the dialogue . . . an elegy for a society's lost innocence. ― Financial Times

In its depth, decency and sheer style, Munichs captures the shock and the sorrow, the drive and hope for the future, and the way football can reflect and focus our culture and society. Truly brilliant. -- John King, author of The Football Factory

What a thing to have written. What a thing to read. A work of exhaustive research, numinous scope, and scalding intimacy; a remorselessly beautiful, grieving, loving testament to a tragedy; and Peace's greatest book yet. -- Tom Benn, author of Oxblood

Luminous and illuminating, a completely gripping novel about despair and repair told with heart and guts and grace. -- Ashley Hickson-Lovence, author of Your Show

Peerless. Peace drops you right into the middle of a profound, national grief and you come out of it with a better understanding of who we were, who we are. A brilliant, brilliant book. -- David Whitehouse, author of About a Son